Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Discover more Shop now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: 25 Mar 2008 16:19:08 GMT
Red rocket says:
I really need help deciding which console is best for me. The Xbox 360 or the PS3. I'm a pretty serious gamer on the PS2 so I was looking to upgrade now that I have a new LCD TV. I love the idea of blue-ray and the free online gaming but looking at the games list nothing really tempts me at the moment for the PS3. I tend to prefer RPG games, platforms and Action games. I'm not a fan however of the shooter games especially in the first person. Does Sony plan any games that aint sport related or shooter related? Or should I play it safe and go for Xbox 360 which has games that I know I want although I'm a bit annoyed that I'll have to pay to go online. Any advice given would be much appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on 25 Mar 2008 23:07:39 GMT
HairThief says:
Hiya,

I've had a 360 for over a year now and been exceptionally happy with it. Yes, paying for Xbox Live isn't ideal but I consider it amazing value for money (especially if you pay annually). I've got 106 trial arcade games that I can play around with (admittedly many are just retro games with poor gameplay/graphics but they have a big nostaglia feel), you can get a wide range of demos of the main games, giving a good opportunity to try before you buy, plus numerous extra add-ons. Plus I love the ability to compare/compete against my mates online with the achievement systems, makes the life of a game much longer. So, for a solid games console, the Xbox is a safe bet and the games are wide ranging but there is a tendancy to FPS but you'll probably find that anywhere.

I'm currently considering getting a PS3 though myself, mainly before I'm looking at Blue-ray players now the 'war' is over. Rather than buying a stand alone player, a PS3 makes more sense with free online ability and ability to browse the net, it's a winner.

Personally, I'd imagine I'm still going to use the 360 for the online/offline games but the PS3 gives me an opportunity to start down the Blue-ray path with addition of some nifty games and free net stuff. Over time the PS3 will probably rule the roost unless Microsoft come up with some big plan. In the short term though, my Xbox was a great buy a year ago and now the hard drive is bigger and reduced in price, it's even better.

I don't know if that helps but just my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on 17 Apr 2008 16:54:49 BDT
Fenix Rising says:
Hi, I think you've almost answered your own question. The x360 does have a better range of games however the bulk of these games that are not available for the PS3 consist of the genre that you have indicated that you are not keen on such as Halo 3 and Bioshock which are of course, first person view shooters. I have both consoles. I started with a x360 and as I am as equally a movie buff as I am a gamer I had to get the PS3 for the blu ray player. After a very slow start on the games front, you should see a better range of titles coming out for the PS3. Having said that the only big title the PS3 has coming up this year is Metal Gear Solid. Which is probably not your cup of tea anyway (or mine for that matter). However if you like the idea of a blu ray player and free online gaming then go for the PS3. The current selection of PS3 titles are more than enough to satisfy your taste in games. Having said that Fable 2 looks like an amazing x360 title...

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2008 00:26:42 BDT
Last edited by the author on 18 Apr 2008 00:32:15 BDT
Have had a 360 for about a year and a half now and rarely play the thing for the simple reason that it sounds like a jet getting ready to take off and only gets louder when accessing the DVD drive. To put this in perspective, I work in IT and have three PC's that are running most of the time as well as an HD projector which is fairly loud itself and the 360 drowns out all of these when it's on.

I would also add that I consider myself a "Hardcore" gamer and own most of the consoles that have been released in this country and some that haven't (Net Yaroze...anybody?) so it says a lot that I rarely play this machine.

On the other hand, if you can live with the noise and make sure it's placed in a well ventilated area to avoid overheating it does exactly what it says on the tin. There is a good range of games and they look great in HD...or for that matter on a standard TV via the good old scart socket...

Only other gripe is that (Unlike the PS3) you have to pay for access to Xbox Live if you want to play online.

If I were to make a choice knowing what I do now I think I would go with the PS3, however have reservations about Sony's offerings due to the removal off hardware backwards compatibility for ps2 games on the European model and a number other minor changes that crept in before it's release so haven't yet taken the plunge.

It is only a matter of time though as Sony's online offering is looking like it will be an experience in its self (Something akin to "Second Life") and it is reportedly one of the better Blu-Ray players currently on the market.

Price is the only other factor that may be an issue, but don't be fooled by how much cheaper the xbox retails for, as by the time you have bought the extra kit needed to bring the 360 up to a similar spec as the ps3 and access to the online content you my even have spent more. Plus you don't get an HD movie player (HD-DVD is now defunct and Microsoft are stating they don't have any intention of releasing a blu-ray add on in the foreseeable future)

In reply to an earlier post on 18 Apr 2008 18:38:44 BDT
M. Johnson says:
Hey, i'm getting an xbox elite in two days. I used to own a premium when it came out but i sold it thinking my pc was better. I've learnt a hard lesson and bow down to microsoft's xbox. Sony has good stats in the ps3 but xbox is the future of good games.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  25 Mar 2008
Latest post:  18 Apr 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about