This is the 3rd book of unfortuante events written by Lemony Snicket. This book throws the Bauldilaire orphans into more suffering at the hands of the evil count Olaf. There are new characters including Aunt Josophine, a women obsessed with grammer corrections. Prepare for more humor and tradgic events brought to you by Lemony Snicket. I recomend that you read the 1st 2 books before you read this one, so you have a full understanding of the story. It is not as good as the 1st books, but it is still good.
on 2 January 2005
The Wide Window is one of Lemony Snicket's best yet. In this book the Baudelaire orphans encounter Count Olaf for the thirs time, this time disguised as Captain Sham. Their new guardian, Aunt Josephine, is frightened of everything, and believes every word Captain Sham says. Violet is an inventor, Klaus is an eager reader, and Sunny loves to bite things. This book is excellent and is full of surprises around each corner. i never wanted it to end. Sarah aged 9
on 2 September 2001
This is the best book I have read in a long time. It is exciting and gripping with a twist to every turn, Will the Baudelaire orphans be happy ever again? This book is a tantalizing concotion of depression,sarcasm,and irony all in a suttle mix with just the right amount of everything, I cannot wait to see what Lemony Snicket will bring out to amaze us next!
on 27 January 2003
These audio CDs are great when you have a journey to make in the car with orphans, er, children. Lemony Snicket is a great author, however, it is Tim Curry who brings the characters to life, and I was really looking forward to his rendition of Aunt Josphine. Imagine our collective disappointment when it became clear that LS was going to read the whole book himself.
Still the children were riveted to their seats! (figuratively)
on 14 January 2005
My 8 yr old daughter has enjoyed the first 3 of this series tremendously, this the best yet. They 'feel' like a good quality book, the storys have her hooked, & they have educational value, particularly with the use & explanation of some unusual words & phrases. I would recommend for any kids of her age & above. I believe they are future 'classics.' I don't feel younger readers would necessarily appreciate then sometimes dark nature of the books.
on 14 April 2015
This books are amazing! I ordered this with the 4th and 5th installments and it was excellent! I really adore these stories! The story is a continuation of events following the Baudelaire orphans mishaps with Count Olaf in The Reptile Room. In The Wide Window they go to live with their Aunt Josephine but it isn't long before an unwelcome but familiar face tracks them down! Highly recommend these stories if you've never read them, they are fantastic! They centre around three orphans who are sent to live with a man named Count Olaf but he isn't what he appears to be and the Series of Unfortunate Events that began when the children became orphans continues! 5 stars, loved the story, arrived on time.
on 14 February 2005
A Series of Unfortunate Events is one of the best series for kids I have read, and I know that several adults like me enjoy it immensely. Snicket shows a great ability for amusing the reader through funny situations, but most of all through his narrative style. Of course, most of the time, the reader is not laughing, since the Baudelaire orphans are constantly facing miserable situations and in danger of falling under the claws of Count Olaf.
Violet is the oldest orphan and has a great ability for inventing new gadgets that have helped the orphans more than once when they were in trouble. Klaus is the middle one in age and the only male; he loves to read and his knowledge is far superior to most boys his age. Sunny is an infant and enjoys going around biting things with her four sharp teeth. The poor siblings lost their father and are now being chased around by Count Olaf, who wants to get their fortune. The Baudelaire's last tutor succumbed at the hands of the evil Count and now the kids are being taken to their new house by Mr. Poe, the executioner of the estate.
The sibling's new tutor, Aunt Josephine, lives in a house that is leaning over a cliff above Lake Lachrymose. The scary thing is that the lake is infested with hungry leeches, and since these predators killed Josephine's husband, she is terrified of the lake. She is also afraid of stoves, doorknobs, and a whole myriad of harmless things. Due to some of the aunt's fears, the orphans have to eat cold food and refrain from answering the phone. On top of that, they have to endure the grammar "lessons" Josephine is constantly delivering because she loves the subject.
Even though things are not perfect, the Baudelaire siblings are content with their new situation. That is until Count Olaf shows his ugly face in a new disguise, repeating in his approach to getting the desired fortune a pattern already seen in the past. This is the only criticism I have for this book and the reason why I am not giving it five stars. I hope that in the next installment, the author changes the basic structure of the story flow. I am still very much eager though to read the next book and to watch the movie coming out in December 2004, which is based on the first three books of the series: "The Bad Beginning", "The Reptile Room" and "The Wide Window".
on 18 July 2007
This book and The Erzats Elevator are my favourite books written by Lemony Snicket. The plot to this one is more intriguing than most of the others as it involves more exciting chapters. The chapters I am refering to are the ones where they are sailing in a hurricane and the leeches are attacking.

Lemony Snickets writing style is quite funny at times but it can also be quite tiresome after a while. I can't help but wish tha a more talented author had come up with the idea for this series and written it better.

I reccomend this series of books and especially this book but if you read the whole series I must warn you that the end of the series is terrible.
After a sad encounter in the last book, the orphans are taken to Aunt Josephine who is afraid of just about everything yet absolutely loves grammar. In her house is a big window looking over Lake Lachrymose. Then of course Count Olaf arrives in his disguise as an old sailor and Aunt Josephine starts to like him. She is deceived by Olaf, but escapes to Curdle Cave, leaving a message in code for the children who are, of course, geniuses and discover the code. They go out to find her and they do but on the way back they are attacked by leeches! Will they get back to the shore in time to catch the Count, or will their boat brake to bits and sink…?

The Count’s main features described are his one long eyebrow and his eye on his ankle. In the first few books a part of Olaf’s disguises are something over his ankle. In this book he uses a wooden leg but Aunt Josephine is too much in love to listen to what the children say.

I’m thinking of becoming an author when I’m older but I’ll also have another job. Don’t know what that’s going to be… Anyway, Lemony Snicket and some of my other favourite authors have inspired me and I hope I’m encouraging you to read these books so you might be inspired too! But if you are not the writing type then you can always illustrate some books like Brett Helquist, who illustrates this series magnificently.
on 20 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book and it was the closest yet to a happy ending. I don't think that this deserves 5 stars because it Is getting a bit repetitive but I did like it. The other books left me with a sad feeling but this was better because although the ending doesn't make everything okay, it leaves them in a better situation than it has through the rest of the book.

I really like the fact that the author almost talks to you throughout the story for example, if there is a word that you don't tend to use much and you probably don't know what it means then he said "...... which in this case means......." and I really like that as I learned a lot of new words throughout this book.

Over all I think this is a really great book that you should definitely read, And if you do then I hope you enjoy it!!