Customer reviews

September Ends
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 11 December 2016
It's not very often I read a modern day romance and fall in love with the book. This beautifully written novel is a rare exception. It is original and so unique and one of its gifts is the lyrical prose and the way in which the author has interwoven the character, Jack O Savage and his poetry seamlessly into the narrative. In the beginning, this character is almost a cipher, but he grows into something far larger and far more interesting. Through the main character, Liz, as a reader, I feel as if I travelled through her life full circle - I was on that journey with her, every step of the way and I smiled when she did, cried when she was bereft. The story truly is so powerful. It is so well done and I was hooked from the first few lines - it was one of those books I couldn't put down. September Ends is exceedingly well crafted, and it is funny, sad, tragic, highly emotive and full of twists and turns. While it contains romance, it may be more true to class this as women's fiction but either way, it is a highly recommended read; a beautiful story that will remain with you for a long time.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 14 October 2013
I really enjoyed this story which documents the relationships of Liz Snow, who felt lost and adrift since she and her brother were in a car crash in which he died. She entered a brief unsuccessful marriage then, while concentrating on her career, became involved with Pete who shared her love of poetry. She eventually met and married Jack, the poet whose blog they both followed. The story is told from different points of view and in the form of emails, letters, diary entries and narrative. There is a fairly racy section in the first half of the book in which Liz and Pete share their fantasies in a private chatroom, and later in the flesh. Nevertheless, I wouldn't class this as Erotica, nor would I say it's Romance. It charts the evolution of a number of interwoven relationships and it's fascinating.

The whole story is beautifully told and the poet Jack is brought to life by means of his poems. We are brought up against personal loss and the characters' reactions to those experiences. I was especially impressed that Jack's poems are different in style from Pete's although written by the same (anonymous) member of the authorship collaboration. I'd love to see more from this pair. It's a seamless collaboration and there's scope for more.
3 people found this helpful
on 28 October 2013
Have you ever read a book you had to put down, because it affected you too much? Have you ever really felt the story touching something deep within you? Has a book ever made you cry, actually cry, I mean sobbing tears, and a band around your heart wrenching inner pain cry? This book had that effect on me. I had to wait a few days after finishing September Ends for the fifth time in two weeks because every time I thought about the book I cried and was at a loss for words. I still can't seem to find the right words to convey how good this book is. How real, how ... basal. It's more than fiction, poetry, or prose, or even literature. This book is us, it's you, it is your friend, your enemy. It is humanity shown through words.
Right, enough with the excitement. The cold hard facts? Plot, rock solid with well foreshadowed events, and a proper arc. Characters, fully fleshed out with an emotional growth that is utterly real. Scene setting, well researched and realistic. Dialogue, realistic with a natural flow. Sentence structure, very fitted to the part of the book it is used.
There were a few typos, and by a few I mean I found two, but only during the last reading my eyes spotted those.
So there you have it. This is a book that either turns me into a sobbing, highly emotional blob of a woman, or a removed, analytic, fact scooper. Would I recommend it? Shoot! Yes!I would even say like Venice it's something you must have `seen' before you die.

(I did not receive any compensation for this review)
3 people found this helpful
on 30 May 2014
Liz Snow believed she had found true love in Peter Hendrix. It was their love of poets and their poetry that brought them together in an internet chat room. They both adored the work of Shelly, Keats and a modern English poet called Jack O Savage. It was the works of Jack O Savage that bonded these two lovers together. He seemed to be speaking directly to them both. But when Liz learns that Peter has betrayed her, she decides she wants nothing more to do with him and moves from America to London. But London can be an incredibly lonely place and she feels miserable and totally cut off from the world. When she discovers that Jack O Savage will be giving a reading in London, she decides to go to see the man who she believes was responsible for messing up her life.

This well written story is told through the words of Liz Snow. She pours out her emotions every day through her diary giving the reader a chance to get to know and understand the feelings of this character. There are a few erotic moments in the story, but it does nothing to take away the full impact of this wonderful romance. A very enjoyable read.
on 19 December 2013
A stunningly poetic and beautiful story. Exceptionally well written.
I'm not usually patient with books that contain emails or messages, but the parts of this book that do are written properly, so it's like reading script and didn't put me off at all.
The main character Liz was not to my liking. I believe the author meant it to be this way, as all the other characters were very likeable. It could have been a clash of personality between myself and Liz, and other readers may not feel the same. I thought she craved sympathy, yet I could not empathise with the woman at all. Although I sound negative about Liz, there was something intriguing about her and the irritation I felt towards her meant I couldn't turn my back on her and she kept me reading. Not once did I drift off or get bored.
I'm not sure of the genre, but this story would make a very plausible biographical work if it wasn't for the candles. I wondered at the beginning if it was biographical - it is so real.
The storyline is brilliant and the splashes of poetry are a clever touch.
Very enjoyable and flawless.
on 26 July 2014
September Ends is one of the most original book I've ever read.
I found the writing style - a melting pot of emails, poetry and diary logs - absolutely brilliant. I've never read anything like that before and it made the story development even more intriguing for me. As an author myself I have to pay credits to Mrs Jones.

The plot itself is great as well. I sympathised with the poor Liz, who got depressed after a family trauma she suffered. Love always sorts everything, and Liz will find the way to cured her wounds somehow.
The places where the story is set are lovely and well pictured. I live in London and I found the descriptions very accurate.

If there were more stars than 5, I would probably rate September Ends with 6 stars.
One person found this helpful
on 29 October 2013
This is a wonderful collaboration of two very talented authors who compliment one another other very well. This book will appeal to many romance readers who appreciate a good love and life story, which is on a different level to many other romance novels out there and unique, at least from the books I've read, in terms of its presentation of the prose. The formatting is excellent, given the email-style writing which displayed perfectly on my Kindle. Some of the passages are very erotic, but some of the prose so beautifully written I found myself often rereading it. There should certainly be more writing from this pair and I eagerly look forward to it!
on 31 March 2015
September Ends by Hunter S Jones is the most unusual and tender romance I have ever read. I cannot praise the author enough for her daring approach, so visual and heartfelt.
This romance is told through diary entries, echats, emails, and lashings of stunning poetry from woman to man, both separated by the internet and yet connected to each other like lovers. And the way the author bounced back and forth from one POV to the other kept the story pace rattling along and filled with great feeling of the heart and that is what this romance is all about, feelings of the heart. Poignant and potent too.
Very highly recommended!
on 14 March 2014
A clever mix of two stories which dovetail together well. The Rock `n' Roll Poet - or rather the poet with the rock `n' roll lifestyle - Jack O. Savage, who seems to me to be the hybrid child of Charles Bukowski and Ian Anderson, the flute playing lead singer from Jethro Tull, who temporarily gave up the rock `n' roll lifestyle to become a salmon farmer, and the chat room romance which begins innocently enough and cultivates into full blown erotica.

I'm no spoiler, so you'll have to buy the book to find out what happens next.
One person found this helpful
on 20 January 2015
September Ends is such a lovely title. Poetic. Liz’s life takes a dramatic turn after she and her brother are involved in a car accident that kills her brother. Struggling through therapy and trying to deal with her loss by writing in a diary, we follow Liz on her journey to fill the hole left by his death. Liz meets a man through a shared business interest. They share poetry in a private chat room, then emails, and phone calls until they finally meet.