Format: Audio CD|Change

Thank God for Separation of Power. Having read Vince Flynn's previous Mitch Rapp thriller 'The Third Option' I was left with mixed emotion towards this obviously talented writer.
On the one hand I appreciated his spare, concise style. Compared to writers like Tom Clancy and Dale Brown, Flynn avoids getting sucked into long descriptive passages detailing the latest in military technology that can slow down the story or detract from the action. As a result his thrillers are truly thrilling, moving along at a rapid pace that barely lets up from the word go.
Unfortunately, with The Third Option he managed to annoy the hell out of this reader by giving me half a book. Or at least that is how it felt. All the requisite parts were present. There was action, intrigue and machiavellian plotting aplenty. What it lacked however, was an ending... To my mind the whole thing just felt unfinished.
With Separation of Power Flynn is presenting less a sequel to his last novel, than the second half of the same book. Mitch Rapp, Eilleen Kennedy, Senator Clarke and Donatella all return from The Third Option, picking up pretty much where the last book left off and dealing with very much the same plot strands. Rapp is still investigating the death of Peter Cameron, the former CIA officer and Clarke is still there behind the scenes, pulling strings. In other words, rather than setting up an entirely new story, with new supporting characters and new motivations for the central ones, Separation of Power is really about tying up all the loose threads left dangling at the end of The Third Option. As a result the plot regarding Iraqi nuclear warheads, which would seem to be the core of book at first glance, is relegated to a sideshow that is wrapped up in short order and with little or no trouble to allow events back in Washington to resume centre stage. It makes for a somewhat disjointed narrative structure throughout the book.
Of course for all that, I still enjoyed it, hence the four stars. Having come across Mitch Rapp in Transfer of Power, I find him a satisfying hero. Brave and skilled as he is, the conflicts between the work he does and the life he wants to make with Anna Reilly lend a solid human dimension to his character that makes him an interesting and emotionally engaging lead. Backed up by solid, well written action, interesting supporting characters and a good understanding by Flynn of the political complexities of Washington, Separation of Power, when combined with The Third Option is a good thriller that keeps the reader engaged.
All I hope is that next time we have the opportunity to spend time with Mitch Rapp et al, we are allowed to see the entire adventure through is one sitting.
on 23 March 2006
I had never read any books by Vince Flynn, but within a few pages I was hooked! The story is fast moving, with twists galore. The hero, Mitch Rapp, top counterterrorism operative, is tough but human - you really get to know the guy.
I would definitely recommend this book if you like action within a thoughtful plot and strong realistic characters. Fantastic. I've just read my 2nd book by Vince Flynn and ordered 4 more from Amazon. This is a great author!
on 31 August 2014
I’ve read a few of Vince Flynn’s books now and enjoyed them all. Having read the Third Option (the preceding book to Separation of Power) last year, I was looking forward to this one as there were a lot of loose ends at the end of TTO. Who was behind the attempted assassination of Mitch Rapp in Germany and why was the only lead killed by Rapp’s former lover Donatella Rahn, for one?

Thomas Stansfield, the CIA Director is now dead and Dr Irene Kennedy is the new head of the CIA, the President Hayes (US President) has hidden enemies in Washington who are determined on bringing about his demise. Meanwhile the Israeli’s have discovered that Saddam Hussein is close to entering the Nuclear Arms race and they have given the US two weeks to deal with the problem, or they will take action themselves, which could see the start of World War 3. Mitch Rapp longs to retire from his role as America’s secret weapon against terrorism and live a normal life with Anna Reilly, but his reputation and unique skills see him dragged into destroying the nuclear weapons and also to find out who is behind the plotting against President Hayes.

Vince Flynn has created a character and a series which is a true rival to Lee Child’s Jack Reacher. These are well written thrillers, packed with political intrigue and meticulously researched. Flynn clearly has an excellent grip of the field of intelligence and I would guess he has some well placed sources that provide him with his research material. The plot is fast paced and Separation of Power, like the previous Flynn books I have read, is extremely difficult to put down. If I were to level one criticism of Flynn, is that Rapp’s character’s credibility is stretched to the limit on a few occasions. I won’t spoil the plot, but the resolution of the Iraqi nuclear crisis had me cringing at times. The fact that Rapp casually won the Hawaii Ironman in his spare time, whilst defeating America’s enemies also had me smiling. That said, this is a common criticism of the genre and writers from Jack Higgins to Tom Clancy have also been guilty. I would urge readers to put any scepticism aside and enjoy Vince Flynn’s books for what they are, well written thrillers.

I was saddened to read about Vince Flynn’s passing away and his books will be missed, particularly as I know a little about how hard it was for him to initially break through. RIP Vince Flynn.
on 22 August 2012
I bought this book on the strength of the reviews, particularly when they compared Flynn to some of my favourite authors like Michael Connelly and Lee Childs. He bears no comparison with the former in any respect whatsoever, and although you can see the parallels between Childs' Jack Reacher and Flynn's Mitch Rapp, the quality of the writing and plotting is inferior and the hero less likeable. It's probably a personal thing, and I ain't no Guardian-reading pinko, but I'd be surprised if Mr Flynn didn't vote Republican and wasn't a paid-up member of the NRA. I just have trouble empathising when our hero early on boasts of at least twenty cold-blooded murders, and up to over a hundred if you count assists --- but they're all bad guys, and the good guys never make any mistakes, so that's all right. I found the tortuous romantic stuff tedious, and I knew Mitch and I could never be buddies when the other big love of his life, the fiesty, voluptuous Donatella, turns out to have breast implants and other 'minor' surgery to her body. Oh dear, what's that all about? I've given it two stars rather than one because there are some merits in the storyline and plotting, but for me it's a pretty mediocre thriller and I'd advise potential readers to be wary of the inflated claims made by some of the other reviewers.
I enjoyed this and the author gets better and better.
Although this can be read on its own, it is best to read Transfer of Power first. Both Mitch Rapp and Irene Kennedy return for this one which is a mix of backstabbing politics and violent action. While Kennedy is watching her back in Washington, it appears that Iraq has obtained some nukes and Rapp becomes involved in an ambitious plan to capture them.
Well written and with good solid characters, the only thing that stopped me giving this 5 stars is that I found it a little short and the author could have expanded it a bit.
Flynn's novels are in the Clancy vein but in truth are far better then Clancy's last couple of offerings. More please.
on 10 December 2001
The fourth of vince flynn's novels is just as packed with highly thrilling twists and turns as his previous three. "Seperation of power" again see's the CIA's Mitch Rapp crashing into some of the worlds biggest hot spots (including Iraq)in the search for a secret weapon, and, more immportantly to discover who has tried to kill him and in the process destroy the CIA.
While the book follows on from the third option Flynn has included enough background information for a new reader be upto date, without fans of the series becoming bored.
As always the action and particularly the perspective have been given Flynn's individual touches to make this book yet another superb read. In commparison to clancy, Flynn is fresh and has kept faithfull to his first novel while constantly feeding you a huge highly detailed plot.
on 21 April 2012
This was a brilliant book from Vince Flynn in the Mitch Rapp series. But going back in time, again, was a bit irritating. Knowing how things progress and what the character does in the future, spoils the storyline somewhat as it is obvious what is going to happen, in some respects. This will make me think twice about future publications although I am addicted to this particular series. Please move on and tell us what happens next. I was very lucky to be given American Assassin to read first, but still got caught out with some books out of sequence despite trying to read them in order. It may look clever, but I would prefer to read books in order, maybe with occasional flashbacks within the stories.
on 22 July 2012
It's been a while since I've read a Vince Flynn, Mitch Rapp novel and it's the first on my Kindle.

My only question to my self would be, why have I waited so long to read another on Vince Flynn's books?

It's a great read - Rapp is trying to get out of the assasination business, but someone is after him, and in typical Rapp fashion, he has to sort it out himself.

Of course, there are a number of sub plots involving Mossad and his own Government and they all have to ge cleared before Rapp can set himself free, but can he.

I would highly recommend this book.
on 21 March 2013
Kindle deliveries always so prompt. Another great read from Vince Flynn. His use of political intrigue helps to develop lively stories in which the characters become important. We all like positive endings, and Flynn provides that with some interesting twists and turns on the way.
on 26 November 2012
This is one of the best series of book I have ever read. From start to finish its action, action, action. CIA hit man, assassin Mith Rapp knows how it goes down and he's the man to take the targets out.

If you want action from the beginning then read this series, from the first book Terminal Limits.