Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 5 December 2013
I've emigrated twice now, and I still found this an incredibly informative book. What the author does is look at the basic journey arc that occurs with all emigrations, to any country, and goes through it in step-by-step detail, from first impulses to a post-emigration evaluation twelve months after arrival. This gives the reader an overall format to hold their own emigration plans against, and flag up some issues that they may not have considered. It also looks rather in-depth at the various emotional issues that are connected with emigration, including stress, tears, and homesickness. Homesickness is the most common reason why emigrations fail, so it's worth considering!

It's pitched at women, but nearly all of this arc applies to men as well. It mostly favours younger women without families, but references are made to mothers and older women at times. It regularly mentions partners (boyfriend, husband etc.)and the complications that can arise with them, such as they're the one who wants to emigrate when you don't, or you get on each other's nerves once you're there, or other issues.

There's a few pages of author's memoir at the beginning, middle and end of the book, but primarily it's written to the reader about the reader's own emigration, in the second person. Lots of charming little illustrations of a dark-haired girl trying to look elegant in all undignified circumstances are on almost every page.

And yes, it's written with immense wit; and highlights all the undignified circumstances that an emigrating girl is likely to encounter. Great fun to read!
on 2 April 2011
This book is fantastic! It's well-written, intelligent, funny and most importantly it contains loads of useful information and top tips. The format is quirky with tick boxes, lists, quizzes and great little illustrations.

Although the author has emigrated from the UK to Australia the book tries hard not to be country-specific so will be relevant to anyone thinking of leaving the UK, no matter where you're going.

Whether you're leaving in a few weeks or just starting to entertain the idea of emigrating this book will give you loads of support and good ideas. It makes a nice change from all the other emigration books which, although useful, can be quite dry and dull at times.

Whilst reading it I found myself alternately laughing out loud and pulling out my notebook to add things the author had suggested to my 'to do' list. She brought a lot of things I hadn't even considered to my attention too which was great.

I really can't recommend this book enough - definitely money well spent.
on 27 January 2014
We are planning to emigrate to Australia, and I am keen to find a go-to reference that will give me a good overview, and which I can dip in and out of. This book wasn't it. It's amusing, but a bit too general for me. I think I wanted something more factual and helpful, and I found this an interesting read, but it didn't tell me anything I hadn't read elsewhere, and the format doesn't lend itself to be a really useful reference.
on 2 November 2012
I recently purchased this book as I have been planning my recce to the Middle East, where I plan to move to next year. After reading the reviews, where some readers said that they read the book and completed it in one day, I thought I would purchase it to see if it was good as what people had said. And they were right! Yes, its got a lot of humour and No,its not written like other emigrating info books which can be a bit dry and obvious; it speaks directly to women, but also for women of varying ages and those in relationships. It highlighted points that I had not thought about and it is also not country specific, even though the writer emigrated down under.
This is a must buy if you are thinking about, planning, have already planned and are ready to get on the plane and if you have just arrived at your new country.
great book!!
on 3 March 2012
This book has only arrived at my door today and i am already loving it, so much so that i wanted to post something right now. I have been planning to move to Oz for a while now, and we have recently put a date to our plans. I was starting to feel stressed and not really knowing why, it should be a happy time once the planning starts surely. Well yes it is but after reading the 1st few chapters I already understand why I have been feeling a little stressed about moving and its great to hear that its normal. This book gives some great insight into why us girls can get emotional about the move, even though its not going to be next week. If you are thinking of leaving your mother land or have made the decision and need help and support with this, this book is amazing, especially when people around you cant quite understand how you are feeling.
I would like to say a massive thank you to Sally for putting pen to paper and taking some of the stress away in the first few pages alone. Would i recommend this book, yes i recommend you don't leave the country without getting this book. I have never felt more understood when it comes the emotions running through my mind in planning a big move. I cant wait to get further into the book and can now see what i need to do to get my head around it.
Other than the emotional side of things this book also has some great hints and tips of what we need to plan for, and how to get the most of the much needed planning. i am a girl that loves a list and Sally seems to have that all sorted too.
A book that will hopefully help us be practical and allow us to be a little girly too.
on 14 April 2012
I got this for my friend who emigrated to Australia in Feb 2012. She was very pleased with it and wondered how she hadn't come across it herself! Perfect reading material for that long flight and hopefully a useful read too! Arrived quickly which was handy as it was a last minute thought to buy it.
on 9 May 2010
This is an inspiring book for anyone thinking about emigrating. This book takes you through the emotional journey as well as the practicalities of emigrating, in a witty and accessible way. From the beginning of the book Sally Corner asks the reader to question why they want to emigrate in the first place to find out if it really is for them. She then guides the reader through the highs, lows, pitfalls and joys of emigrating, accompanied by wonderful illustrations. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in emigrating or making big changes in their lives.
on 14 July 2012
Had funny start then the reality of things came in the main body of the book. Had some Interesting pointers which I had not considered and helped me and my family make a final decision to go. I have never wanted to move abroad so totally new emotions and no ideas so this book really helped. I am now getting a similar book to help my children get their heads around moving abroad.
on 4 September 2013
Would recommend this to any sensible girl considering emigrating - many points to think about. Doesn't go into too much detail ( which would only bog you down) but recommends where do to your further reading/research. Written in a witty easy to read style - enjoyed it thoroughly
on 23 May 2013
This book is brilliant. Informative but written in a way that you don't feel snowed under. The author has a fantastic sense of humour and I felt that I could empathize with everything she talked about.

I would certainly recommend the book to anyone wanting to move to another country, thinking about moving.. or indeed anyone who just likes a good read.