on 21 December 2015
Everything - and i mean everything - about this book is a majestic masterpiece. The writing is beautiful (it's Jane Austen; it's a given), the characters are amazing. If you've read Jane Austen books before then you HAVE to buy this book. If you buy now you might even get it before Christmas (it's better to order yourself than drop hints for family members because they just have no clue, just wrap it up and write a tag for yourself - no one will be any the wiser trust me.)

Don't get me started on the sheer BEAUTY of this novel. It's the Audrey Hepburn of book covers (one of the greatest actresses and people to ever exist by the way.) The design is amazing, the writing is amazing. There is absolutely NOTHING to stop you buying this book. NOTHING.

In other words, order it and order it now my friends.
on 15 August 2015
I have read many Jane Austen novels and enjoyed them all. Very well written. Gives you some of the history of the way the comparatively well-off people lived in those times. Particularly the way women were treated as unequal to men. Their life consisted of marrying well for wealth, not always love. Their education was in some ways limited. They did not have the same career chances as women have today. Found it easy to read and quite light hearted. Would recommend her books, they are classics.
on 10 July 2015
This has always been my favourite Jane Austen novel. The characterisation and rapier like wit, the social critique and the descriptions are even better, I think, than in 'Pride and Prejudice'. Elinor and Marianne make a wonderful sisterly team. Spoiler Follows: my only complaint is that I would have liked Marianne, in the end, to have married a repentant Willoughby, or at least not staid Colonel Brandon, who is twice her age.
on 17 November 2012
Juliet Stevenson is the perfect narrator for Jane Austen's 'Sense and Sensibility', and her presentation of, especially, Elinor, makes the reader aware of little turns in Elinor's character he or she may not have noticed before. She is also brilliant at Mrs Jennings, Mrs Dashwood, and John and Fanny.

What I would prefer, though, would be less 18th century music and more of the text. Some of the cuts, in particular of the Chapter 2 discussion about money between John Dashwood and his selfish wife, would alter the meaning of events in the novel for someone who did not know it well.

So although this is a wonderful experience I would recommend it only to those who know the novel well.
on 13 April 2015
Luckily, I'm a lover of long sentences and punctuation. Another classic from the great Miss Austen and possibly my favourite heroine in the lovely Elinor. I quite enjoyed having the facts and quotes dotted throughout the book - it has certainly inspired me to watch the movie. If you're a fan of Austen, you'll be a big fan of this!
on 8 June 2013
I have read all of Jane Austen's novels several times and I just get more and more impressed by her awe-inspiring literary genius. Her subtle wit and pithy observations about the society she lived in are presented to the reader with an extraordinary command of the English language. It all makes for an utterly compelling read every time. Austen's characters literally leap of the page as they progress through the twists and turns of each beguiling plot and I struggle to put the books down! For me, she is one of the greatest English novelists, if not, the greatest!
When her titles are listed under the "historical romance" section in book lists, it betrays the shameful ignorance of those who compile the lists.
on 4 September 2013
In my opinion this is the only Austen novel that is complete. I say this because all the main characters have a full ending you know what happens to them as Austen intended rather than say in persuasion where you are left wanting to know how this progressed in the relationship of Captain Wentworth and Anne in their marriage. This book is perfect and always the emotion of Marianne's abandonment and Elinor's quiet suffering makes me feel so much. EVERYONE should read this.
on 30 June 2017
A classic. Great seller, delivered quickly & accurate description, great price.
on 23 August 2017
A different age. At first you wonder at barriers the characters face. At the end you wonder why it took them so long to resolve. Still love the different characters jane Austen shares with us.
on 25 August 2014
I am a recent convert to Jane Austen.It took a little while to become accustomed to her style of narrative. It must be a real challenge when called upon to learn by heart for a stage performance!
However,I enjoyed the intriguing storyline of the importance of personal fortune and breeding in the marriageability stakes. Jane has a wonderful wit which made me laugh out loud at times..
I have read many historical novels and this would not normally be described as one but much social history can be learned from it.