on 10 April 2017
I'm hard of hearing with in ear hearing aids. Now having difficulty hearing speech on TV or sound bar speakers. These headphones are my last chance to hear a film or even the news clearly without causing grief to my wife. They arrived nice and quickly despite freepost option. Everything was in order. I found it easy to pop the batteries in, a tag tells you which cup to open. I sat the transmitter just behind the TV plugged it in and connected the earphone jack to my old Samsung flatscreen TV. This cut the speakers off I did not wait to charge the batteries switched the phones on and got a screeching static noise in my ears. After fiddling with the tuning button I got the TV sound but there was a loud hum in the background. This is because the volume on the TV was low. Having no sound from TV speakers allowed me to increase the volume on the TV to about 80% and lower the headphone volume to almost nothing and I got pure clean sound. My wife can hear the TV via the soundbar at her own level while I can play with the phones to my pleasure.
Listening to them now The speech is crisp I have the headphone volume at about half way and do not envisage needing to increase it. I tried raising the volume and it gets too loud before any hiss comes in. So speech is fine. I tuned my Humax Freesat into a music channel. OMG! There are sounds there I have not heard for a long time and in wonderful stereo. All the different sounds stand out on their own. No more straining to hear that little guitar riff or the background singers. Even adverts are a pleasure. They do not come booming out at a raised volume and there are so many sounds I did not know were there. I found the treble sounds a little close to breaking point in some older songs. The bass stands out on it's own not too deep and the drums are just the right level.
There is a slight problem, he volume control is just above the tune control. A design fault in my opinion. However I soon got used to using my thumb and sliding it down from above the control to avoid the tune dial.
As I mentioned I wear in ear aids, the foam cushions of the headphones get a little warm after an hour but not uncomfortable. If there are any ad's on I slip them off my head and they are cool again in a minute. I would not want to wear these for any longer than a 3 hour epic film So long as they do not loosen with age the fit is fine. They are so light I forget they are there until I turn my head.
The open fit allows me to hear most sounds in the room and carry out a conversation as normal, My wife says she can hear a slight amount of sound from the headset but she has super hearing...
I cannot emphasise the convenience of having the loop charging dock. Simply place on the holder and forget them. A previous pair (Philips) I tried were a nightmare with a silly antenna and a tiny charging plug and cable and even worse a 2 pin power plug. They went straight back.
To sum up.
For the price range these are amazing headphones, if you want to buy with confidence these are the ones for you.
Pros - Charging dock simplicity, Crisp sound, comfort to wear nice design. Easy to replace batteries so you could keep a second pair and replaceable foam cups.
Cons - I little warm for hearing aid wearers, open cups would have been great. Volume and tune control too close (put tuner on other earpiece).
Tip - Don't forget to switch them off using the on/off switch on the left cup or your batteries are working overtime.

Additional - I tried the headset without my aids in, after raising the volume I can hear all speech but some of the treble sounds are lost owing to my particular hearing loss. However they are even more comfortable, so when it comes to a long film this is an option. I point this out I do not want my individual problem to detract from how good these headphones are, hence the 5 stars.
on 23 October 2014
I bought this from a local store instead of Amazon because it was slightly cheaper, and I didn't have to wait. But I used amazon for reviews so I thought I would contribute back.

Firstly, I should point out I own multiple wireless headsets, bluetooth, infrared, and radio based as this ones. Some cheap some expensive. All of them however relied on some sort of digital circuitry. Even the RF ones had a digital tuner inside that automatically tuned the headset to the channel selected on the base ( ie, lidl's headset, some Thomson models etc). This model doesn't. This model seems to be 100% analogue. There's a cheap 3 way switch on the station that changes the transmitting channel. And a wheel tuner on the headset ( same as in your very old FM radio that did manual tuning without using a digital screen to write the FM channel). All three channels you choose on the base are within the range of course of the headset.

Pros:
1. Because of the apparent analogue nature of the hardware there's no noticeable lag, and I believe this is one reason sennheiser went with an analogue design. In this respect they kick Bluetooth and any other form of digital transmission in the butt. It's simply perfect, no lag. ( lag is the delay between the time sound leaves your device and reaches your ear).
2. Very little background noise. Compared to all headsets I ever used the only kind that are better than this are bluetooth, that have no background noise. But suffer the most from lag thus useless for watching movies or video. They are a huge improvement over other RF (non bluetooth) headsets such as the lidl brand, and thomson. I was impressed by how little the background noise was...
3. Charging dock. I don't get the review comments, probably people who didn't own other rechargeable headsets before. This is by far the best charging base I have EVER used. I practically throw on the speakers and they land and start charging. Excellent!. All other brands I ever used either required I plug a usb port in, or were frigidly.
4. Utilizes regular NiMh rechargeable batteries. This means that when rechargeable batteries get old they can get cheaply replaced and if I forget to place them on the charger and they run out of juice, I can just replace spend batteries with charged ones and keep going. I have to say that the 20 pound lidl headset I owned beat this by including a build in rechargeable as well as AAA batteries and either one would work.
Edit: 5. I should had mentioned that this headset has huge range, 2x more than thomson, or lidl brands based on rf technologies, and at least 5-6 times more than bluetooth.

Cons:
1. The cups. These are on ear not over the ear. Why? Where's the logic in that sennheiser, Get me a couple of over the ear pads please and I'll pay extra for them. They get uncomfortable when used for over 1-2 hours ( I watch primarily movies ).
2. Hassle to tune. I wish they had figured out a better way of tuning the headset. Here's a suggestion if you buy this. Play something on just the right speaker ( change the balance on your computer or tv) then tune the speaker so you hear it the loudest with minimum background noise but only from the right speaker. Then change balance to send both sides. If it works you have tunned correctly and are getting stereo sound. I found that the settings with the least background noise were not in stereo and resulted in lower volume but clearer sound, but if you want stereo follow these directions and you'll get it.
3. Volume and tune dials are too close as others have mentioned, you get used to looking for the top one, but I still think that sennheiser needs to work more on this, eliminate the need to tune somehow.
4. Not as good a construction I would expect for the price. If you sit on this you will break them, even if you are a small person or child. Make sure you don't leave them sitting on the couch.
5. I've owned them for several weeks now, I used the batteries that came with them. I haven't noticed any indication that the batteries are full. Charging led is always on and red when headset on the base. Have the batteries never charged because I use them every night? Or is there no indication of complete charge? Didn't find any information on this in any document included in the box.
6. The biggest surprise to me was how poor the bass and treble was. Multiple reviews mention excellent sound but I find that the sound is excellent for watching movies, ( voice, everyday sounds). but bass and treble especially when listening to rock, metal etc music is very poor. For music thus I switch to my Samsung Bluetooth headset
7. If no audio comes out of your device. After a few minutes the transmitter automatically switches off, and your hear very loud hissing sound. I forgot about this and had the speakers on while movie was paused and it was too loud, I can see people getting injured by getting surprised from the sudden loud noise... Come on Sennheiser, remove the automatic off. Only switch it off when I place the headset on the base. How much energy do you think you are saving? And at the cost of your customer's discomfort, potential ear damage, and potential cause for accident from getting startled from the loud noise.

In conclusion, great headset, by far my favorite ever for watching movies ( ie no lag, minimal background noise) but if you are getting this for listening only to audio and don't care about the synchronization with video then get a Bluetooth headset like the HS3000 that provides EXCELLENT sound and still allows you to use whatever wired headphone you prefer.
22 Comments| 117 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 April 2017
The headphone works OK, but the design is flawed, and very annoying in its flaws. The biggest flaw is with the automatic switch off - if you have quiet period in the sound, then it switches off, which gives you quite a bit of a shock as all you get is very loud white noise. This is quite a bit of a problem when you watch a film (or listen to music) with long periods of quietness, and it entirely ruins the experience. Be aware of this problem.
on 3 August 2017
Brilliant! Dual action with headphones and normal speaker sound working at the same time. It might be related to the model of the TV as I read a criticism that stated once that some headphones when plugged in cut off the sound from the TV set. So, hard of hearing and normal hearing persons can share the same programme together with these RS120 for me! Any problems with your TV set and Amazon will in their usual efficient manner allow you to change them or get a refund. These replaced my old set of RS130 when the plastic broke at the headband adjustment point on one side, no doubt due to heavy handed use, but I taped them up and they continued to work efficiently. The head band widened a bit but only after many years of use on my reputedly big head! I treated myself to a new pair for my coming 77th birthday! Good clear response and easily adjusted sound level and adjustment switch to find the correct frequency receiving point.
on 8 May 2017
After many years of enjoyment with my RS120 the headset finally gave up sound on the left side. Looked at various options but decided if the originals had lasted with no problems it would seem obvious to just replace them, so ordered the same again.
Two problems. Firstly I was unable to get the power lead to fit properly, so used the one from the old unit, worked fine.
Second after several days trying every tuning combination I was unable to tune out the background hiss. Even tried connecting the old base unit but the problem persisted so must assume it's the headphones.
This is such a shame as I had recommended these to two friends in the past who like me have hearing problems, they think they are wonderful.
Returned item, now seeking alternative.
on 19 May 2017
Very good sound for the price but don't expect the same sound as headphones costing lots more. I have had mine for many years, could be up to ten years!, they still work very well. I have a strange thing happen to the sound cord from the base unit to the TV/ Amplifier - the plastic insulation covering the lead started to peel off the earth wire and was completely exposed along it's length, must be an age thing with plastic, spoiling an otherwise good working set. With headphones having a cord, I have now ordered a new identical set. I was surprised that these are still available. The range is phenominal and the freedom in listening to music as you walk around doing household chores is wonderful. I will never go back to headphones having a cord again.
on 5 June 2017
These headphones work very well and I am satisfied with the performance! Only small criticism is that the ear pads are a bit hard and can get quite uncomfortable after wearing for a couple of hours! Think they could have added a bit softer padding!
on 31 May 2015
Can be quite tricky to tune to the TV signal, and are sensitive to the user moving their position while wearing them. Also are effected by mobile phone incoming signals causing interferance, so keep your mobile phone well away from where you are sitting when using the headphones. However if you get them set up correctly they give good reception. The tuning and volume controls are small and fiddly, and would benefit from larger dials.
on 2 June 2017
Bought these as I'm losing some frequency definition and turning up the sound bar didn't help. These make such a difference and highlight sounds I didn't know were there! Only issue is that after a couple of hours when worn over glasses they make my ears a little sore.
on 27 May 2017
Excellent...I am hard of hearing and with this I don't need to have the volume up loud at night, I can hear every single word and the neighbours must be happy.