on 10 January 2011
For some time I've noticed that I'm increasingly finding it difficult to hear the dialogue over the background music in films and after much deliberation decided to buy a pair of Sennheiser 170's after having read a number of reviews on here.

Wireless headphones appealed to me as I always found the cord on my old pair irritating. I wanted them primarily to improve hearing the sound from the TV but also for listening to music too. I would have gone for the RS180's which are open backed and are supposed to sound superior but decided that the closed back 170's were the better option so that my wife can listen normally using the TV's speakers at the same time. If the TV's speakers are playing as well I don't hear an echo unless the TV's sound is turned up.

I've only been using them for 3 days and so far I'm very pleased with my purchase. The sound is very good, they may not be for audiophiles but I'm prepared to accept that they are not the last word in HiFi for the convenience of them being wireless and for the price that I paid. I've not had any problems with interfernce with my wireless internet connection and I can now watch films at a normal volume without relying on the subtitles. I found the range to be more than adequate and have been able to go anywhere in my house except near the window of the room furthest away. The actual stand is locate behind my LCD TV and I'm able to pick up a signal in my kitchen despite there being a wall and a large American Fridge Freeze in between and I can also go outside for about 20' before they start to cut out.

It was a little disconcerting, especially when I first used them when watching tv because the sound appears to be coming from inside one's head rather than the direction of the TV, maybe open ones would be better in that resepct, but I'm getting used to that.

I'm finding the button controls okay but once they're set up I rarely need to touch them anyway.

It would be useful to me if they had the option of using them corded to as I could then use them with another TV in a different room or with my laptop. If they had this feature and they were of an audiophile quality then I would have given them 5 stars.

Overall I can recommend them and I'm hearing a lot more things than I used to when I relied on the TV's speakers.

Update : 11-4-2011 : I've since found that I can now go to the end of my garden, a distance of about 70', providing I turn my head so that the headband is aligned with the direction of the transmitter. Not particularly convenient I know but it does help to extend the range.

Further update 30-5-2011: After 6 months use the sound quality seems to have improved a lot and they sound brilliant and are definetely one of my better buys. I'm at this moment listening to Planet Rock and can definetely recommend them.
on 3 January 2011
These headphones are fantastic. The digital surround sound is far superior to the cinema sound from the speakers connected to my tv. and audio equipment. Clear and crisp sound.

People have said in reviews that sometimes the sound dissappears, however if you point the charger to where you are you do not lose the signal. I can sit in the garden about 40 to 50 metres away from the charger with no loss of sound.

The only problem is once you have them on you will not hear the door, mobile phone, kids screaming or the wife nagging.

Worth every penny!
on 14 March 2010
As a long term Sennheiser fan I tried these 'phones for myself, after some lengthy research, and can confirm that they are excellent. As soon as I started listening to a film using the surround setting I was hooked, and yes I "listened" to the film. I have a fair home cinema system but these 'phones beat the speakers. The experience is totally immersive and the set up ridiculously easy; take them out of the box plug in to power source, charge batteries, plug in to sound source, switch on and listen. The 'phones are easy to adjust for sound and fit and are light and comfortable to wear. They are not the cheapest wireless 'phones on the market but the quality is superb and the added benefit of increaed domestic harmony as I listen to loud films while everyone else sleeps makes them all the more worth while.
77 Comments| 126 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 February 2013
Imaging that you have to watch your movie like those old day French Charlot movies (speechless). My wife always complaint that I've the TV too loud. That's why I need a headphone so I can enjoy my movie without chasing after the subtitle.

For the price of $280, I have to admit that it was a hard decision to make. However, I've finally made up my mind to purchase it, and I am glad I did. Since it is wireless, my biggest concern is the sound quality and the static, which is the most complaint on other products.

- The sound quality is digital and excellent compared to my AKG K240 Studio Professional wired headphone. Thanks to the crystal-clear CD sound quality of the Kleer Audio Technology.
- I've noticed that some of the side conversations or background sounds are now clearly stand out and noticeable to me. For i.e., the conversation between the coach and the ice-skating athlete before getting into the ring while the introduction is announced loudly.
- The ear pads are extremely thick and soft. It's much more comfortable for long hour wear than my AKG K240. I will not wear it for in-home workout dues to the sweat level.
- I have no problem to walk around my over 3,000 sq/ft house without losing the content conversation of my movie. However, it lost connection when I stepped out of my front yard because there are two walls in between and the closed front door behind (There are only about 50 feet away from the transmitter). The distance range specifies on the product specifications is referring to "line-of-sight". You go figure!
- What I like about this Kleer Audio Technology is that the sound just got cut off from the headphone without any white noises. And it will pick up the audio again when I am back into its range or line-of-sight.
- Now, with my wireless headphone on, I can tuning up my volume a bit louder, and my wife still can join me with her low tuned volume TV speaker. I've learned from other reviews that some TV brands may disable the speakers while the headphone is plugged in. Both my Samsung and Sony TV allow me to share movie with my wife on the speakers.
- It's a very smart design to have the volume of the headphone tuned back down each time it got powered on again. The purpose is to prevent us in accidentally exposing to the loud noise if by any chance the headphone was tuned to max. It does not bother me since I have to adjust my volume on each movie anyway.
- I have not experience the echo on the sound delay. Maybe the TV speakers are being tuned too loud, I guess?

I initially was thinking about getting the RS160 model or waiting for promotion. After about two weeks of on-and-off researching, I accidentally tumbled onto the Amazon UK site, which has this RS170 model on sales for £149. Amazon Global Priority shipping is inclusive in the price. I'm amazed that it took them only 3 days to deliver my order. Good job Amazon!

If you're care about quality, you won't be regret with this Sennheiser RS model wireless headphone.
on 27 May 2014
I must say these Sennheiser Wireless Headphones are very pleasing to ears,there not too heavy on the ears,you can have them on for over an hour without your ears feeling soar.The sound is very good,and the sound control can be adjusted on the side of the headphone,and it also has bass & surround-sound on them,which sounds brilliant ! I can recommend these Headphones to anyone. SOUNDS GOOD TO ME !
on 22 May 2011
These are the best wifi headphones.
Period.

Are they better then your wired monitors cans? No.
Are they better then every other wifi or bluetooth headset avaialble right now? YES!

I listen to wireless phones alot. From the closed and thermal old sennhiesers, to the sonys wifi debackle, to the astounding AKG heroes 787's.
And these are the best so far.

The Kleer technology is awesome, it produces warmth and range that you would expect on a mid tier wired headphone set costing about £70 from sennheiser or AKG.

The rest of what you pay is for the wifi clarity. Its ranges is about 20 meters through 3 walls, but when you get even a little interference expect your sound to cut straight out ( a side effect of the Kleer tech and i acheieved at the bottom of my garden about 25 meters.)

I can wash my car on the drive whilst wearing these, and the base station is connected to my PC in the loft. I hear my music with excellent clarity.

The only choice you need to make is closed back [RS170] or open backed [RS180] versions.
Closed back ( the ones i prefer) leaks much much less noise out, so i can listen to iplayer on my pc whilst my wife sleeps. Where-as open backed leak more sound but have even better sound fidelity.

Sure it is pricey.
But these are the clearest, most comfortable and simply the best wifi headphones around.
Fullstop.
on 8 December 2011
Received the headphones today, easy to set up, charged for a hour, then checked out reception, great in every room, and down to bottom of garden about 50 feet from base, still clear reception, this will do for me, well pleased especially as Amazzon just put the price up £18 after I bought them.
on 19 February 2015
Good quality headphones with reasonable range, alt hough the sound can break up as you move around the house further away from the base station.
on 2 May 2017
nice product
on 20 July 2013
An excellent product!! I found it switches itself off when not in use and still charges the headphone. Good buy.