Seiko ER9000 - Oxford / Britannica Electronic Reference Library (ER-9000)
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
- Enter your model number above to make sure this fits.
- Oxford Dictionary of English - Over 355,000 words, phrases & definitions, 38,500 word origins, 11,000 encyclopedic entries & 550 usage notes. Oxford Thesaurus of English - Over 11 million synonym links, 316 thematic word lists, 300 "Choose the right word" notes & confusables.
- Oxford Dictionary of Quotations - Over 20,000 quotations from approx 3,500 authors. Fowler's Modern English Usage - comprehensive and practical advice on grammar, syntax, style and choice of words. Oxford Dictionary of Modern Slang - A highly engaging guide to the most outspoken corner of our language.
- Spellchecker - 225,000 word phonetic spellchecker. Oxford Dictionary of Abbreviations - 36,000 decodes for over 20,000 abbreviations. Britannica Concise Encyclopedia - More than 25,000 articles.
- "Smart Jump" between correct sense in Dictionary & Thesaurus. 14 Solvers - Crossword, anagram, cryptic, word viewer, word maker, phrase search, definition search, encyclopaedic search, letter changer, slang search, homophones & homographs, dictionary of abbreviations and abbreviation search.
- 15 word games - with 3 levels to help build your vocabulary.Calculator - Plus over 190 metric/ imperial and currency converters.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What do customers buy after viewing this item?
The world's first "Smart Dictionary", the ER-9000 allows you to jump directly to the correct senses between Dictionary and Thesaurus entries. This "intelligent" ability to understand the specific nuances and meanings of words saves endless thumbing through paper dictionaries and it will be a godsend for language students. For example, if you want to "get on like a house on fire" the correct synonym set will be found under "hit it off" in the Thesaurus (not "house"). It also contains many new solvers to help you with word games: crossword, anagram, word viewer, word maker, phrase search, definition search, encyclopedic search, abbreviation search and more. An elegant design with metal case, large clear screen with 3 font sizes, and large, easy to operate keys! So simple to use, all you have to do to start it is press the desired function key! Ideal for lovers of the English language, from academics to word game players.
Top Customer Reviews
It is sturdily made and its size and weight mean that you can conveniently slip it into a pocket. Since buying it, I have found that I mostly use it when I am reading: it is so quick and easy to use that I now look up the meaning of words that I would have previously just glossed over. You can also search the dictionary by subject area but although it looks reasonably comprehensive, I suspect this method might have its limitations.
This Seiko is useful as a crossword solver in that you do not need to know the letters at the beginning of the word in order to find your answer although it does not seem to have as many multiple word solutions as the 'Chambers Crossword Completer'. The Thesaurus is similar to a Roget's Thesaurus but easier to use. For crosswords, however, I do not find it as useful as the 'Chambers Crossword Dictionary' which includes, for example, lists of theatres, first names and types of musical instruments. Despite these drawbacks, I have still found the answers to most things.
I haven't tried all the facilities on this machine but I use it most days. Is it worth the cost? You would need to think about how, and how often, you will be using it. I certainly don't regret buying it.
Oxford Dictionary. The whole thing! However probably as good as there is available.
I don't need the games and puzzles; just give me words.
Because of the amount of information installed in it, it obviously takes a while to absorb, but I was using it well enough for help on a crossword, within 20mins.
A little pricey, but, if you want the best you have to be prepared to pay for it .
However, it certainly helps with the Telegraph crossword and will be a boon when I go on holiday, which is why I bought it.
A bit difficult to read in poor lighting conditions, including these low wattage lamps that we have been forced to use.
Certainly one of the best I have seen, but I hope the time will come when the whole of the printed editions will be included.
Good value for money and a very attractive bit of kit.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was bought for my folks, as they're crossword junkies, and they wanted a little help on the side. Read morePublished 15 months ago by Jim Bowen
I have previously submitted my review on this item and expressed being disappointed.
This purchase was made for someone else
Arrived well packaged and quite quickly.
This is excellent as a dictionary; the games are quite distracting too! Read more