on 16 April 2008
I just thought i'd add a review as most so far seem to be saying that this is great for kids... i'm 27 and doing a Masters at university & this has been such an amazing tool to have. Especially when i'm sat for hours reading complicated books that i don't quite understand! i was sat with a big dictionary and it was taking me hours but then my mum & dad bought me this (bless them!) and it's made the whole process a lot quicker & therefore less painful! it also has hangman on for when i get bored & need a bit of distraction!!
on 30 June 2007
I bought this one for my son when he was studying his GCSEs. He found it to be excellent and very easy to use. He took it to school and was able to access words as and when he needed and very quickly too. His friends also used it for reference during school hours.

As an educational tool this dictionary is very powerful with easy access to on-going learning.

I highly recommed it, especially at the current amazon price (I paid ~£60 originally). I am now purchasing the same one for my second child!
22 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2009
I bought this item to replace an older version which I had broken. This new version (same manufacturer)is hopeless on anagrams, it is unable to give multiple word answers. The Thesaurus is somewhat limited and is very American English based. The only improvement on the older, slightly more bulky solver is the speed, but I think that may be due to a smaller data base to be searched. All in all not very impressed.
22 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 March 2008
As an avid reader I often need a dictionary, and as a traveller I can't really haul round my OED in my suitcase. This device, at about the size of a mobile phone, is absolutely ideal. I've been using it for over a year now and think it's only failed to find one or two words I've searched for.
On top of basic dictionary capabilities, there is a thesaurus and spellchecker, defintion searcher (you type in the key words in a definition and the dictionary finds possible words to match), numerous word games, a knowledge finder (basic dates and short snippets of information about famous personages, political movements and so on) and an 'easy to learn' list, that stores any new words you come across for easy access. You can also set up these words for use in the word games.
All in all, this is not only a purchase I have never regretted, but one that I would gladly have paid twice the price for.
on 4 June 2011
Not really very impressed with this product or Seiko's follow up to queries. Has a major problem in that words on some occasions do not show when using solver, but are there in dictionary or thesaurus. When reported to Seiko, very slow response was to use * instead of question marks when using solver. Unfortunately same problem arose. Seems to be with longer words. Examples sent to Seiko but still awaiting a real response. Poor replacement for old model. Certainly would not recommend to anyone. most disappointing as previous versions were good and worked OK.
on 24 June 2008
The Oxford English Dictionary is the best dictionary with its beautifully written, clear and concise definitions. To be able to access the words so quickly with this small, highly portable and easy to use machine is a joy. It is much easier to use than a book. I would thoroughly recommend it.
on 17 December 2007
I have bought this one for my 10yrs old son and an expensive Sharpe model for my brother. Obviously the expensive one has better function, but for the younger kids, this is more than they need. I must admit I do borrow my son's one from time to time, as suppose to leafing through the paper dictionary (Which is now quite redundant). Very handy, compact and a time saving. Highly recommended for all household.
on 8 October 2011
Purchased to replace an earlier model this solver has far less words and information in its database. Compared to the earlier model which was robustly constructed this solver is flimsy in the extreme especially the lid which is difficult to open and merely clicks in place.

It is difficult to believe that a newer model could compare so badly in all areas. Very very poor Seiko.
on 15 January 2009
Like everyone else I have found this tool brilliant - I just cannot understand why I have struggled without it for so long. It is so clear to read and has so many functions. I'm actually a novice cryptic crossword fanatic and this certainly stops me using the internet, which means it is far more available as a reference companion not only for crosswords but for any source of information. So thrilled I splashed out- I did buy a smaller cheaper electronic,well known make,dictionary. I wish I had paid the extra £'s in the first place my first smaller one has very limited functions and very difficult to read, therefore false economy. Jeanx
on 3 September 2009
Brilliant little machine, a comprehensive dictionary, a pretty good thesaurus and the crossword solver is a dream. It also has a calculator and currency converter.
All in one small package.