on 9 August 2006
The book leaves out all the cultural details coverd by every other book and gets straight down to seed germination details.

The only negative is that it doesn't cover enough plants. It does however cover most genus that are garden varieties today.
on 14 February 2002
I had absolutely no idea when I bought this lovely looking book how invaluable and what fun I would find it. Although it says on the cover it is "the ultimate guide to growing successfully from seed", I thought this might be hype but no, it really is the only book you will ever need to guide you. One especial joy is the fun you can have experimenting with your own seeds from the sort of shrubs and trees only specialists would normally try. Jekka McVicar covers all aspects and I am sure I will save lots of money in the years to come by trying out unusual plants from seed.
on 24 August 2002
If you're an inveterate seed/cutting pincher - whether at home or abroad you'll need this book. When I bought it I instantly sowed some gingko seeds someone had sent me from the States. This book is fun. Gardening is meant to be fun - it's an adventure. This book is an adventure. It's also informative, recommending the perfect compost mix for your particular seed and giving germination times - very important if you give up too easily on a unproductive pot! Some seeds can take up to two years. Now where's that lemon!?
on 31 October 2014
Whilst there is plenty of information in the book, it is limited in its scope. I don't like the layout. It would have been better just by species.Also too many species not included. There is better information online. Google Norman Deno, and look at his hugely detailed if rather dense work,or the Ontario rock alpine society site for a brilliant germination guide..
on 6 July 2014
Excellent book ,clear precise instruction. All of my seeds came up and I made my own compost, it was an exciting project. It has also given me good insight into types of seed germination and there particular requirements.
on 10 June 2015
Beautiful book with the expected information and more.
on 9 November 2015
Very pleased with purchase.