- Save 10% on selected children’s books, compliments of Amazon Family Promotion exclusive for Prime members .
Seeds from a Birch Tree: Writing Haiku and the Spiritual Journey Paperback – 4 Feb 1999
|New from||Used from|
Special offers and product promotions
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Haiku is the one form of poetry that makes n ature a spiritual path. In Seeds from a Birch Tree, Clark St rand redefines haiku as a literary art, and explains how to use the practice of writing and reading haiku as a form of m editation. '
Top customer reviews
It makes perfect sense that the author gave up being a Zen monk to devote himself to this poetry form instead.
Thoughtful, slowly paced as a relaxed breath, this is essential reading for those interested in haiku or who have a love of the poetry form.
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com
I particularly enjoyed the "Zen Tea" chapter, where author Strand and a friend poke gentle fun at popular notions about Zen. And in the chapter "Deh Chun," the author talks about his first Zen teacher, whose teachings, he realizes finally, "left nothing out." Strand's own book is just like that. He tells us that haiku is, first, the 5-7-5 syllable pattern. Then, it has a seasonal reference. Finally, its proper subject is the natural world. And ultimately, it is about the present moment.
This is another book that I have added to my personal library.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism > Poetry & Poets
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > Poetry > Genres > Haiku
- Books > Reference > Writing > Poetry
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Buddhism > History
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Buddhism > Zen
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Worship & Devotion > Devotionals
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Spirituality
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Semantics