Secret Smile [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 22 April 2013
A gripping interpretation of Nicci French's novel about the boyfriend from hell, and it sticks reasonably close to the original story line. Good tempo, great acting by all concerned, and David Tennant is simply superb as the chilling, creepy Brendan Block.

There are some edits/ deletions from the book, presumably for brevity and to inject more pace, plus a few sequences are changed.

In part two particularly, some credibility is sacrificed in favour of dramatisation. This doesn't affect the entertainment value, just reduces depth. There is one scene where the viewer is deliberately mislead to introduce a `twist', but it's well done theatrical licence.

The end deviates somewhat from the book, which achieves its intended dramatic effect. But, the novel's version is the more plausible of the two, which is my personal preference. I do prefer story lines to be believable, even if it stretches credulity!

I would recommend both book and DVD.
VINE VOICEon 11 March 2018
This series was a let down in ba way, the premise of the series is one we have seen before. However, the acting is good. David Tennant is superb as the sneaky jerk who is a narsacissist, overbearing criminal.

The storyline may hook you right away, Brendan Block played by David Tennant dates Miranda Cotton, played by Kate Ashfield. Brendan becomes obsessed with Miranda, but she sees him for what he is and dumps him. Brendan becomes a stalker of sorts, and interesting developments occur in the family. Lots of twists and turns in this plot, and even though the storyline may be predictable, we are kept on tenterhooks.

Fine film for a cold or rainy day.

Recommended. prisrob 03-11-18
on 11 January 2018
I gave 4 stars as I watched this on TV a few years ago and remember it was good (and why I bought it now). However, I would like to know why there is a discrepancy in the run time? On the DVD it says 138 minutes but it is/was advertised as being 180 minutes. Can someone explain please? I will report back once I've watched it to give the actual run time. Thanks
on 11 May 2017
Set in Acton London. David Tennant stars in this mini series as Brendan the boyfriend from hell. Its essentially a tale of love and revenge.Miranda played by Kate Ashfield is the ex girlfriend and the subject of Brendans revenge.
Miranda comes across as stupid and naive and a doormat. However she does turn the tables at the end.
Its worth watching 4 stars because its implausible at times.
on 4 September 2011
As it has David Tennant I am sureit will be good that's why it got it's four stars but watch this space I might give it the five star treatment once I have seen it!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 September 2010
Actually, a while ago, my younger sister recommended this drama to me because I'm such a huge fan of David Tennant,through endless viewings of series two of Doctor Who ( I have near enough the entire series on dvd )but I usually prefer to read the book a drama was adapted from before I watch it on T.V, so I read the book, by Nicci French, and both are excellent! They differ in a number of ways, but you won't be disappointed! Watching Tennant's performance as boyfriend from Hell Brandon Block, made me realise that he is indeed an excellent actor, suited to any role he undertakes. The plot revolves around the havoc he wreaks on one family, and how Miranda, the protagonist,gets a little of her own back at the end. I have a confession to make, I've watched it twice since I bought it! Compelling, gripping,and thrilling from start to finish, 'Secret Smile ' is well worth the money, and an absolute must if you're a David Tennant fan.
on 29 January 2018
SPOILER maybe.

I don't consider this a spoiler because when you start a show and it is
immediately clear that there is NO hope... I'm not going to endure
the mental torment that the people are forced to go through because of a psycho!
on 29 April 2011
After ordering and receiving 2 DVD's I realized that they were Region 2 and could not be viewed in the U.S. However I found a DVD on another website and
received and really liked it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 April 2011
I bought this only because I was curious about Tennant's other work aside from Who. I had seen a clip from YouTube and was delighted to discover it was a thriller. Acting wise, I wasn't disappointed. All the characters are unlikeable and unsympathetic which comes across very well. From the obvious villain Block to the less than innocent Cotton. Tennant is hair raisingly evil and unlikeable, yet dangerously charming.

Unfortunately, that's where it all falls apart. The story is implausible and insulting, especially to those who work in law enforcement. The production values are rock bottom low-- I'm not expecting HD, but this looks like cheap dv. The way they handled the subplot of miranda's brother is also clumsy.

As for the DVD itself, the packaging is acceptable for the price. There are no extras whatsoever. Understandable for such a tele movie but disappointing nonetheless.
on 7 August 2015
Excellent Thriller , without spoiling the plot I feel there is some excellent acting in this dvd. Better than expected. More '' sneakiness '' than you can shake a stick at from one of the main characters @ all played very well throughout & one you could watch over even knowing how it turns out. Great one to buy & swap around with friends to watch too.