- Enjoy £1.00 credit to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 credit per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, November 30, 2016 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
The Secret Of The Magic Gourd [DVD]
Get £1 Off Amazon Video*
|Price:||£4.00 & FREE Delivery in the UK on orders over £20. Details|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Frequently Bought Together
Disney's first feature-length Chinese production, this live-action adventure follows the story of Wang Bao (Qilong Zhu/voiced by Corbin Bleu in the English dubbed version), an 11-year-old boy from Beijing who spends his time daydreaming and being teased by his classmates at school. While out fishing he finds Bao Hulu, a magical gourd that can grant him anything he wishes - but instead of making all his dreams come true, the gourd only succeeds in turning his world upside down.
Disney's first Chinese co-production, The Secret of the Magic Gourd is based on a traditional Chinese story by Zhang Tiun Yi about the value of hard work. Eleven-year-old Raymond Bao struggles against the high expectations of his parents, teachers, and fellow students while craving the freedom to pursue his interests and dreams at his own pace. Scoffing at his Grandmother's favorite tale about a magic gourd, Raymond goes fishing and catches a strange talking gourd that begins making his every wish come true. Initially ecstatic at his good fortune, Raymond quickly discovers that the gourd's literal interpretations of his wishes, without regard to consequences, can cause serious problems. While Raymond begins to excel in academics, swimming, and the estimation of his teacher and peers, his instant successes inspire doubt regarding his honesty and morality. Raymond soon realises that bad thoughts lead to becoming bad, and begins to understand that he must rely on his own inner strength in order to become a better, more successful person. The film's combination of real-life footage and animation is an effective way of portraying a world at once real and imaginary and the cross-cultural message about the value of working hard speaks to every audience. In this English adaptation, the magic gourd is voiced by High School Musical's Corbin Bleu; while the lack of synchronisation between voices and mouths in the film is disturbing to some kids and adults, it's more accessible than subtitles. (Ages 5 and older) --Tami Horiuchi
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
1. Underachieving youngster suffers peer and parent pressure
2. He chooses to go fish
3. Magic gourd serves up a fish fly
4. Confucius say: Hasty wishes taken literally make for velly big trouble.
5. Boy learns valuable lesson
1. A story illustrating that having your every wish fulfilled for you isn't as good as it sounds.
2. Decent entertainment for kids from 5 years to 9 years
1. Kung Fu movie style mismatched voice dubbing
2. Less than stellar acting
1. That weird and freaky pop-eyed gourd
2. The fade to black screen transitions from one scene to the next
Although quite acceptable for the target market of primary school kids (my son has watched it twice in a row) it doesn't come close to being a Disney classic. Not that it's a terrible movie (I've seen worse) but be warned that even though it says Disney on the package and opening credits, it's the discount import version.
Recommended as a rental for a family evening if you have younger kids, or if you're young enough to know who Corbin Bleu is.*
*He's the voice of the magic gourd in this movie, and one of the stars of the High School Musical franchise.
The blurb on the DVD cover outrated the actual film!
But kept the kids quiet for 80 mins.
Hire don't buy
and the story was good in fact we got sick of reading it he enjoyed that much
A lovely tale.
keeps there a tention
makes them laugh and talk about it afterwards
good family movie
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I've seen this film and was so pleased to see it in the list, had to have for my collection.Published 18 months ago by Dianna Midgley