Secret Life of Dr James Barry: Victorian England's Most Eminent Surgeon Paperback – 1 Jan 2007
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Rachel Holmes completed her PhD under Roy Porter, and then held lectureships in English at the University of Sussex, and Queen Mary College at the University of London. In 1998 she became part of the launch team of Amazon.co.uk, and was Web Site Manager of the Amazon UK site before leaving in December 2002 to pursue a full-time writing career. She has judged several literary prizes, including the 2000 Whitbread Novel Award and the 2001 Orange Prize for Fiction, and has appeared on Any Questions and Newsnight Review.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
After graduation from the University of Edinburgh Medical School, she served in India, and Cape Town, South Africa, introducing many improvements – especially for the poorer people and for people suffering from leprosy. She was popular socially, due to a long friendship with influential people. She seems to have been an enlightened doctor and specialised in childbirth, being one of the earliest doctors to develop the Caesarian method of childbirth.
This book is a detailed study of her life and works. Letters exchanged among those who knew her before and after her death speculated that she may have been an hermaphrodite – neither wholly woman or wholly man. Her career in medicine is an amazing story and I would urge anyone to read it, it’s absolutely fascinating.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1701-1900
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Georgian to Victorian: 1701-1900
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Historical > Social & Urban History
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Medical
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > British Heads of State
- Books > History > Other Historical Subjects > History of Medicine
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine