on 17 February 2001
The wisdom of Florence Scovel-Shinn has made such an impact on my life from small everyday things right up. Entering the genre as a confirmed sceptic I then decided to commit to her advice with an open mind and heart, discovering that we really do possess the power within to change our circumstances by our attitudes, words and thoughts. I am now a dedicated student of her writings - the world has changed so much in the last 80 years but Florence's teaching is every bit as applicable today as ever!
on 6 July 2013
I know that there have been comments about the biblical aspects, but although not of a set religion, I didn't mind that. It is the Spirit of her words. Her book is written in a simple style which I like, no frills. I have certainly picked some of her affirmations. to make my life more positive, and hopefully others. Florence Scovel-Shinn, was she the originator of positive affirmations? I don't know, but I like her, and wouldn't have thought she'd been dead since 1940. I'm just about to order another.
on 31 October 2011
THE SECRET DOOR TO SUCCESS by FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN was written in the 1920s. Given the time and era of its origination it comes as no suprise that THE SECRET DOOR TO SUCCESS by FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN has more Secrets to reveal to you, and is very much over-shadowed, under-rated and under-valued by its present-day version 'The Secret' (See All My Reviews).
There are 'No Hidden Agenda's such as author self-glorification and self-made-millionaire - just a kind of purity in the author wanting to share her knowledge and wisdom.

THE SECRET DOOR TO SUCCESS by FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN contains many biblical citations, quotes and stories. Each of which is given the spiritual/inner/metaphysical meaning of the point the bible highlighted which, over time, we have misunderstood. There is also a whole chapter devoted to the Fairy Tale Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs which, once you read FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN's Inner Meaning Of Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs you will never again view a Fairy Tale/Folk Tale with the same eyes and ears you once had. You will remain constantly Locked into seeking the Inner Meaning of other Tales/Stories/Fables, as you read them to your children/grand children.

THE SECRET DOOR TO SUCCESS by FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN is just so apt for today, it's hard to believe, but not suprising that it might be the result of a time and era when the spirit of the sinking of the Titanic was perhaps still shaping history just like it still does today - women had no vote in some countries/counties/places, and they were treated as the property belonging to that of a husband or a father. Women in general were regarded as second class citizens. These were the years leading up to The Wall Street Crash and 'The Depression' when The Mafia had their hands on, and fingers in all sorts of pies. Poverty and unemployment was also rife.

THE SECRET DOOR TO SUCCESS by FLORENCE SCOVEL-SHINN is so apt for today, considering - well, considering now that churches and religious deities have switched/shifted their Game plan of emotional blackmail and control of one's life with verbal attacks on the sinner by way of condemination, threats and cursing of hell, fire and brimstone, to one of controlling the believer and/or interested party, and harnessing their power, freedom and wisdom by way of exchange and barter, - ie. by 'selling' the idea to all concerned, that only with devotion to a church, commitment to Prayer and the regular systematic giving of Tithes, can you have or ever get 'it all'. You too, can be a Success story, and that this Success is a Blessing - a Blessing not to be frowned upon.

Thank You!
on 2 November 1997
It's hard to imagine that this book was written so many years ago. This is what Anthony Robbins, Mark Fisher, Jim Rohn and the like must have read from. Amazing insights and I especially like the fact that she explains the Bible stories. Incredibly practival and insightful!
on 14 September 2013
Went back to basics with this book. Nothing basic about it though. This book is good to recharge your mindset about asking and receiving. Each chapter is a gem. I will re read this many times.
Consisting of a series of talks on various topics relating to the achievement of happiness, this book teaches the reader how to triumph over adversity and experience abundance through spiritual law. The author’s clear explanation of Biblical tales and metaphors is especially valuable and insightful and her interpretations are full of common sense and practical wisdom. Her very engaging style and wonderful ability to explain age-old spiritual truth ensure a stimulating and uplifting reading experience. She deals with topics like faith, intuition, inspiration, expectancy and more, and even refers to movies like The Wizard of Oz. The last chapter is about the inner meaning of the fable of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs and how it relates to the thought-forms in the subconscious mind of the individual. It’s brilliant! Not only are her words powerful and inspiring, but special affirmations are provided to help achieve successful outcomes. The Secret Door is definitely on a par with her classic work The Game Of Life and I strongly recommend it.
on 28 July 2014
Florence's style is a bit dated now. as to be expected from a book of this age. That said. its still a pretty good book. I felt it resonated well with Judge Trevor Trowards work. or Genevive Behrend.
on 21 January 2014
I have been carrying out some research regarding this type of book and they are all 'OK' but none of them really seems to hit the mark. It is an interesting book but does not contain a revelation - although the revelation exists. The answer lies elsewhere.
on 18 August 2013
This is very simple and some of it will be things you have heard before. A lot of this stuff is used in modern self help literature. However, its still totally worth reading. There is something about the straightforward narrative that just makes it work. I love the biblical
references too.
on 14 February 2014
As soon as I go this book, I began to banish the daily doubts and worries that we all have about life and its challenges, I am finding myself taking more control of what I choose to think and affirm positive prayers. Oh, it works too!!!