- Enjoy £1.00 reward to spend on movies or TV on Amazon Video when you purchase a DVD or Blu-ray offered by Amazon.co.uk. A maximum of 1 reward per customer applies. UK customers only. Offer ends at 23:59 GMT on Wednesday, December 20, 2017 Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Secret Army - The Complete BBC Series 1[DVD]
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special offers and product promotions
Frequently bought together
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Devised and produced by Gerard Glaister (Colditz, The Expert, The Brothers), the award-winning BBC series Secret Army is a gripping portrayal of the lives of a group of Belgian resistance members and their German oppressors during WWII. Often remembered merely as the inspiration for the comedy series 'Allo 'Allo! it is high time that this excellent drama series was re-appraised. Series one - 16 episodes.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
Instead, if you prefer intelligent and gripping drama, with well thought out characters and moral ambiguity, this is strongly recommended.
The series is not afraid to see major characters die and the outcomes of these mostly self contained episodes is never guaranteed; the Germans have successes and the Underground movement have them too, but often at a cost. Nor are the Germans one dimensional figures of evil or the Belgians entirely the good hearted patriots of war time propaganda film. What we see are real human beings, with strengths and weaknesses, ruthlessness and heroism.
Experts on World War Two may well spot loopholes, but not being one, they were not obvious to me.
It is hard to know when the drama is set; probably late 1941 to early 1942; not at a time when the Allied cuase is prospering, certainly, and one gets the idea that danger is all around for the characters in a very uncertain world. Certainly not one which anyone would want to go back to.
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews