on 28 April 2016
If you are after an action Sci - Fi thriller then this is not for you?.
We follow Star, who is in charge of building and developing a man made planet called Ellfive.
The story is told through her eyes, she has to deal with different problems not only from earth but other settlements, as well as Ellfive.
The writing as far as I am concerned is very good, and I would read this author again.
Having read other reviews of this book, I feel that a lot of people are critical because it is not their normal genre, O.K some of the science facts are incorrect ( I'm not a techy minded person ) but this is Science Fiction, The last part says it all "Fiction".
After all said and done top writers used to think that Mars was inhabited by Martians.
Back to the book, we are given some information on the state off Earth both Political and human population, and as this is the first in the series, some background is required to make some sense of what is happening and why, also the main character is a woman, this makes a change from all the macho guys.
For me a good read and would not hesitate to read other books by this author.
Five stars from me
on 22 July 2017
#amreading: I am a huge fan of Dana Stabenow ever since I first laid eyes on her Kate Shugak series. The first Star Svensdotter book needed a while though to catch my enthusiasm.

Much too much science in this fiction at first in my opinion. No idea why I kept on reading. Well, I have an idea: It is another of her enigmatic female main characters that just kept me glued to the book.

After Stabenow has described the space world in the book in all those scientific and Latin expressions the story fully kicked off with an interesting love story and a failed take over of her world.

And, of course, there is extraterrestrial intelligence involved. Nothing more exciting than that.

If you love science fiction that takes the science part serious that's the series for you. If you love science fiction more for the excitement allow yourself to get through the initial struggle with her world building and you won't be disappointed either.
on 15 October 2017
I really didn't like this at all. Feels like there's chunks of the story missing (including a decent prologue to set the scene), the characters are thin and watery...
Probably my least favourite read so far this year.
on 10 August 2017
I am not a fan of sifi. I found the technology confusing and worrying .for people who like technology it would probably be very enjoyable. I am too old.
on 6 March 2012
This story is based upon the concept of a new human habitat in space, positioned at one of the Lagrange points in Lunar orbit. It gives an indication of the social, political and technological impetus to the plans, without being bogged down by too much technical detail. It can be seen as a modern day allegory of the expansion across the open plains of America. However, as in the Old West, there are problems; and there are those people that want to control the new frontier and grab power for themselves.

This is a great story, very well written with some excellent sections of good descriptive writing. I would think that even those readers not entirely comfortable with SF might find this enjoyable, as it focuses more on the human element rather than the technology. The plot is carefully thought out, and develops nicely as you move through the storyline.

Although there are some descriptions of violence and death, they are in context and the story does not dwell on them excessively. I found that I didn't want to put the book down until I had finished reading it all the way through; and I will definitely be looking out for the sequel stories. Well worth downloading to the Kindle.
on 27 November 2013
I have read other books by this author and unfortunately, found this one the hardest to read as it is a sci fi. It is a slow starter, but if you can persevere and get through the first half of the book then it gets better and the storyline more gripping.
on 28 August 2014
Was taken aback by this book - I didn't read through properly and was expecting another Alaskan story but instead got a very commendable sci-fi story. Dana Stabenow wrote with what I thought was conviction - it seemed possible that sometime in the future life could be like this and, against all my instincts, I really enjoyed this story
on 14 October 2013
Although this is a departure into a new genre for the author, the high quality of the narrative remains. Like her books set in Alaska, the characters are introduced and developed as the book progresses.

The plot developed late on is rather predictable but nonetheless readable and presumably sets the scene for later novels in the set to follow. The relevance of the wealth of pseudo technical detail is hard to follow at times but at the same time does not detract from the story.

It provided good airport reading material being easy to pick up and put down and helped while away the time nicely.
on 8 November 2012
This was well written, interesting and well thought out. OK some parts were a bit obvious and/or lacked credibility, but then again it kept me reading to the end so overall it was a good read. Will no doubt go back and get the next in the series though for now I have changed genres. This was the third book from Dana Stabenow that I have read which must say something!
on 15 February 2013
I chose this as I had previously read one of the Kate Shugak mystery stories and loved it so decided to see what else she could do ( she being the authoress ) glad I did . Totally different, hope to try lots more of her work.Would recommend to anyone looking for a descriptive and extremely clever writer.