- Paperback: 240 pages
- Publisher: Scout Publishing LLC; 2 edition (20 Aug. 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0989586820
- ISBN-13: 978-0989586825
- Product Dimensions: 15.2 x 1.4 x 22.9 cm
- Average Customer Review: 5.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,530,380 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Second Son: Transitioning Toward My Destiny, Love and Life Paperback – 20 Aug 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Ryan Sallans, born and raised in rural Nebraska, began his transition from female to male in 2005. He works as a public speaker, diversity trainer, consultant, publisher and author specializing in health care, campus inclusion, and workplace issues surrounding the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, Intersex and Asexual (LGBTQIA) community. Today, he is most known as a national speaker who shares his transition journey, as well as his struggles with an eating disorder. His story is told with an intermixing of humor and intricate clinical details surrounding the transition process. Ryan attended the University of Nebraska-Lincoln where he received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and Anthropology, a Master of Arts degree in English and a Master of Arts degree in educational psychology. To learn more, visit Ryan’s website at: http://www.ryansallans.com.
Top Customer Reviews
Would definitely recommend for anyone who is either transitioning or families/partners/friends of transgender people. Very informative and has a personal touch from Ryan's side
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
Something to keep in mind is that it feels like it's geared more toward educating a cisgender audience, with before/after photographs, a lot of description of "the surgeries," and a pretty typical trans narrative. He's very candid about his struggles with his body, partner, and family, but the discussion seems to be set up more for folks who aren't already familiar with transgender issues, and explores things on a very binary level, telling a transition story that will sound very familiar to anyone who has sought out similar material already. Still, I appreciate Ryan's honesty and self-disclosure, as well as the advocacy work in which he is involved.
I just finished reading your book and I could NOT put it down! You are handsome, brilliant, talented, courageous, and a definite role model. I highly recommend this book to anyone. It's a story of humanity, love, and being true to yourself. I can honestly say Ryan's work has positively influenced my life and will continue to touch anyone who reads it. This book should be shared with your neighbors, friends and family! Loved it.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Gay & Lesbian
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Eating Disorders
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Self Help > Practical & Motivational
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Gender Studies