Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 26 April 2014
I am rapidly becoming a big fan of Jane Odiwe. This is the second of her books that I have read to date, but it certainly won't be the last.

Searching For Captain Wentworth was full of perfect detail and had me engrossed for hours. The main character, Sophie, was such a likeable heroine and I must admit to having a bit of envy for her trip to Bath and the events that then play out. Sophie time travels between the present day and Georgian England and we get to meet both Jane Austen and her brother Charles as this beautiful story enfolds.

The whole book felt atmospheric, the characters were well rounded and satisfyingly developed, making an absorbing and hypnotic story. Jane Odiwe has developed the wonderful knack of writing a modern day book, but full of delightful Georgian romance, and who wouldn't want a bit of old fashioned romance?

If you are a fan of Jane Austen you need to check this one out.
on 28 March 2013
Searching for Captain Wentworth is not a sequel, despite the title, but a time-slip novel that combines a contemporary romance with a 'historical' where the heroine, Sophie, moves between love stories in Jane Austen's world and the present day. It at first appears to be a supernatural story - but what's really going on, which world will she choose and which hero - Josh or Charles? With lots of historical detail and echoes from Jane Austen's novels and life it's a well-written, original and intriguing romantic read for JA fans and anyone who enjoyed Lost in Austen.
on 20 November 2012
This book is drenched with romance and dripping in sentiment...and I LOVED every single bit of it. I think it's well written and more importantly produces a heroine that I really cared about and wanted to see happy, which is a hard thing to do. The descriptions of Bath were spot on, and I even learned things about the place I never knew.
It's great that it's a novel of time travel, the secret wish of any Janite, to go back in time and actually meet the great lady herself, and this aspect of the story was dealt with charm and sincerity. The men of the book are very lovely, quite swoon worthy, even if they're not Mr Darcy. (I can't say anymore, otherwise I'll have totally given the game and plot away. Even though you might guess pretty early what's going on, as I did, it's still an enjoyable read.)
This book was fantastic, definitely a keeper as I will read it again,(and again...)and recommend it to any Lover of Austen, armed with a box of choccies and a great imagination.
on 20 October 2014
"Searching for Captain Wentworth" is a novel from lovely authoress Jane Odiwe. Searching for Captain Wentworth is a time travel story, which is full of romance and I LOVED every single page of the book! Her lead character Sophie has just ended a disastrous love affair, when she goes to Bath from where she finds a glove, and ends up in her ancestor Sophia's life in Georgian Bath. Here she meets Jane Austen, her sister Cassandra and their brother Charles.
Now Sophie have to choose which hero she wants, her mysterious but handsome friend Josh in the present or... well I better stop writing or else I will give everything away.

Enough to say that if a reader loves Jane Austen's "Persuasion" then this is The book to read, as it is full of romance, Lyme, Bath and mystery. Be ready for adventure and love.
on 15 September 2012
Searching For Captain Wentworth is a new departure for Jane Odiwe. In this sparkling new novel, she takes the reader on a journey into the past, seen through the eyes of modern heroine and Austen addict, Sophie Elliot.
Sophie, on the rebound from a disastrous love affair, is mysteriously transported into Jane Austen's time. In the body of her ancestor, Sophia, she even meets her idol Jane, her sister Cassandra, and their handsome brother Charles, a naval officer.
Searching for Captain Wentworth is really two love stories - one between Sophie and her new, handsome friend Josh - and one between Sophia and... but I don't want to give too much of the plot away.
Jane Odiwe is clearly at home in the period, and Austen fans will find much to enjoy in her meticulous recreation of the glittering world of Regency Bath and Lyme Regis - the setting for Persuasion.
Will Sophie find true love and a fairytale ending? Or will her time travels jeapordise her happiness - and that of her ancestor Sophia?
on 16 September 2013
For all fans of Jane Austen, this is a great novel of a young woman from modern day times, thrown back in time to befriend Jane Austen and her family. I really enjoyed this book and shall be looking to read more from Jane Odiwe. The style of writing is very easy and fluent and the storyline is really good. It kept me gripped from page one. If you like everything regency and romantic, you will love this book
on 12 November 2012
When I received this lovely book I firstly admired the cover. Then I wondered if I'd done the right thing deciding to read it, when I realised just how passionate the author is about Jane Austen and her works. This book is based very firmly around Janes life and although I've enjoyed several movies based on books by Jane Austen I've never actually read any of her books and I wondered if this was going to make any sense without an in depth knowledge of her work and in particular Persuasion on which this book leans heavily for inspiration.

I needn't have worried it stands alone as a dual time romance and is a lovely flowing story. It begins in the present day when young Sophie Elliott, reeling from a broken romance, longing to be a writer, having lost her mojo somewhat is out of the blue offered the keys to an apartment in Bath and an invitation to occupy the formerly empty apartment for as long as she needs to get back on her feet. Who could resists an offer like that? When she arrives to find it full of dust from years of disuse only the fact that it is situated next door to the house where one of her favourite authors used to live makes her want to stay.

When young and handsome neighbour Josh drops a glove, Sophie picks it up intending to return it and is mysteriously transported back in time to the Regency era, where she happens to meet and befriend Jane Austen herself.

Travelling back and forth between past and present is always a difficult concept to grasp and one has to suspend disbelief somewhat, however it is done with such charm and ease I found it quite easy to accept. As present day offers her friendship with the likeable Josh, the past offers a different friendship with Jane herself and the possibility of love looms with Janes brother Charles.

Whilst Sophie investigates a secret romance she suspects existed between Jane and a mystery man, discovers a chain of coincidences linking her family history to the Austens and struggles with travelling back and forth in time taking its toll on her health.

The setting of Bath is exquisitely described and the authors knowledge of and love for Jane Austen shines through like a beacon.

I enjoyed both the modern day story and the past regressions Sophie experiences and although there are one heck of a lot of coincidences to accept, the whole story is captivating, fun, very romantic and very cleverly constructed. A delight for romance lovers and an absolute must for Austen enthusiasts.
on 21 October 2012
Just as Jane Austen captured the hearts and minds of her devoted readers so too does Jane Odiwe, who writes in such a captivating and beautifully rich style as to melt your heart. This poignant and compelling love story is about one of the most highly acclaimed, remarkably striking and much loved writers ever in history who is still cherished as much today as she was a hundred years ago. Over the years so many have read about those famous characters like Mr. Darcy or Cornel Brandon or Emma Woodhouse delving into their hearts, but never finding out about the woman behind the noteworthy stories that reveal the workings of the heart with such perfect clarity and integrity. Here all is discovered about Jane Austen's heart and her life, and in particular regarding the hero of the much loved novel Persuasion; Captain Wentworth.

Sophie Elliot moves to her new home in Bath, where she will dwell next to the prior residence of one of the most distinctive female authors ever; Jane Austen. The neglected, abandoned house seems to be concealing more secrets than initially meets the eye, as Sophie's curiosity and inquisitiveness gets the better of her. She then discovers an ancient glove belonging to her peculiar neighbor Josh Strafford that transports her back in time to the Regency period. At first everything seems astonishing as Sophie is baffled by the time traveling, as she is caught up in the middle of two very different dimensions that each are as real as the other. She becomes lost, torn between her ancestor who is a close friend of Jane Austen and her brother Charles, and her life in the modern, present day world where she truly belongs. As her story spans across a two hundred year time span, she tries to unite this modern heroine with her own Captain Wentworth, applying her deep knowledge of the inner workings of the human heart and of true love, into the modern age of civilization. This clever and inspired story blends both fact and fiction together, combining the historical past with the relevant modern day, twenty-first century to create something absolutely spectacular. This is a tale of Jane Austen's own quest for happiness as she becomes very much a part of her own novels, and similar to those iconic characters that she has created and developed. Here in a most authentic, believable world full of new possibilities one finds out more about the true inspiration behind Persuasion, and the writer who made such words come to life.

I cannot express in words how much I enjoyed reading this beautiful, haunting and mesmerizing novel that I was unable to put down for even a moment. I have always been such an avid reader and admirer of Jane Austen who is an inspirational, exceptional writer whose work is just as relevant today as it was many years ago, with her beloved and so credible characters standing the test of time. Reading this book was like opening a window into one of the most beloved writers of an age and glimpsing into the depths of her soul, hence I urge those of you who endeavor to acquire such a sight to take a look. I also adore historical fiction that is well-written and authentic, and I loved how I was transported back in time with everything down to the small details captured perfectly. The combination of past and present makes this story so readable to such a diverse readership, that you can totally relate to and connect with being that the modern elements bring the past vividly to life once again. If you love historical fiction, well written narrative that is gripping and adore Jane Austen's work and her iconic characters then I urge you to read Jane Odwie's novel for it is breathtaking. Just completely tremendous, this wonderful read that is full of panache and elegance, is taking pride of place at the top of my bookshelf to be re-read time and time again just like Austen's books.

*I would like to take this opportunity of thanking the author Jane Odiwe for having her novel as a giveaway on a blog, which I concider myself unbelievably fortunate to have won. The lovely, personal inscription and card were so touching hence I cannot thank her enough. I do hope to read more of this accomplished author's original and unique work in the future.
on 2 October 2012
I am ashamed to admit that I haven't read a book for pleasure in almost two years now. I started off reading a chaper or two here and there, but it wasn't long into 'Searching for Captain Wentworth' when I became absorbed and engrossed into this enchanting love story across time. Soon I was glad when my friends were late to meet me or the train was delayed as it gave me a few more precious minutes lost in the world of Sophie - or Sophia.

The book is a beautifully written time travelling tale executed with fabulous attention to detail; as ever with Odiwe, her descriptions and well-researched details truly brings the scenes to life and engages the reader with the creation of lovable, charming characters. The two love stories that intertwine throughout the book in the present day and in Jane Austen's time are cleverly written and will have hopeless romantics like myself on tenter hooks. Although the times that Odiwe's lead character travels between are very different, the themes of forbidden love and societal pressure remain as true today as they were in Jane Austen's time.

I shall not spoil the ending apart from to say that you are in for a great treat that took me by a very pleasant surprie. As the nights are drawing in, I could think of nothing better than to get lost in this beautiful tale whilst snuggled up with a hot drink, letting your imagination run wild.
on 22 January 2013
We are very proud to announce that Searching For Captain Wentworth has been honored with the B.R.A.G.Medallion. This tells readers that this is most certainly a book well worth your time and money!