on 12 July 2016
I bought this item several months ago am finally getting to the end (3000+ pages) and have found that the last 34 pages of the final volume are missing.
This was a present and I'm very disappointed.
on 2 September 2010
These volumes are well produced and make a good collection in their box. Paperbacks sometimes do not have a good feel to them but these volumes lie open at ease and are quite pleasant to hold. If you are reading this you already know something about the contents. Price reasonable.
on 13 October 2002
"In Search of Lost Time" by Marcel Proust is a book that should be read by everyone, especially those with an interest in human perception, snobbishness, the inner self, obsessive love, Modern Art and very long sentences. It is a masterful traverse of French society before and after the First World War, which brilliantly and beautifully illustrates the lingering figures of an aristocracy, which many today might have thought died out with the guillotine. Proust paints his characters as brightly as Toulouse Latrec and as sharply as the previously mentioned blade. The reader will particularly enjoy the narrator's reverence for the deeply fashionable M Swann, his descriptions of the interminable soirees of the drearily nouveau-riche Mme Verdurin, his claustrophobic love for Gilberte/Mme Guermantes/Albertine, and his encyclopaedic wit and wisdom on everything from the stage, fashion trends, the stock market, the telephone, the automobile, and sapphic love, through to hawthorns and those famous little cakes. For those that do not make it to the end the last word is time. What's a million and half words anyway?
44 Comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2014
Superb edition of the timeless classic (no pun intended). A must read.
on 23 June 2011
Everyone should read this book as soon as they are able to do so. The wisdom and insight it contains give valuable tools for making it in society. I'm over 60 and am kicking myself for not having read the book earlier and for having listened to people who said it's impossible to read and understand because of the long sentences and page-long paragraphs. Reading it is slow but really worth it. I am actually reading it first in French and once I have finished, I shall read it in English. Proust 'reads' people and judges them - not at first sight, but once he figures them out, no one is spared his sarcasm, not princes, princesses, anyone!
on 18 January 2016
Very nicely packaged and presented. I particularly like the way the pages stay open, which makes it an easier read and stay focused upon the text (which for me takes a fair degree of concentration). I will keep returning to this work of literature throughout my life to enrich it and help me see the world through Proust's eyes.
on 24 May 2011
OK, cut to the chase: this is the best englishing of Proust to date, unlikely to be bettered, in a beautifully printed and presented edition...
At a good price too. My 89-year old mother is approaching the end of volume one and, at her present rate, will certainly get much further than I ever did. Finished by Christmas no doubt.

Go on, take it on - unless you read French, in which case it's the Garnier.
on 24 March 2015
good delivery and good value for money
on 4 October 2016
I bought this collection years ago but it's just too daunting. It's now in a cardboard box in the attic. I feel like a failure. Perhaps I am intellectually challenged? Actually, I don't know anyone who has read the whole collection. I was trying to impress a boy - obvs. I am now married and watching Jeremy Kyle - oh how the mighty are fallen. Maybe I will re list it?
on 24 August 2013
I like a cover and all the delivery 'picture'. I'll recommend the purse to my family members.

Many thanks,