A Seaman's Pocketbook: June, 1943 - By the Lord Commissioners of the Admiralty Hardcover – 1 Sep 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
About the Author
Brian Lavery is one of Britain's leading naval historians and a prolific author. A Curator Emeritus at the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, and a renowned expert on the sailing navy and the Royal Navy, in 2007 he won the prestigious Desmond Wettern Maritime Media Award. His naval writing was further honoured in 2008 with the Society of Nautical Research's Anderson Medal. His recent titles include Ship (2006), Royal Tars (2010), Conquest of the Ocean (2013), In Which They Served (2008), Churchill's Navy (2006), and the Sunday Times bestseller Empire of the Seas (2010).'
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
It was written to explain the most important aspects of seamanship to a total novice, a book he could tuck into his pocket and refer to if he was uncertain about something. There are no arcane terms or information that you can't find anywhere else, but it does contain all the non-specialist knowledge a seaman would need.
I personally find it very useful as a reference handbook, if there is some term or idea I'm not sure about I can check the index or the chapter list and I'm sure to find it.
thing I find interesting is that the Signal Flag Codes have totally changed, the ones used in the 1943 pocket book
are not used in the 60's onwards or todays navy.
I was amaze how many phrases i knew that where actually sailing terminology and i didnt even know it!
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Europe > Great Britain
- Books > History > Military History > Armed Forces > Naval Forces
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Naval Warfare
- Books > History > Military History > World War II 1939-1945 > Origins
- Books > History > World History > Maritime History & Piracy