Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 November 2011
This is a low-reading-age, high-interest-age short book, not a full-length novel like Palmer's Football Academy series. It's fine for what it is but if you're looking for fiction to interest a rugby-mad able reader, this isn't it.
on 10 January 2014
My son has not always loved reading - he has come to the merits of reading quite late - but the combination of reading and rugby has been fantastic here. Rugby has been a passion for 3 years, and he thought this book was perfection. It's not all scrums and pitch-talk, though, I was impressed when my son revealed the sensitive side of the story. Really good. Would recommend to all rugby-loving boys who need some encouragement to dive into a book rather than a scrum!
on 29 April 2012
A great subject matter, with short chapters encouraging reluctant readers but with a real storyline unlike other books in this format. It creates interest for those into both rugby codes linking the storyline around the union/league rivalry. Just what we need to enthuse boys and presented in an easy to read format making well written stories accessible to all.
on 25 August 2014
Excellent read for slightly slow readers of dyslexic readers. Funny and entertaining.
on 29 February 2016
I chose Scrum because I have read all of Tom Palmer’s football academy books and one of the rugby academy books and I wanted to read another one because I think Tom Palmer is really good.
The story is about a boy called Steven who lives in the north and plays rugby league. His mum and dad split up and he heads down south with his mum and her new boyfriend. Because he’s down south he has to play rugby union and he feels like a traitor to his dad because he’s not playing rugby league as much.
I liked this book because it is about sport and rugby. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes rugby and aged between 7 and 10. It is easy to read and is a page turner!

I LOVE TOM PALMER!!!
on 14 July 2014
Great
on 30 May 2016
Found this really helpful for use as a story starter with rugby mad Year 6 boys.
on 30 December 2014