- Paperback: 274 pages
- Publisher: Westminster John Knox Press (3 Oct. 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0664229913
- ISBN-13: 978-0664229917
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 1.5 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,580,489 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Scribes, Visionaries, and the Politics of Second Temple Judea Paperback – 3 Oct 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers who bought this item also bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Judaism and Christianity both arose in times of empire, with roots in Persian, Hellenistic, and Roman periods. In order to understand these religious movements, we must first understand the history and society of these imperial cultures. In these formative years, wisdom and apocalyptic traditions flourished as two significant religious forms. In "Scribes, Visionaries, and the Politics of Second Temple Judea", distinguished New Testament scholar Richard A Horsley analyzes the function and meaning of these religious movements within their social context, providing essential background for the development of early Judaism and early Christianity. It is an ideal textbook for classes on the rise of Judaism or the Second Temple period, as well as Dead Sea Scrolls and Apocrypha.
About the Author
Richard A. Horsley is Distinguished Professor of Liberal Arts and the Study of Religion at the University of Massachusetts, Boston. He is a prolific author with twenty New Testament studies to his credit, including Scribes, Visionaries, and the Politics of Second Temple Judea, published by WJK.
|5 star (0%)|
|4 star (0%)|
|3 star (0%)|
|2 star (0%)|
|1 star (0%)|
Most helpful customer reviews on Amazon.com