Customer reviews

Format: Audio Download|Change

on 14 February 2014
I did enjoy this book, at times made me laugh out loud other times I was keeping my tears in, worth a reas
on 22 August 2013
Synopsis/blurb........
Ex-army sergeant Daniel McEvoy is ready to say goodbye New Jersey's lawless underworld and concentrate on his new life as club owner and bona fide boyfriend. But when he's abducted and driven into the Hudson by a vengeful crime boss, he realises that the New Jersey underworld isn't ready to say goodbye to him.
If Dan is to survive, he will have to evade bad guys on both sides of the law and find the missing aunt who once taught him how to handle boobs.
Eoin Colfer, author of the Artemis Fowl novels, turns his outstanding talent to a world as criminally funny as it is dark and compelling.
Well I had been looking forward to this for a few months now, having lapped up the first Colfer crime caper, Plugged when it came out back in 2011. Plugged introduced us to Daniel McEvoy and his small circle of friends, Zeb, Sofia, Jason and Ronelle. Fast, fun and fresh it was one of my best reads of 2011.
Second time around for McEvoy and the gang and I was bored and unimpressed for the most part. I can typically gauge my gut reaction to how a book is going by the speed at which I read it. This was 310 pages long and it took me a week or thereabouts to get to the halfway point. Never a good sign.
Yesterday morning, on page 164 Colfer has McEvoy musing ......"If it was up to me, I would throw in the towel right now and spare myself the rest of this s***** day." Spooky how at that particular moment in time I couldn't have felt any closer to Daniel!
However, being made of sterner stuff I cracked on and it improved enough for me to knock off the remaining half of the book yesterday morning and evening. There were a few chuckles to be had and some enjoyable passages, particularly when McEvoy was at the mercy of the dodgy cops, Fortz and Krieger and also when he dealt with Freckles and Shea-ster. These glimpses of sunshine alone weren't sufficient to overcome what was for me a dull and uninspiring book.
McEvoy in the two years since I read the last outing is in exactly the same place emotionally as he was before. We have the same flashbacks and memories of his abusive father and difficult childhood. He has the same relationship issues with his delusional on/off (or never on to be more accurate) "girlfriend" Sofia. He shares the same tired banter with his irritating friend Zeb and his nemesis Mike is still on the scene. Colfer puts McEvoy into situations with firearms that you know won't result in him taking decisive action which could have concluded the book a hundred pages earlier.....why not?
In the final analysis, I was deeply disappointed having expected much more. I haven't been put off Colfer totally and I would read him again but not with the same cast of characters.
Oscillating between scoring it a 2 and a 3. Disappointment prevails 2 from 5
I borrowed my copy from my local library.
on 15 September 2013
I remember watching the Robert DeNiro/Charles Grodin movie Midnight Run when it first came out and looking at my watch after about an hour and a half and thinking: "Fantastic! There is another hour to go!"

I had a similar reaction after about 200 pages of this book: "Great! There is another 100 pages to go!"

Screwed is the second in Eoin Colfer's series about the misadventures of ex-Irish Army sergeant Daniel McEvoy on the fringes of the New Jersey criminal underworld. In this novel Dan is required to deliver a package to a criminal in New York in order to part-pay a debt to another local crime lord. Nobody says "Its a midnight run, for crissake!" but you know, because this is Dan's world, that the rest of the book is going to chart a couple of days for Dan similarly fraught to the ones Grodin and DeNiro endured all those years ago. Indeed, nothing is ever as straightforward as Dan would like it to be and the novel charts Dan's subsequent antics hoping from frying pans to fires and back again.

The series seems to be finding its feet with this novel: its funny, exciting, and with a welcome reduction on some of the wise cracking of the previous novel even if Dan does tend rather too often to "with one bound" free himself from some terrifying situations. Still the novel is knowing enough to forgive this and leaves one looking forward to the next installment.
on 5 June 2013
Screwed is a screwball noir that rattles along a quick clip, with McEvoy pinging from one dose of slapstick violence and gallows humour to another. Colfer has an engaging voice and the narrative is witty and sassy, with a number of laugh out loud moments. As with all comic crime capers the plot is a little ridiculous and the characters lean towards caricature, but that's a key part of what makes them work. Colfer sets out a series of quirky plot strands then weaves together to form a story full of collisions and ricochets, whilst also filling in more of McEvoy's family back story. As I noted with respect to the first book, Plugged, McEvoy seemed a little out of key - he's meant to be scarred with deep psychological flaws courtesy of an abusive family upbringing and his time as a peacekeeper in the Lebanon, but he seems way too together, clear thinking and assured in his own violent abilities to fit that mould. Moreover, some of the humour seems a little forced at times. Nevertheless, Screwed is good rollicking fun and an enjoyable second book in the series.
on 10 October 2013
I read the first in this series and couldn't wait to read this one. Sat down and read it in one evening. Grinning to my self all the way through. Its a wonderful p*ss take of the Jack Reacher Joe Hunter ex army guy - type books. I love those as well but this is really fun. The scene where Dan McEvoy is abducted by two bent cops who dress him up in a pink jock strap and try to use him in a snuff movie nearly had me crying with laughter.
on 30 June 2013
I have liked his other books but Eoin Colfer ruined an interesting plot with far too many jokey episodes and fond memories and if he continues in this manner I think he will start to lose readers.
As another reviewer wrote 'it was a hard read and at times you wanted to skip sections to get back to the plot'.
on 12 July 2013
Have waited for the follow up book to Plugged as I enjoyed it so much. Screwed continues the same characters and the same humour as Plugged, and is a chronicle of the trouble that one man can find himself in when surrounded by villains from all walks of life. Now waiting for the next one.
on 13 June 2014
Great but read Plugged first. Imagine someone who receives a hot jalepeno chilli enema. Well this is just as funny and entertaining (I am talking about the first book, Plugged). Well this book is almost as good. Love it.
on 26 May 2013
Not as good a Eoin's other books. Altough quite entertaining in places, it was quite hard work to read. There was a temptation to skip read some parts to get back to the main plot.
on 17 January 2014
Excellent book , very funny and a great storyline . Having read Plugged I was looking forward to this book enormously and I was not disappointed . Would easily recommend it to all .