Format: Audio Download|Change
Price:£19.25

on 29 December 2011
Its full of inspiring stories and detail, and I totally identify with his mission to create so much more than just business. Its helped me think in different ways about how my business can contribute fully to society and the urgent push towards cleaning up and creating sustainable world.

Also until I read Screw Business I hadn't realised that the Virgin Money Giving site was around and also about two thirds less expensive than the competition, Richard Branson has long been an inspiration to me in business but this new book is just so in tune - I like the way he has turned Virgin's focus to the huge problems we face today. The elders, Virgin Unite, Virgin Green Fund, the carbon war room and the prize for finding a geo-engineering solution to finding a way of extracting carbon from the planet are all detailed in here.
on 16 December 2011
Lets get past the fact the Sir Richard Branson is a very good promotional guy and that selling himself is one thing he does well in this book. I was torn between a 3* and 4* based on the amount of self promotion that goes on in this book. As you can see I plumped for the high rating.

Why! If you can get past the self PR, the message that the book puts over is very real. The message is clear and the concept that business needs to change for the better well put. We need to think less of what we do with profits we make or earn as employees and see that we can create a better society all round. Greed is endemic and rampant and our unfortunately titled 'political leaders' (which ever of the top three you are affiliated or have leanings towards) are more interested in the next vote instead of doing something about the way we live and do business. The same can be said for many business leaders and companies where there is the drive to maximise obscene profits.

But you can see shoots of the new movements for responsible business like Innocent Smoothies, John Lewis and the like. I bet you can come up with your own list. There is a ground swell for more responsible leaders who actually do something for society instead of playing lip service to the idea.

As Bob Dylon wrote 'You're going to have to serve someone, it may be the devil, It may be the Lord, but you're going to have to serve someone'.

Today there is ground swell to serve and support community. Its flegling and new but it is growing. There is a ground swell to serve our society or community.

This book illustrates issues and actions that are happening. If you can get past certain aspects that may grate with certain people. Not everyone likes Mr Branson. The Books pushes a message and Sir Richard knows how to push it loud and clear. That is not a reason to ignore the book. It about how you set your mind to approaching the concepts and ideas he is promoting. I think the mind set to the book depends on whether you can get past all the baggage that comes with Sir Richard Branson. If we wish people with ideas and actions to be perfect then leave this book. If you want and can open your mind and be critical and praising of the ideas and actions depicted in this book. Then give it a read. I liked it.

Maybe some people marked this down because in places the message it gives can be unsettling. It asks us to make changes to our lives. I disagree certain points in the book and agree many others. Have a read, make your own decisions. It is not a book that will offer crystal clear insite or new profound concepts that will rock your world, afterall we all know about the issues. Instead it says this is what we are doing, here are the problems - What are you going to do about changing yourself. That is why it may not get such good ratings because it asks you to challenge your own perceptions. Who do you want to serve - it can't be the existing inefficent business and political setup but you can help change the status quo for the better.
on 13 February 2012
This book gives great insight into what selfless things businesses and individuals are doing around the world to make a real change.
Until i read this book i never realised what efforts the virgin team make to approach things differently and offer help to those who need it most but are sometimes to proud to ask.

The Branson 'haters' (BA staff) may talk this book down and give it bad reviews as they don't like his style - but you cannot deny the points that he raises and how we all need to look at business from a new angle
on 5 March 2012
Having Richard Branson's actively promote `doing good is good for business' can only be a good thing. Not only does he walk his talk now that he has multi millions at his disposal he adopted the same philosophy as a teenager when he set up the student magazine offering help lines and support to students. If every business took a leaf out of his book and adopted the same approach the world would be a better place in a short space of time. I didn't view the stories as self promotion I saw them as real life examples of how you can put `doing good is good for business' into practice, what could be better than to lead by example.
In my opinion this book isn't just for business owners it should be read by everyone on the planet.
on 6 February 2012
For anyone who believes that there is a different way of doing business than the 'short-term maximisation of profits', then this provides the foundation you've been looking for. It is the most 'real' of any books that have been written on the subject. Every economist and politician, not to mention any far-sighted business person should read this book.
on 16 December 2011
Is there anything Richard Branson can't do? Beyond being one of the most successful entrepreneurs of our age, he's also committed to changing the world, in fun and exciting ways. Screw Business as Usual presents a fabulous case for the need of entrepreneurs (and the rest of us!) to be more socially conscious and aware. An enjoyable and uplifting read!
on 13 December 2011
I bought this book in high hopes, believing that there must be more to business than just the bottom line. I wouldn't say I am a big fan of Richard Branson, but clearly the man has achieved wonderful things, and I am ready to dip in to learn from the greats.

Book kicked off ok, then slides into a 372 page promo for Virgin Unite, or least feels like it. Indeed, at the end of each chapter is the Virgin Unite website address, twitter and facebook links.

I am sure the book was written with good intent, and I can see where he is coming from, but Richard Branson is the consumate PR man, and sadly, in this book, he didn't leave that behind.

Sadly, the book is now off to a charity shop in Winchester. I think Richard would approve!
on 18 June 2015
 'Screw Business as Usual' is a compelling read. It's less about the larger-than-life Sir Richard Branson and more about the creation of Virgin Unite. Though I did find the insights into what prompted him to get into philanthropy fascinating. ("There was something missing.")

Over the past decade Virgin Unite has launched a series of high-impact legacy projects - from the Carbon War Room (co-ordinating the fight on carbon emissions) to the Elders (co-ordinating the political agenda on human rights among other things).

So read the book with pen in hand, or expect to highlight your Kindle edition to high heaven. This is a playbook for anyone crafting a leadership legacy of their own. It's riddled with practical advice and insights.

The key takeaways, if you ARE crafting a legacy of your own, include 'think bigger' (but it's OK to start small). And strive for disproportionate impact.

For more reviews and resources on crafting a leadership legacy visit http://leadershiplegacyinstitute.com.

Thanks for watching.

Steven Sonsino, Founder and CEO
Leadership Legacy Institute
on 16 December 2011
I've always respected Richard as one of both the kindest and most successful entrepreneurs we have. He's been one of my most influential mentors and inspirational friends- Screw Business as Usual did not disappoint in either of those categories. In light of our current times, Richard presents a refreshing argument for the need of businesses and entrepreneurs to unite their resources and help change the world, one burgeoning entrepreneur at a time. Yes, business can absolutely be a force for good!
on 6 August 2014
I had thought this book was going to be about business, and help out someone who was trying to start up and make a successful time of it. I am struggling to get through it as so far (75% of the way through) it has mainly been name dropping famous business leaders who have achieved great things, but not really in the same realm that the rest of us occupy.

I think Branson is trying to inspire massive change which is a great thing but I just don't really get the flow of this book and it hasn't really inspired me or given me much insight on how to achieve such change.