on 14 June 2017
a good read
on 13 October 2009
I am a chemist not a horticulturalist but I wanted a book to answer questions about 'how plants work' ie detailed explanations into how plants perform various tasks at the molecular level. It is not a book to read from beginning to end but is good for searching out particular operations. I think the detail was just at the right level for myself. Perhaps some would find the info of help in applying knowlege to gardening but for me it is the theory which is of interest. I think the book title sums up the content extremely well and would recommend the book to anyone interested in science in the garden or with similar interests.
on 4 July 2010
Bought this book after seeing a copy that someone had on the RHS general course that I am doing, well presented the pictures are of a great help really good quality, they really help in getting a clear view of what is being discussed. The script is written is plain english easy to understand with minimum of jargon. A nice book one of those books which can be a pleasure to open even if it is doing the home work.
on 16 August 2010
I wish I had bought this book at the beginning of my 2 year RHS advanced certificate course! But better late than never and I am sure it will be a useful text for Module B.
on 16 April 2009
Updated to new edition because doing RHS Diploma. Not so very different in most sections, but don't regret purchase. It's still not an easy read but loads of good stuff for anyone doing all grades of RHS exams.
on 23 October 2014
Apologies. You may have received a negative response. I thought it had not arrived. My husband then told me it had.
Great book - as expected.
on 5 January 2016
Goes into great detail without being boring.
on 26 February 2013
This book is awesome. It can bring a reader with even basic biology or horticultural understanding up to a sufficient level to comprehend any area of the world of plant sciences.

This book is firmly positioned in the realm of science and seldom refers if at all, to economy, food production systems or environmental burdens of industrial farming etc but it is well written and un-biased to the point that the owner of this book is able to make sound and well informed ananysis of many related topics.

Mine is now full of pencilled notes and has felt like a core reference point for so much. My copy is still on a series of loans to friends doing the same horticulture course and I want it back.