- Paperback: 436 pages
- Publisher: Guilford Press; New Ed edition (7 Dec. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1593853726
- ISBN-13: 978-1593853723
- Product Dimensions: 3.2 x 15.9 x 23.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.7 out of 5 stars See all reviews (20 customer reviews)
Amazon Bestsellers Rank:
44,882 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- #46 in Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- #70 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Clinical Psychology
- #72 in Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Cognition & Cognitive Psychology > The Self, Ego & Personality
- See Complete Table of Contents
Schema Therapy: A Practitioner's Guide Paperback – 7 Dec 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Useful verbatim examples are given for treatment of several types of patients... A very good book, and I highly recommend it to both novice and veteran therapists." - Psychiatric Times
"A rich and highly informative text that outlines the principles of the schema model, schema assessment and evaluation, and all the major components of schema therapy... The richness of the clinical material is enough to give practitioners a basic understanding of how to apply schema therapy... An insightful, innovative, and thorough treatment approach to personality pathology." - Journal of Psychosomatic Research
"This is a superb volume, reflecting many years of astute clinical and theoretical work by very able clinicians... It should appeal to psychotherapy integrationists from many traditions." - Psychotherapy Research
"This volume demonstrates in a skillful, highly readable fashion how the standard cognitive therapy approaches to Axis 1 disorders can be expanded and modified to treat personality disorders... Highly recommended for all therapists engaged in treating patients with these very difficult personality problems." - Aaron T. Beck, University of Pennsylvania, USA
About the Author
Jeffrey E. Young, PhD, Department of Psychiatry, Columbia University, USA; Janet S. Klosko, PhD, private practice, Great Neck, NY, USA; and Marjorie E. Weishaar, PhD, Department of Psychiatry and Human Behavior, Brown University, USA
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The book keeps the reader on the seat, the language and syntax is working well. I liked very much the description of imagery technics and therapeutical relationship with the therapists own schemas, which very covered well in the book. I could find me and my narcissistic patient well on the pages dealing psychotherapy of narcissist personality disorder.
The book integrates beckian, schematherapy and experiential techniques, deals attachement of bowlby, reciprocality of cogn.analalytic therapy and even some counter transference issues.
Its obviously written for therapists, but you can adapt the techniques into self-help techniques
Im not saying it should replace individual therapy, it just helps if you want to DIY schema therapy
What is not clear is the difference between Complex Trauma (or Complex Traumatic Stress Disorder) and Borderline Personailty Disorder. The reader is left wandering whether they are one and the same condition. This results in a sense that perpetrators of abuse couldn't help themselves abuse the client and can walk away with impunity, while the client has to accept and "move on" with life.
Certainly the book is aimed at the practitioner rather than the client. I can't help but wander why there is such a marked difference.Read more ›
Regarding theory is quite a bit stodgy, while I myself find a lot more worthvalue those insights developed by Linehan and Mclean Hospital, whose books are plenty of forms, daily cards and guided practice.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I bought this to help better understand this approach to therapy, based on an Australian friend who is engaged in delivering it in practice. Read morePublished 14 months ago by Joel
very good, helps if you have a background of working in mental health as some complex concepts to negotiate. there is a companion book by same author which I bought- very good tooPublished 15 months ago by M. J. Feighan
Excellent tome and an asset to all professionals and practitioners.Published 16 months ago by MICHAEL MEEK
An excellent guide in teaching the rationale of schema therapy, providing, also, a great explanation of how to apply the techniques. Read morePublished on 8 Jun. 2014 by Nuno
This book is heavy reading and only really useful if you're going to practice Schema therapy in your daily practice. Read morePublished on 17 May 2014 by s
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > The Self, Ego & Personality
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Neurology
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Psychology Textbooks