on 14 May 2017
Not as terrible as everyone says but still doesnt come close as the original books. I only bought this book just to see if the new artwork really is that bad. Good news is that the new artwork is unique and effective sometimes. However, it doesnt nearly have enough impact as the previous drawings did. By removing the old drawings the books feel incomplete and less scary. Overall I would only recommend this to someone if they can find it for dirt cheap like I did.
on 28 November 2015
Very creepy - the illustrations really set the stories off nicely.
on 17 October 2003
During a recent Cub Scout campout, I realized that I needed to expand my stock of scary stories. I checked this book out, and it is just perfect! These 29 (if I counted correctly) stories run from the funny to the downright frightening. As an added bonus, one of these 29 is actually a song (The Hearse Song), and one is an activity (The Dead Man's Brains).
This is a great book, with a lot of really nifty stories. If you want some scary stories for younger listeners, then I highly recommend that you get this book!
on 6 February 2014
i brought this book for my son,hes only 8 but he loves all this stuff,after i found out when he nicked my book on scary stuff(vampires ,demons and the like!!)and he absolutely loved it,he even started reading it in bed!!where i probably wouldnt!!!!!!!!but loved it,im going to nick this now!
on 14 October 2003
I waited ages for my books to arrive! and it was well worth the wait it had all the old stories I used tell as a kid and some new ones. It is not very scary but I think it is worth a read if you ever have some spare time.
on 5 May 2016
This is the one to buy. Stephen Gammell talent for illustrating the scariest pictures you will ever seen is unsurpassable, especially by someone as uncreative as Brett Helquist. Helquist is a great artist, but he lacks the artistic impulse of Gammell and he certainly has less of a grasp of the psychology or what it means, or takes, to scare someone. Helquist has a tendency to depict 'scenes' that are happening on the page, whilst Gammell, almost always places you, the reader, as the would-be victim. The unwilling focus of a strangled-to-death girl, of shadowy figures in the mist. Helquist also likes to be overt, and interpret to a frustrating extent. The amount of detail in his illustrations strips them of their affect. Gammell has an almost minimalist approach, forcing you to enter the darkest and most demented recesses of your own mind to fill in the gaps, to finish the story. You never feel in danger looking at Helquist's drawings, ever.

Don't buy the re-release of the book, buy this one, the original.
on 13 November 1998
This was my favorite book all through 4th, 5th and 6th grades. I would borrow it from the library at the beginning of the year and renew it until the end of the year. It contains some of the best ghost stories EVER. It's a great read on a rainy day, a stormy night or on Halloween. Now that I am in college, I find that my friends had this book as well and LOVED it. I can't wait until my own copy comes in and I can share it with my friends and someday my children.
on 17 July 1998
I am now 20-years old, and over the weekend I enjoyed a bonfire with family. Everyone wanted to hear a scary story, but no one could remember any good ones. I immediately thought of this book, and regret not still having it.
Moms, dads, kids, librarians! THIS IS THE BEST BOOK for anyone who likes an ORIGINAL, old-fashioned scary story to tell in the dark!
When I was around ten-years old, every single time I went to the library I would look for Schwartz's name in the card catlaog.
Please, please delight your kid(s) with the best scary stories ever!!
Seeing the illustrations alone could creep anyone out.
I know it sounds like I'm really trying to sell this book, but TRUST ME, I'm not related to or friends with anyone that makes money off this book. I just want kids everywhere to have the same fond and freaky memories!
on 14 July 2016
Fantastic book, my little sister (with an interest in spooky happenings) cannot set the book down! Every time I read it to her I always get a jump, it's a spooky but completely child-appropriate book with very good illustrations.
on 4 July 1999
This is certainly one of the best book-fair purchases I even made in grade school. It's one of the few books I still have from those days, at least :)
It contains an eclectic collection of old and new folk tales ranging from the disturbing to the scary to the silly. The illustrations do a wonderful job of capturing the mood and essence of the stories.
I liked the stories and illustrations so much, I got them tattooed on my arm :)