Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 March 2013
This is an excellent product and is ideal for somebody who wants to own all volumes (1-10) in the Sadman series. There are other ways of collecting the books, some come with considerably more 'collector' materials, but these are simple, high quality, paperbacks inside a really nice slipcase.

The price is perhaps the strongest feature of this product specifically. To buy each of these volumes separately in any bookshop will currently cost you beween £15 and £20. The price I paid for this boxset means each book was less than £10.

If you just want the main story of The Sandman and aren't fussed by hardback covers or extra "behind the scenes" materials, then this is probably the best option for you.
on 16 January 2016
Complete set of 75 Sandman comics in 10 books all in a nice slipcase and all for £75. If you want to read all the Sandman graphic novels, this is a good way to do it. The trade paperbacks are slim and easy to hold, the colour and detail are of a high quality, even the slipcase is really well made. If you want the very best of Sandman and with extras, go for the Absolute Edition which comes in 4 beautiful hardback books costing £40+ each. After reading the slipcase set I enjoyed it so much I decided to buy the Absolute set as well - no regrets.
review image review image review image review image
on 28 December 2012
Gorgeously remastered and recoloured. Beautiful slipcase. Fans will not be disappointed. Lives up to expectations. 10 out of 10 for Sandman
on 28 March 2015
Sandman is one of the best graphic tales full stop, so I'm going to comment on the specific edition.
The paper is good quality, the print good and the box is ok.

There is some extra content in each volume in the form of introductions by people not involved in the comic's creation (gene wolfe, clive barker etc) which are enjoyable. It's also good value for the money.

The cardboard slipcase is nice, the paper feels of good quality and the printing is crisp.

My only gripe is that the drawings tend to cover the whole page (i.e. no margin) and since the booklets cannot be open flat without breaking them some of the text and art is very hard to see.

I am not used to american paperback comics though, so that might just be a general issue with them.
on 30 September 2013
A great way to get this series in one big gulp. Getting the books out of the slipcase can be a little tough but it will keep them squished nice and flat. The 10 trades that make up the series are good quality. There are a couple of volumes to add to this for the real completist, Sandman: Endless Nights and Sandman: The Dream Hunters. But these aren't part of the original run.

It's a decent size investment, but still way cheaper than collecting the 10 individual books, I would recommend to anyone interested in this series.
on 14 July 2013
Nice paper quality, short and often interesting introductions, a good way to get hold of the complete Sandman.

The only problem is that the paper size is slightly too small, and it is sometimes hard to see the text/drawings close to the binding.
on 9 March 2013
Fantastic. Especially vol.4. Quality of paper is great, as is colour, binding, etc. The case is nice and tight, will keep the comics in good shape.
Well worth paying for.
If you are into comics, this is the bee's knees. If you aren't into comics, read this: you will be.
on 13 February 2013
Neil Gaiman's Sandman series is now acknowledged as a leading piece of "comic book" writing and helped changed the perception of the medium in a way few others have managed. The author himself has now gone on to achieve international bestselling fame as a novelist, television scriptwriter and influential Tweeter. I shan't attempt to review the writing itself as there is already huge amounts of information and reviews available both online and in print. (I particularly recommend Sandman Companion and Leslie Klinger's scholarly Sandman - Annotated (Vol. 1) &Annotated Sandman Volume 2 HC (Sandman Annotated))
If you're looking at buying this product then it's almost a given that you are interested and will enjoy it, or you wouldn't be considering the "deep end" of buying the entire run in one go!
So, all ten trade paperback Sandman stories in one slipcase box. Perfect? Almost. Even at the Amazon list price you would be hard pushed to obtain the whole set of ten on their own for less than the price of this boxed set - and I recommend checking the Marketplace for further savings on brand new copies that can bring the cost down to under £9 per book! This is a saving not to be overlooked. The slipcase is lovely, strong and of good overall quality and the set is VERY heavy - which gives a real feel of quality when you handle it.
Why only 4 stars then?
While these books use the remastered colourings from the high-end "Absolute" editions and do look gorgeous as a result, the paper used seems very thin and the covers especially seem to curl back disappointingly even after one read. I am notoriously fussy in how I handle my books, taking great care in how I grip the spines and hold them. (My brother mockingly asks if I use white cotton gloves when handling my most precious titles!) Despite this, each of these trade paperbacks has a cover that curls back when left flat after being read. A shame in my opinion when everything else about the set is so perfect - and enough to rob the set of its fifth star. Hopefully being pressed together in the slipcase box will press the pages flat again!
on 12 January 2013
Over the year's I've dipped into the Sandman universe by buying a book here and a book there but I've never tried to complete the series. However when I stumbled across this set I realised that I just had to have it; it's mere existence rekindled a desire in me to revisit the world of dream. I'm so glad that I gave into my desire since the books are as fantastic as ever while the packaging is solid and worthy. Great stuff.
on 20 September 2015
For me, this is the best and cheapest option if you want to have the 75 issues of The Sandman series. The fact that the 10 arcs are collected in 10 separated trade paperbacks makes the reading much easier than having half the series in just one big book. Also, the box is pretty sturdy and very beautiful. I knew I would like the slipcase when I bought it, but when I opened Amazon's package I was simply amazed.