on 15 June 2012
This laptop is boring in a the best way possible. By that i mean everything just works. The first computer i have ever had where i did not wind up having to reconfigure everything. No excitement to find the right driver, no reinstalling the OS, no random hardware failure, it just does exactly what it says on the tin.

A few points for the prospective buyer: the screen is great you can use it in broad sunlight comfortably. The battery lasts 4-5 hours when working, 3 hours with multimedia. 1.8 kg is surprisingly heavy, if i bought it again i would take the 13" screen version which is considerably lighter. The option to upgrade to SSD at a later stage easily was also key to choosing samsung. Although many reviews on the internet rate this machine as pretty average, the price when considering cash back is sooo much lower than the competition, taking the samsung was ultimately a no-brainer!

NB if you are an ubuntu user careful: the laptop is not compatible with wubi (the windows installer version).

Amazon took a while to deliver it, wasn't happy about that. Ordered on Friday with next business day delivery and got it Tuesday.
on 29 July 2012
I could have gone for some other brands like ASUS, MAC, Toshiba, acer etc, but the specs and VAT back promotion lured me.
Best abt this ultrabook are the specs in budget price. USB 3.0, 14" 300 nit display with Media drive, touch pad are just to talk few.
I prefer windows rather than MAC, because I have to do many day to day work and MAC is not that friendly compared to windows and i can find only 30% software for MAC compared with Windows.
The reason to buy this:
2 X 3.0 USB port
media drive
300 nit HD display
chicky keyboard
MP webcam,
power connector at side (Now don't have to fold the lid every time I have to connect power supply )
ports on side (Again, no need to fold the lid to plug in USB, LAN etc. )
huge HDD + 16 GB SSD (fast booting)
combo port for mic and headphone(speaker)
built design and colour
light weight

the only disappointment for me was
It didn't came with touch pad driver installed.
Don't forget to download your mouse driver(win 7 X64) for touch pad before to complain or to take to technician.
You will also notice that battery will be charged only up to 80% and won't go up to 100%. This is purely intentional and not the fault in the system.
If you want it to go upto 100%, download battery extender form Samsung site.
on 31 March 2013
I was looking for a thin and lightweight laptop , something that was more than a tablet and was easy to carry while travelling. I have previously owned Lenovo and Sony Vaio laptops and although they were very good in performance , their weight was an issue while travelling by air as it limited my allowance of carrying on luggage . I wanted something that could do as much as the conventional laptop but was thin and light weight. I shopped around and did a lot of research . I read reviews on many makes and models and eventually decided to go for Samsung . I was pleasantly surprised to find how good it was. It is very thin, light weight , Core i5 processor ( fast enough for me ) and above all it is the only ultra book that has built in optic drive , something very important for me. It is very good value for money. Other ultrabooks with same specifications , including Sony, Lenovo , Fujitsu etc are dearer and none has built in optic drive which I think most people need and will have to buy separately adding to cost . Samsung have done it , I therefore recommend this product , I am sure you won't be disappointed. Well done Samsung.
on 11 November 2012
I have been looking for a laptop for my son but didn't want anything as large as 15.6". I myself have a HP Pavillion 13.3" I bought a year ago that is perfect for when I travel, I spent a long time looking for the right hardware at a good price and after much searching found this model. It looks very nice, is quick to use (due to the hybrid SSD/HDD) and has very good battery life.
on 11 February 2013
It is stylish, and light enough to be easily moved around. It also has a very comfortable keyboard, although the touch pad needs more pressure than usual, and does jump around a little bit. This is the end of pros for this device.

I bought it in July, not even a year ago. Have not really used it for any demanding computation or functions. It was mainly web browsing, watching movies, reading pdf, and some microsoft office works. The performance was not great from day 1; hangs all the time and has a very low speed of processing. You open more than 8 tabs in google chrome, and it stops functioning. You have to restart! And, yes, I had my antivirus active on it, and I tried disk defragmentation, and also a few commercial utility managers, computer clean ups, etc. The funny part is that, it says 'Core i5 with 4GB RAM'!! My 6 year old VAIO is processing much faster than this.

When it got that bad, that I literally had to re-start every 5 minutes (yes, every 5 minutes), I decided to re-install my windows. There is a DVD in the package, but apparently, it is only windows itself, and none of the drivers are included (I guess). So I ended up having a new windows, with none of the drivers installed for graphic card, wi-fi connection, etc. It is even more useless now.

Since I am still whithin the 1-year guarantee duration, I tried to contact sumsung help and support center. Their website is designed for the utmost inefficiency when it comes to support. I found no address in the whole website. There is an email section, which opens up, and then you need to choose your device in several steps. At the final step, I realised that this model number simply does not exist on their list! Then they have a phone number, which I tried twice, at two different days. Each time, I listened to music playing for 15 minutes, and no one answered! Sounds like a dead-end, I know. My next try would be to go to a retailer and ask for a sumsung service center's address in Dublin!
on 25 April 2012
Bought the Samsung Series 5 Ultrabook 14in a few days ago - as usual great Amazon service & delivery. Had to install Windows XP on it in order to use all my existing software (want to wait for Windows 8 to update everything). I found all drivers & software on the Samsung website - no problems. So far I am very happy with the machine! Amazing size, weight and speed... and I love the simplicity of the design. Backlit keyboard would have been nice, but hey, getting the VAT back with the currrent Samsung offer makes up for it!
Love it.
on 9 October 2012
Although I accept that to the purist the laptop maye doesn't fulfil the strick definition of an Ultrabook, for me it comes close enough and I am happy to accept that it is slightly thicker, but still quite slim, for the benefit of having a CD/DVD drive. It does everything I expected of it and the fast boot really pleased me aftet my old Sony which was taking an eternity. I would recommend this model to anyone who wants a near Ultrabook with a good size (14in.) screen and a CD/DVD drive at a very competitive price.Samsung Series 5 530U4B 14 inch Ultrabook (Intel Core i5 2467M 1.6GHz, 4Gb RAM, 500GB HDD, 16Gb SSD, DVD-SM DL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit)
on 26 January 2013
Excellent computer, hard to really fault it. Graphics are good not great, start up fast, solid build and has everything I need in it. I would certainly recommend it, as I use it only for my work and not a full time computer.
on 6 October 2012
yet again the dvd drive refuses to play a dvd, it looks like samsung have skimped a bit on a quality optical drive. Fed up you would be as well as not having this drive and purchasing the cheaper option without it..

Fed Up
on 2 January 2015
Had this laptop for two years now and its great! quick to load, quick whilst using, good battery life etc. highly recommend