This is my second Samsung phone (I upgraded from a Galaxy S2) and I am very pleased with my purchase. Clearly, there are phones which are larger and/or more powerful. For me, however, I thought this was a great combination of a medium-sized phone that fits my hand comfortably and excellent (but not amazing) performance.

PROS
* The first thing I noticed was how fast apps run on this phone and how quickly I can transition from one app to another one. Having upgraded from the often sluggish S2, I am very pleased with the speediness of the S4.
* The phone has a microSD slot so that I could put in my 32GB card with all of the videos and music that I like to have with me. Many mid-priced to cheaper phones do not provide a microSD card slot, which to me is a waste of time.
* For me, this is the perfect size of phone. The screen is larger than the iPhone 4 or 5; the screen size is the same as the Galaxy S2 but the body is smaller than the Galaxy S2
* The screen is clear and bright
* The camera takes excellent quality photos outdoors. In fact, to reduce the amount of memory that each photo takes up, I have reduced the camera quality slightly.

CONS
There's nothing that I am unhappy with. However, some things which you might consider:
* Do you want a larger screen? Most top-end phones have significantly larger screens. I wanted something that fit my small to mid-sized hand so this works for me. If you have thick fingers, you might plump for a larger screen on which it is easier to type
* Do you want the fastest performance? This is NOT a quad core phone so if you are looking to play games which rely on lots of screen animation, this may not be the phone for you.

OVERALL
A very good phone for those who in particular want a mid-sized phone.
11 Comment| 94 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Although the S4 Mini is called 'mini' this is actually what most people would consider a normal sized phone, it sits well in the hand, has a good screen size and is very light. Some might find it a little too light, preferring a bit of weight to give a more premium feel.

Samsung have insisted on sticking with the plastic design found on all of the phones they make which will divide opinion, some will not be at all concerned with it, and on the smaller S4 Mini it's not as cheap feeling as the full sized S4, others will dislike it if they've used other manufacturers phones (such as the HTC One Mini) that have a more expensive finish to them.

The S4 Mini has a duel core processor and has a good looking and responsive screen which means the interface is nice and snappy and it has no problems running games, with Asphalt 8: Airborne running really smoothly and without any lag.

Surprisingly Samsung have done away with the notification light found on most Android phones, in the long run you'll get use to it not being there but it does take a bit of getting use to, especially when you want to check with a quick glance if the phone has finished charging.

The camera is OK, nothing amazing, it's fine for when you're out and about but it wouldn't be good enough to replace a dedicated camera.

Battery life is very good, you should easily be able to get through the day no problem. The battery is removable so if you want to carry a spare you can do. There is a lot to like about the S4 Mini, but if you're not sure if this is the phone for you I'd recommend checking out the alternatives: HTC One Mini Sim Free Smartphone - Silver and the Moto G 8GB Sim Free Smartphone - Black.
55 Comments| 201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2016
I purchased this as a Christmas gift for my son after a mishap with the washing machine and his S4 and it's an excellent wee phone. The battery life is great and it does everything he has required of it so far. It's nice and fast and it runs all the astronomy apps that he uses, which can be quite intensive, smoothly with ease. The camera is great, he's even managed to take some great pics through his telescope with it. The set up was easy, no technical problems at all, we just stuck his sim card in and off he went. I wasn't sure of the size with it being a mini, especially after him being used to the S4 but I have to say that I really like the size of it and I'm tempted to go for a mini myself when it's time to upgrade.
on 24 May 2017
This is the second Samsung phone that I have purchased. The first one, a Samsung S3 mini was purchased in Feb 2014. This phone died completely in May 2015 (outside the 1 year warranty). I then replaced it with the Samsung S4 mini. This has now died in exactly the same way as the S3, though I did get nearly two years out of it. This is why I have given it a low score, and I will not be buying another Samsung.
In other respects there was nothing that bad about the phone, thought the battery life and reception were both poor.
on 5 March 2017
a good phone no complaints
on 17 March 2016
good
on 4 May 2014
I was once a huge fan of Android, before moving away to the world of Windows Phone and in all honesty, I absolutely loved Windows Phone. However, I found it lacking alot of the features of Android so after only a year, I moved back and the £250 S4 Mini appeared to be the perfect choice for a user of my kind.

Alot of the alternatives I studied were absolutely huge, at 5"+ I found the size to be too big to comfortably carry around in one's pocket and the S4 mini appeared to the perfect size and it absolutely is. It's compact enough to be used in one hand and easily carried about, but that doesn't mean screen functionality is compromise and it's worth remembering that the screen is still slightly bigger than the flagship Apple phone, iPhone 5S.

At a smaller size and cheaper prise, the specs have been compromised slightly, but nothing too drastically. With 1.5GB ram, the phone is still completely fantastic for a power user like myself.

I can't recommend the S4 mini enough as a great alternative to some of the much bigger and flashy smartphones. Great job Samsung, I think you've just kick started my love affair with Android once again!
on 17 March 2014
If you need a phone and you don't want something the size of a small tablet, this could be the phone for you. Easy to set up (even I could do it without help!). The Samsung menus are easy on the eye and very intuitive and the build quality is very good as, we have come to expect from Samsung. If you leave everything switched on the battery will get you through the day but turning off any unused functions improves the battery life considerably. Pictures taken with the camera seem bright and clear.
The phone is unlocked and there were no problems with it working on my network (Tesco Mobile) and buying the phone sim free allowed me to find the best sim only deals.
The phone arrived on time and intact with a standard UK charger and a half decent set of inner-ear, noise cancelling headphones in the box. So much better than the ones supplied with other fruit based alternatives. The only issue I had was that the boxed phone was only in a Jiffy Bag which I thought wasn't sufficient protection for an item that is worth over £250 in todays postal system. You will need to acquire a microSD card to expand the memory (that's something else you can't do with the Iphone) although the phone itself has enough to get started.
All in all the S4 mini is hard to fault. A very good mid range phone with stunning looks and easy use.
on 3 August 2013
I upgraded from a Samsung S2 to this. Do not be fooled into thinking just because this phone is called a mini it is inferior to its bigger brother the S4. Yes there are a few features missing but it more than makes up for it for the features that are included.
Like the S4 it has smart screen features and also has S Translator which can come in handy.
The screen is very sharp and the clarity when viewing photos is superb. When you use the Facebook app again it is crystal clear.
You can even personalize this phone to suit your every need such as font size, font style, screen lay out. You can even mute the phone just by covering it with your hand which is a great feature.
For a phone that is supposed to be a mini it certainly lives up to much more than that. I am very pleased with this phone so far and have only had it two days.
If there is one criticism then it must be when you use your phone for web browsing then you do have to zoom in to read text, but I had to do this on my S2 as well.
I am a male and I have average size hands but the size of the phone does not pose a problem to me either
I fully recommend this phone for anyone who can not afford the full S4, you will not be disappointed. I have it in white and it makes a change from having a phone in black and looks quite sharp and sleek in the white too.
I hope my review helps you in choosing the right phone. Thanks for reading.
1010 Comments| 296 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2015
Neat little phone with all the features I wanted, plus some I'll probably never use! The main camera is excellent quality, has a LED flash, an idiot proof auto setting plus a whole bunch of tweeks for the amateur photographer. The anti-shake function works well for me as at age 70 my hands aren't that steady. The second, front-facing camera makes self videos a doddle. I loaded all my favourite albums onto the memory card and it even plays the music videos that wouldn't play on my old phone and when the device is turned sideways the image rotates into widescreen view. The FM radio is sensitive and crystal clear, but only works with head or ear phones plugged in as the lead acts as the aerial. Reading e-books is comfortable: I downloaded a Bible app from Google Play with a couple of versions of the Bible. It all works really smoothly - any passage can be found by name, chapter and verse, words or phrases can be searched (as with a concordance) and favourite bits can be highlighted in different colours. With the UK NIV version you also have David Suchet reading the selected passage. Of course it also has GPS with Google maps. Security-wise, the phone can be set to 'none' with just a screen swipe to wake it up; or PIN or pattern recognition; or face or face plus voice recognition with PIN as backup. I found that face recognition with PIN backup works best for me. The only con I've found is that the battery life isn't fantastic - if you do a fair bit of surfing or reading, you'll probably have to put it on charge every night. It's the screen that uses a lot of power, but it can be set to go off with a quick press of the power button, and it can be set to go off when playing music too. All in all an excellent small sized smart phone.