on 3 February 2011
This is a pretty decent HDD, but is marred by one issue...

Pros-

*Quiet.
*Runs quite cool.
*Good value for money.

Cons-

There is only really one con to this drive, and that is that older versions shipped with a faulty firmware. This meant that if the S.M.A.R.T. "Identify device" command was issued while data was being written to the drive, a loss of data occurred. As Samsung failed to change the version number on the new firmware that they released, it is impossible to tell which version you have. I have e-mailed Samsung, and they assure me that any drives with a build date after 11-2010 will have the new firmware pre-installed, which mine did.

As all 3 drives I ordered were built on 12-2010, I think Amazon may have cleared their old stock, so you will probably be ok with buying one.

Other than this issue, the drive is excellent.
66 Comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 15 March 2012
Samsung hard drives have, for some time, been broadly regarded by the trade as highly reliable and are the preferred choice for many of the mainstream PC manufacturers. They have also been my preferred brand of hard drive and I have had several 3.5 inch internal drives and a variety of external drives, both 2.5 and 3.5-inch formats, sold by Samsung and third-parties including LaCie and others. To date, I have only had a single Samsung HDD failure and that was some years ago and caused by a faulty case in which it was mounted - its electronics burned out and took the HDD along with it.

This drive had first been mounted in an anonymous OEM case which had only recently suffered PSU failure and was subsequently remounted into another without the HDD suffering any ill-effects. It is not uncommon for these OEM cases to fail as they are often cheaply made with poor components, but some use non-standard PSU connectors without available alternatives.

The drive is completely silent in use and was reasonably fast when first mounted in a eSATA/USB 2.0 case but I have since opted for a USB 3.0 enclosure and the speed now is noticeably faster than before, less so on writing but far more when reading. I would think that the drive is now working at or very near to its peak capability. The case does not have a fan but two sets of ventilation slots at the rear which suffice to keep it cool even when the drive is used for lengthy periods.

From my experience, the drive has been completely reliable and I cannot comment on the many negative reviews seen here. I would recommend it for normal use. However, being a 'Green' drive, it is not suited for RAID use as with all such labelled drives they power down when not actively in use and this may cause data corruption to one or more files or to the entire drive.
VINE VOICEon 29 April 2012
Bought two of these drives (before the price hike) and they have been performing perfectly ever since. They are quiet, never get more than warm and transfer files seemingly too quickly (I have to copy files again to make sure all data has been transferred. It always has).
Three year warranty is a good safety net, many other hard drive company's have dropped their warranty to one year now.
I will be buying a further two of these to put in a HP Proliant server, so two pairs mirrored for data redundancy. Don't forget to backup your data, people!!!

Currently, my PC has 2 x 2TB, 1 x 1TB and 1 x 500GB drives, all Samsung.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 March 2015
perfect product.
on 15 February 2011
I am aware of the 4k sector issue. The drive was partitioned with fdisk and formatted with mkntfs. The 1st sector is aligned to 64k. Even with this i find the performance bad. Incidentally Gparted would not align this drive at 64K, it's the most recent boot disk version. Don't know why.
I took a chance on this drive knowing its only 5400k rpm and an 'eco' drive. However the power saved by such a drive will be completely negated by the time spent copying stuff to it.
As a back-up drive with infrequent writes, it will suffice, but I wish i had went for a more expensive faster version!
Don't get me wrong, a 2TB drive for the price, it's hard to complain. But when I was up doing an all-nighter, waiting for files to copy to the drive I cursed myself for not getting a performance drive instead.
Just my 2p worth.
on 8 January 2011
As has been said in other reviews, this drive is great value for money. Not just for its capacity but also because despite being a 5400rpm drive its read/write performance is up there with that of many 7200rpm drives. Access times aren't as fast as a 7200rpm drive though so it's not best suited to being a boot drive. For a fast, big and cheap storage drive though this is very hard to beat.

HOWEVER, after buying I found out that the firmware on this drive is faulty. Apparently in certain situations data loss can occur. Samsung has issued an updated firmware on their website though. I don't think I can put URL's here so google is your friend. You'll need to create a bootable DOS CD/USB drive and boot from that in order to update the firmware.

If your comfortable with that kinda thing then this is still a great buy. If not perhaps go with one of the other 'Green' 2tb drives available.

Would have been 5 stars easily but taking one off for the buggy firmware.
on 2 March 2011
After placing my order I read the comments from various people regarding the state of the hard-drive packaging, most of which was not great. The good news is it seems that Amazon has listened to those comments and put things right.

I ordered 4 Samsung 2Tb hard disks, the items were delivered in one box which was the correct size for the goods. As for the disks they were individually packaged in strong corrugated cardboard boxes with two layers of protective foam (each around 1 inch thick) below and above the disk, the disks were also contained in their usual anti-static plastic "egg boxes". The boxes hold the disks securely and there is little movement, there was also no signs of damage to any of the packaging both external and internal.

To sum up, if Amazon can maintain the standard of packaging they provided to me I would have no problems recommending them!
44 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 August 2011
I ordered 2 of Samsung F4 EcoGreen 2TB 32MB 5400RPM 3.5 Inch SATA-II Internal Hard Drive - 3 Year Warranty - OEM and was hoping they were not grey imports as Samsung will not honour the warranty, only the reseller (Amazon) can honour the warranty. After checking various on-line forums before purchase, all stating /Z4 means either grey imports or refurbished.
To my surprise both drives I received were grey imports with /Z4 after the model number (HD204UI/Z4). I tried to update the firmware and tried to run diagnostics with Samsung EStool, drives were not recognised, both were dead on arrival. Returning them for a refund.
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 December 2010
Over the last 2 years, I've become a bit of a fan of Samsung hard drives, to the point now if I need a drive, I go straight to Samsung. This particular drive is sitting in a new HTPC build and it's quiet, fast enough and as big a drive as you'll get for the money.
on 12 June 2012
These drives have rave reviews, hence the reason why i ordered them. One of the reasons i ordered this drive was because it states a 3 year warranty. I thought this may be old stock because samsung hard drives were bought out by seagate at the end of last year, and warranties were reduced to 1 year.

Just to confirm that this drive comes with 1 year warranty, NOT the 3 years as stated in the title/description.

Hope this helps others who are thinking of buying....