I have tried several Windows tablets over the years and all of them have had at least one major flaw, they were under-powered! All of them have needed some serious tweaking of the system settings in order to perform at an acceptable speed and this often meant reducing system settings or limiting the number of applications running.

Samsung have got it right here. Powered by a second generation Intel Core i5 processor there is no compromise on speed and Windows on a tablet has become a pleasure to use. I have also installed the Windows 8 pre-release version to try it and this is truly amazing to use.

The tablet hardware is also surprisingly good. It is well put together and looks fantastic. It;s also thin and runs quiet. Some reviews have complained about fan noise but I have not noticed this to be a problem.

The battery life is adequate proving an average of 4-5 hours and the included accessories (desktop dock, bluetooth keyboard and stylus) are a nice extra. I have also purchased the optional Samsung Stand Case which is lovely.

This is now my go to couch browser and it's great to have a tablet that is not restricted in terms of software it can run.

Samsung has also added a custom overlay which provides some touch friendly applications. Its actually not bad but also not really needed as Windows 7 is perfectly usable in its standard format.

Now that the price has significantly fallen for this great bundle its worth a punt. Just be aware that Windows 8 is due for release later this year along with a flood of new tablets so unless you really need a Windows tablet right now or you are a gadget lover like me it might be wise to wait another 4-5 months.
on 18 July 2012
So I've been holding off the temptation for a while, knowing that Windows 8 slates are coming. However after the price drop it seamed rude not too! Under £700 for this is a great price. Make sure that you upgrade to the Windows 8 Beta though.

Finally I wasn't sure that it would come with the keyboard, dock and pen. If it didn't I would have sent it back. However very happily surprised when it came through with all the bits with it.

I'll be keeping track of how it goes at[...]
on 26 September 2012
Before I talk about the product, I like to stress out how wonderful Amazon's swap out service is. The initial tablet I have ordered had a dead pixel, contacted Amazon and a replacement was sent out immediately. I received the replacement on the same day that I posted the faulty one back, so I was not without the tablet even for a day, unlike most of other companies that I have dealt with in the past.

Anyway, about the product. I bought this when the price was a lot lower at £599 plus £100 cashback from Samsung, considering the spec, it's amazing for the price, but now it's back to the usual price and with the Windows surface tablets just round the corner, I would advise to wait and see what the next Windows tablets have to offer in terms of spec and money wise.

When I first received the tablet, I didn't even bothered with the Windows 7 that came with it as Win7 is known not to be friendly with touch tablets, so I have installed the RTM of Windows 8 onto this tablet (to get to the BIOS screen, reboot the tablet and hold down the Windows button on the tablet, the use the combinations of the screen lock and the volume keys to change/navigate the BIOS options so that you can boot from a USB key for the Windows 8 install). The tablet is highly responsive with the i5 duo core hyperthreading cpu, everything is superslick, even with handwriting recognition, no lag or delay when writing directly on the tablet.

The tablet does come with the stand and BT keyboard as the description is not very clear. The BT keyboard seems to lose the pairing with the tablet if not used frequently, i.e over a few days, and re-pairing can sometimes be hit and missed.

This is definitely a weighty device and difficult to hold with 1 hand (note I said hand!), not exactly easy to hold single handed to read. I have an Asus Transformer as my other tablet, that is way easier to carry around. I have bought the overly priced Samsung hard case for this as I want to protect this beauty. Battery life definitely last between 4-5 hours, and that's while playing music and have constant brightness at around 80% (didn't like the auto dimming).

Overall, nice device for the price that I have paid for. Sorry for any spelling mistake as I am touch typing using this tablet :)
on 8 August 2012
Just bought one of these as shopping around you can get one of these just under £700 and seeing as my iPad 64gig was about same price, this seemed like a good deal for a windows tablet that is quick and able to take and write notes with a stylus that the iPad cant match with a finger or one of those rubber tipped stylus you can get for iPad. But sadly this is a great device totally let down by poor build quality and for even the price it is now , there is no excuse for no quality control on these products. First time I powered my Samsung series 7 slate , it had a bright white stuck pixel on screen, which after a few boots is now just a dead pixel. Also a fault that was supposed to be cured with these is still there on mine, the touch screen is lifting from the top left hand corner. Also when connecting a hdmi cable from the micro hdmi slot on left hand side a few times the video has gone totally fuzzy and negative and I had to power device off and on again, I am running the latest firmware and not sure if its a firmware problem or yet another fault. I would advise others who buy these to closely check the touch screen and make sure its seated and also check for dead or stuck pixels. I am very disappointed in the build quality of this device, and although its much more powerful than my ipad2 it cant touch Apple on build quality. Hopefully later in the year other makers will bring out some Windows 8 tablets that have better build quality than this Samsung tablet. Even at the new lower price it is now, Samsung has no excuse for the lack of QA testing before they are boxed.
on 11 March 2012
This is a very quick tablet, It works very well with windows 8 starting up in 7 seconds from cold. Battery life is very good at 5 hrs, touch screen and pen are fantastic. Only issue is build quality as it is only glued together so can feel plasticky (and the weight and price compared to the iPad).
on 16 April 2013
I love it. Only problem is that it does not really come with a good case. Even the overpriced official case provided by samsung is pretty rubbish. But the slate itself is amazing!!!
on 31 January 2013
Given that I was able to get it for a record deal, this is a great tablet. I upgraded it to Windows 8 and it does everything I need.