Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2001
This book is clearly written and certainly goes to the level of detail that I am looking for to produce my pl/sql packages. It tells me what I need to know in a well-ordered fashion.
on 29 July 2001
This book is credited to two authors; Jonathan Gennick and Tom Lueurs. In fact there are a couple of other contributors. The chapters written by Jonathan Gennick are good, in fact really good. There are lots of clear code examples and exercises for you to do. Unfortunately, the chapters written by Tom Lueurs are pretty poor. Loads of little code snippets with the middle missing which are only suitable for people who know what is happening in the missing code and loads of bad jokes to keep the readers mind off the subject to hand. The sequencing of the chapters is also apparently out of sync. There are several references to chapters which are not yet covered. It would appear as if the book was resequnced at some stage before publication. All in all, I wish Mr Gennick had written the book on his own.
on 23 March 2001
I started using the previous edition of this book in June 1999. It is excellent for begiiners and intermediate users. Lots of good and carefully explained examples to follow. I consider myself as an experienced PLSQL developer but I still refer to this book.
on 7 March 2002
I agree entirely re the merits of chapters by Gennick versus the shortcommings of those by Luers.. I've noticed more errors and confusing if not contraditory statements in your chapters than in Jon's.
The book is dammed good for a bloke like me who has been given the "sink or swim" introduction to a project and the "no budget" answer for a course.
But the errors/confusion is serious when you have limited time available to pick up a new skill.