Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£16.99

on 7 February 2016
This edition needs updating. I heard great things about the book and in general it helps the reader get to grips with some of the concepts of how Drupal differs from its competitors. However, it focuses on Drupal 6 mainly with a nod to Drupal 7. I installed Drupal 8 which is now the main version with Drupal 7 being supported. So many of the examples have been superseded and you have to do a lot of work to figure out how to do things. Plus many of the administration menus have changed drastically.

I would recommend that you not buy this edition but wait for an updated edition. The information is just too outdated to be helpful. I paid the full price and feel that I have been misled somewhat.

Having said that, as a guide for thinking about your projects and Drupal in general, as well as demonstrating some of the features with real examples, it is generally useful. But be prepared to do some extra work and to skip over some parts which are now ancient history or irrelevant.
on 16 September 2010
I liked:
- Good general points on planning a Drupal project.
- The chapters follow a nice logical progression.
- Covers Drupal 7.

Disliked:
- The screenshots are too small. Perhaps these could be made available separately online?

A very good introductory text that will get you up to speed quickly.
on 7 June 2010
Well put together, with enough detail for someone who is keen to extend Drupal beyond its basic functionality. Well set out, as seems usual with Sams books. Would recommend (needs a better proof-reader in its second edition though!)
on 15 November 2012
This is a well written and constructed book but it's still hard going and probably because Drupal to a newcomer is about as friendly as a pit bull. My site is built and I've probably only read 50 random pages of this book but googled all over the net for Drupal tutorials. This book will be my Drupal reference but it wasn't the quick start I was hoping for and it's more Drupal 6 than 7 which didn't help at all.
on 11 May 2013
Gave up and taught myself HTML and CSS instead. Lacks coherence and makes huge leaps between chapters so you can be following step by step one minute and feel you've missed a couple of chapters the next.
on 4 October 2013
Really good starting point. Especially good for advising which Drupal modules you need to install in order to get Drupal to actually behave like a Content Management System...

What - You want to edit text in a WYSIWYG? You need a module for Drupal
Oh... you want to be able to upload images? You need an additional module for Drupl
and the list goes on

The only thing I would note for this book is that it seems to have been written around the time that Drupal was going from version 6 to version 7... (a major upgrade!)... Drupal is about to release Version 8... so, it might be worth holding fire and getting an updated book. Because a lot of the modules I just mentioned are likely to be part of the core in Drupal 8.

Anyway, well written (as SAMS usually are!) and was the lever that I needed to up-shift to be able to confidently say we could do Drupal...
on 11 February 2013
I used my christmas holidays teaching myself Drupal and bought this book. Whilst step by step works for some, I found this more useful as a reference when I came across a something I didn't understand.