I will readily admit that I am not a big reader of fantasy fiction, this series though I have found to be a compelling read. Although obviously with fantasy elements this works so well as it has a historical fiction feel, and that is mainly down to the skill of George R R Martin. Instead of relying on magic and mystical creatures too heavily, as some authors do, the story in this series has a lot to do with politics and warfare similar to what has happened in Europe in the past.

As you come to this book you will notice that we meet some new characters, and actually meet Mance Rayder at last, as well as a whole load of wildlings. As the wildlings make their way over the Wall and into the Seven Kingdoms, how will their actions play out against the problems already faced in this land? Joffrey may sit on the Iron Throne but it is obvious now that really he has to bow to his grandfather, who really seems to rule, and actually has some idea of what to do. As fighting still goes on in places, it is mainly a time to make alliances and strengthen positions. But always there is the menace from over the sea, that no one but we readers seem to know about, namely Daenerys.

I am immensely enjoying this series, and hopefully the next book won’t disappoint either, as this is a series that is very easy to get into and definitely holds your attention.
on 3 March 2015
This review was first published at M's Bookshelf - http://mssbookshelf.blogspot.com

I honestly have no idea how to write this review. I mean, how many more ways are there to express my LOVE for this series? Unlike other series, I don't feel like each book tells a story on it's own. I've already started the next installment, just because there was no way I felt like another chapter was closed.
By now I do have my favourite characters, and characters I don't enjoy reading about all that much. But even that I consider to be a good thing: it slows you down just enough to actually enjoy the reading process. Westeros is a dangerous world to get caught up in and it's so easy to forget you don't actually live there and you do have a life and things to do outside these pages.
Looking back on my review for book #2, I think this one was a little - and I mean LITTLE - more slow paced. I think each individual character and story line got a bit more attention.
For fans of the series: this is the point where book and series start to show some differences, especially in timing and of course detail and depth.
That's it really. The book is another fabulous installment in an even more fabulous series.
on 27 December 2013
The book is a great book which was wanted as a Christmas gift and is in a very good condition
on 24 July 2014