Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 July 2017
I had this book recommended from someone at church. I bought the kindle edition thinking it would be good to read it on holiday in four weeks time, however, I started reading it as soon as I bought it and literally had to stop myself from reading! It is compelling reading and in such a style that I was zoned in immediately I can't wait for moments of relaxation in four weeks time!
on 19 July 2009
This is an awesome book and surprisingly has only just been published this year (2009). The authors take each chapter to address specific issues (e.g. Jewish Feasts, Discipleship, Reading the Scriptures) and bring out Jewish culture, providing the context in which we can understand Scripture. It's intriguing and yet no so academic that it is inaccessible. The only thing that grates at times is the first person voice they use at times when describing each other's experience, but I'm sure I'll get over that! Definitely worth a read.
on 21 September 2012
Previously, I have reviewed some of Ken Bailey's books, and in the light of them, I decided to buy "Sitting at the Feet of Rabbi Jesus". Sadly, I found it did not match my expectations. I suppose I expected it to be as academically rigorous as Bailey's work, but despite there being some real gems of insight, I found its folksy tone, and the exercises printed at the end of chapters distinctly twee.

If you are looking for a light, and readable introduction into the world Jesus Christ lived in them perhaps this is the book for you. If you were looking for something meatier, I would recommend Bailey's work. Alternatively, you could follow C J Craig's advice and read J P Meier's works. I have not, but I think I will follow this reviewer's suggestion and buy at least the first volume.
Sitting at the Feet of the Rabbi Jesus is a super read. Giving clear details of the Jewish route of Christ's teaching. I particularly enjoyed the explanation of the Sermon on the Mount. The information concerning the Jewish Festivals and how they link to the Christian faith was also very useful.
The authors, I am pleased to note, see the Jewish Faith as a relevant faith in it's own right which was super to read. A good book for anyone looking for an introduction into this subject.
Yes this is written by Americans so does have a USA use of English but that does not distract from a good read.
on 22 July 2009
As books go, if I were to recommend one book as a quick and dirty introduction to all things 'jewish roots' this may well be it. It is written in a style that is easy and flows smoothly. The major elements are covered such as Jesus' semitic background, idioms and figures of speech, the festivals of Leviticus 23, and what it means to be a disciple.

The book uses some fantastic metaphors to make the language and topic come alive. Like I said the style is relaxed and so you don't need a phD to understand it and there are copious footnotes and references as well as questions to ask yourself (which is good).

The book also has a nice pretty cover and the pages are clear and easy to read.

All in all - excellent.
on 21 May 2012
Jesus was Jewish, raised by an observant family in the Jewish homeland. When he taught, he was speaking to Jews equally steeped in their own culture. We, the modern Western readers, don't have the traditions, culture, or even language, to appreciate fully what Jesus did and said.

This book digs into that tradition and culture to give a deeper understanding of what Jesus said and did.

It is well written and an easy read. It is a book for reading, not aimed at dry, academic study.

Did you know that when Mary, sister of Lazarus, was described as "sitting at Jesus' feet", that describes her being recognised as a disciple?
on 9 March 2011
I enjoyed this book hugely. It has deepened a hunger in me for more understanding of 1st century Jewish culture, so that I can understand the Bible better. I am now buying more books on the subject. I would recommend "Sitting At The Feet or Rabbi Jesus" to any Christian, whether you've been one for 5 minutes or 50 years.
A good book with some very interesting and helpful information relating to the Jewish background of Jesus. Makes our understanding and subsequent teaching of others more accurate.

Some of the information I already knew from previous publications. A good read, but not the best book I have read on the subject. However, I can still recommend it as being worth reading.
on 19 June 2013
this books takes gods word and applies it to the time that jesus walked in israel, and the words of Jesus are given with a new insight... ie it explains how a first century traveling rabbi would explain the word from a cultural point of view... ie it not was Jesus says but what he leaves out when he spoke to the priests at the temple on the day he rode the donkey... find out how deep his insult went!

as you know Jesus said to forgive seven times seven is well known but it is taken from genesis when boasted by lamech of his pride .... over the top.........so to forgive seven times seven means ... your forgiveness should be as over the top as lamechs boast was of his pride... read it you will find words of Jesus opened and like me be fascinated to learn to look from first century eyes.... buy it
on 12 October 2013
Anyone curious about 1st century life and customs in the time of Jesus?? This book is nicely written, and insightful.
The one thing that I've found a little annoying is that they could have written twice as much. Some of the themes could have been developed further, and just as it starts to get really exciting the subject moves on.
However, this is a really good read for anyone wishing to deepen their faith.
This book also shows just how important understanding the Old Testament is!