Platform: Nintendo 3DS|Edition: Standard Edition|Change
Price:£10.79 - £49.99

on 25 November 2011
AMAZING GAME!

If you grew up playing the Sonic series you will immediately feel right at home, as this takes our favourite blue hedgehog right back to his roots with a high-speed side-scrolling platform adventure that's been given a 21st century makeover thanks to the power of the 3DS.

Each level is split into three stages: Classic, Modern and Special. Unlike the PS3 and 360 versions of the game which give you both side-scrolling and free-roaming versions of the same areas to explore, the 3DS version sticks to the retro side-scrolling gameplay we all know and love. Rest assured though, that the Modern levels do feel very different to the Classic ones, thanks to Sonic's arsenal of extra moves and some very nifty camera angles which really make this game stand out from the crowd. After these have been cleared you are given the option of a Special stage, and Megadrive fans will feel right at home with this as it's a race to collect a Chaos emerald. Completing the main stages also opens up Boss levels, with a variety of returning foes including Dr Robotnik and Metal Sonic, to name but two.

Unlike some titles on Nintendo's latest handheld console the 3D effect actually adds to this game. There is a great sense of depth and speed when the 3D is cranked up to the max. I think I've given myself a headache now though, been playing it a bit too much!

The only things I dislike about this game is that it is so short, and the cutscenes are badly done. I have only had it a day and am already 2/3 of the way through the main mode, but there are missions and side quests to unlock so replay value seems to be pretty high. And it's so much fun to play anyway. As for the cutscenes I was expecting something Dreamcast quality, with voice acting, but instead they are boring and mostly text based apart from the odd laugh or "hey". Thankfully they are skippable anyway.

Another thing to point out is that apart from one or two boss battles, and the inclusion of the iconic Green Hill Zone, this game is completely different to the PC, PS3 and 360 version of the title. A whole different set of levels have been brought to life on the 3DS, including Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure and Mushroom Hill from Sonic and Knuckles, so if you're a big Sonic fan you might want to check out the other version of this game on one of the home consoles too.

So, well done SEGA. A great game. Now how's about a 3D port of Sonic Adventure with enhanced graphics?
Bought this for my young grandson, after remembering the concept of the game from many years ago. Computer games come and go but Sonic has stood the test of time. No I am not an expert on computer games, far from it, but some things stick in the mind and I remember the original Sonic very well from my own children’s time.

I suppose a yardstick for any computer game is how long it can hold the attention of the player. In the case of Sonic, holding my grandson’s attention is not the problem, it is getting him to stop playing it, but with sensible parenting this is not too difficult.

Many people feel that playing computer games is a waste of time for children, but with this type of game it does encourage them to use their brains and also helps with them with their dexterity and perseverance. If only these skills could be transferred with the same enthusiasm to their schoolwork.

There may be more sophisticated games on the market now, but my grandson loves this one and that makes me happy, so I can recommend it for that reason alone.
on 26 November 2011
I loved sonic from day 1, those 20 years ago and ever since I have played my fair share of Sonic games.
This is an excellent title for the 3DS and really shows that Sonic is still going strong.
The music, the graphics, the gameplay and the special Emerald stages all make for classic sonic! You have a 2D sonic level, and modern sonic level for each stage and these are true to the original remakes with eye popping 3D environments with remixes tracks of the original score which sound perfect.
True, the game is short but the replayability is more than enough with over 100 missions to unlock plus extras!
Another great game for the 3DS
on 5 July 2015
Love this game 4 year old still plays with it, so purchased another one for 7 year old, other Grandson 7 year old he has finished all levels and when asked if he enjoyed it he said yes it was good, Their Dads loved it when it first came out too.
on 2 December 2011
Personally, I have found most of the recent Sonic the Hedgehog games extremely poor overall to the point that I decided to stop playing them completely. However, when I saw that Sonic Generations contained "Classic Sonic" as well as levels from the older Sonic games of the 1990s, I decided to give this one a go for the nostalgia factor. So far, I have played a few levels of the game and have been pleasantly surprised. The Classic Sonic levels are brilliant - they have stuck to the original layout of the levels such as the Green Hill Zone from Sonic 1 and remakes of the original music scores are also used. The controls for Classic Sonic are the usual run, spin and jump combination so they're nice and easy to use.

The part of the game that I dislike are the "Modern Sonic" levels - these pretty much involve holding the boost button as much as possible whilst using homing attacks to launch Sonic towards various enemies, springs and flippers scattered around levels.

The game begins by launching you straight into a level without any story to start you off and give you any clue as to what is going on. The story is shown beginning after you finish the first level as Classic Sonic and you are shown a little scene of the modern Sonic and Tails chatting away, with the usual cheesy dialogue that is to be expected in the most recent Sonic games.

It's pleasant to come across remade music tracks throughout the game - for example, the level select music is like the level select menu music from Sonic Heroes.

Overall, I would recommend this game mostly for the nostalgia factor and the gameplay of the Classic Sonic levels. If, like me, you are not a fan of the more recent Sonic games but you did enjoy the older ones, then it is possible to tolerate going through the modern levels just to get to and enjoy the classic levels.
on 2 February 2012
The 3ds version of Sonic Generations was never going to be as warmly received as the console version, but considering it was developed by Dimps, the team behind the love it or hate it sonic 4, it actually turned out pretty good. First of all, forget about poor physics. Dimps have pretty much nailed how classic sonic should feel which is a huge plus. I didn't even mind that they give him the homing attack ability about half way through the game because it's still a lot of fun to play with or without it.
The modern sonic stages are pretty good too, even if they feel a bit empty at times and can be usually be completed by holding the boost button and jumping every now and again. But overall his levels are fast and fun to replay for better times. So far so good. My main problem with this game is that it feels very rushed. For instance, Sonic Generations on console features 9 stages, this features 7. The level design on consoles is completely original, on the 3ds, classic sonic's mega drive levels are simply remakes of the original levels. It's dissapointing. Overall though, it's still a good game. But for people who can choose between the 3ds version and the console version, your best off sticking with the latter.
on 2 December 2015
Ive have received a secondhand game, with a battered box with torn off stickers and instruction manual with holes in , I paid £18.00 pounds believing I was buying a brand new game, no where was it stated it was secondhand, I certainly didn't opt for a secondhand one, I'm currently waiting for a refund , I'm disappointed this has happened just feel deceived this close to Christmas .
on 29 November 2014
I'll keep this short: this game has nowhere near enough levels, which funnily enough is the same problem the "big brother" console versions had. It's the best Sonic game of recent times, but you can beat it very quickly and there isn't as much to do as in the other versions of the game. If it had twice as many levels then I would have given this a higher mark, but most people are going to be able to complete this within a few hours at most.
on 27 December 2012
I've been sceptical of Sonic games recently, given their poor performance, but this was asked for as a gift and has been good enough. It may not hold a candle to some of the best games in the series, but it has so far been fun to play and a decent enough game for the 3DS.

Each level has two acts: Act 1 with Classic Sonic in a 2D side-scrolling level; Act 2 with Modern Sonic in a 3D 'adventure' level. The controls between the two differ thanks to their different abilities (for example, Modern Sonic can do a homing attack) so at least initially it may take some time (and a death or two) getting used to how the two control. The boss levels are a bit unusual, starting off with a race against an enemy before Act 2 opens up for the actual boss fight -- initially I thought the race was the boss fight.

Gamers who've been playing the Sonic series for many years will see a lot of nods and call-backs to older games in the franchises; not just the level design but also some elements inside the levels (camera facing backwards while you're running away from something: Sonic Adventure; chaos emerald catching: Sonic Heroes). If you only have the option to play on a 3DS and have a Sonic fan in the house, this is at least worth a look; if you have other consoles which this game was released for I'd go along with other reviewers and say to get it on a different console.
on 29 July 2013
As a kid the only sonic game I played was Sonic Heroes on PS2. After a recommendation from a friend I purchased this game. I must say it is not nearly as enjoyable as Sonic Heroes and the story has little to do with the levels you have to complete. If completing a level was not enjoyable for you for the first time, don't fear, as you get two other chances to complete a variation of the same level.
Perhaps it is because I was never that into Sonic that I am not enjoying the game at all. However I am persevering with it, as I am too stubborn to not complete it. From now on though I think I will stick to mario, taking everything at superspeed doesn't do it for me.

See one answered question