Other Sellers on Amazon
SAWYER PRODUCTS Mini Water Filtration System
|Price:||£90.90 FREE delivery.|
- Package Content: 4 x 0.5 Litre drinking pouch, 4 x Sawyer 0.10 micron hollow fibre membrane filter, 4 x Cleaning syringe, 4 x Drinking Straw.
- Ideal for outdoor recreation, hiking, camping, scouting, domestic and international travel and emergency preparedness
- High performance filter fits in the palm of your hand; weighs just 2 ounces; 0.1 Micron absolute hollow fiber membrane inline filter
- Attaches to the drinking pouch, a standard disposable water bottle, a hydration pack, or use the straw to drink directly from a water source
- Removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as salmonella, cholera and E.coli; and 99.9999% of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium
Frequently bought together
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
Customers also shopped for
Have a question?
Find answers in product info, Q&As, reviews
The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is a second generation filter that is the lightest and most versatile personal filtration system from Sawyer. With a total field weight of 2 ounces it fits in the palm of your hand. This tiny filter does the same job that the Sawyer PointOne filter does but now in a more compact, personal size. The Sawyer Mini filter is perfect for everything from camping with the kids to traveling abroad where tap and bottle water cannot be trusted.
The filter removes 7 log (99.99999%) of all bacteria (like salmonella) as well as other harmful bacteria which causes cholera and E. coli and 6 log (99.9999%) of all protozoa such as giardia and cryptosporidium. These removal rates equal or exceed other filter options. Guidelines from the U.S. EPA allow ten times more protozoa left in the water than Sawyer PointOne filters allow.
Attach the Mini to the included drinking pouch, use the included straw to drink directly from your water source, connect it to hydration pack tubing (sold separately), or screw it onto standard disposable bottles (28 mm thread). The Sawyer Mini Water Filter is rated up to 100,000 gallons. It comes with 16-ounce reusable squeeze pouch, 7-inch drinking straw, and cleaning plunger.
Since 1984, Sawyer Products has offered the best, most technologically advanced solutions for protection against sun, bugs, water, and injuries -- everything from first aid kits developed for wilderness to point-of-use water filters that filter contaminated water to levels cleaner than U.S. bottled water.
1 x fiter, 1 x 16 oz pouch, 1 x 7" drinking straw, 1 x syringe, instructions
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
So why did I buy the Sawyer Mini (SM)? Well, I was interested to try a different water filtration system to compare it with the DTT I normally use.
What are the advantages of the SM:
1) It is much lighter than the DTT (SM = 53g vs DTT = 138g including bottle) so is good just to keep as a back up in your back pack when out trekking (DrinkSafe also produce a lightweight 'Waterstraw' 40g currently £16.95 which has superior filtering to the SM but is not as versatile)
2) Versatility i) You can use it like a filter 'straw'. It actually comes with a plastic straw that you just place in the water and drink filtered water.
ii) You can screw it into many different bottles like coke bottles or the 16oz bag that it comes with (this 500ml bag is way too small for practical use and Sawyer should provide a bigger more usable bag). It also combines well with collapsible water bottles such as the Evernew bottles. It also screws into my Platypus bottles but water does leak through the thread when under pressure which is not good for potential cross contamination. iii) You can also use the SM as an in-line water filter with back-pack water bladders.
3) The SM can be flushed through using a syringe that comes with it. This means that you can keep the filter clean and filtering pretty much forever and Sawyer claim that the filter is good for 100,000 gallons of filtering which is incredible. This is a big advantage over the DTT which can't be easily flushed through. You therefore have to be careful with the DTT not to get too many particulates in your water and clog up the filter. You will never be at risk as the DTT will always filter out contaminants but will eventually clog up. Nevertheless, Drinksafe claim it is good for 1600 litres and I have had bottles for several years and they haven't clogged up yet (I am careful not to get too many particulates in the water though).
What are the disadvantages of the SM:
1) SM DOES NOT FILTER OUT VIRUSES AND CHEMICALS - this is one MAJOR disadvantage of this water filtration technology compared to the DTT in my opinion. For highland water courses where farm chemical run off and viruses are less of an issue this is not a problem. However, I want a water filter that is good for both highland and lowland water courses - ie. wherever I happen to find myself. In this case the DTT is far superior.
The above comparison means that I couldn't use the SM as my only water filter unless I know that I'm only going to be in higher areas with no agricultural run off. The DTT will therefore remain my default and most usable water filter when out trekking and the one I would recommend to people looking for a water filter that filters out pretty much everything a British water course can throw up. However, I will probably take the SM along with the DTT when I'm wild camping to use it to filter out particulates when decanting water into my DTT. This will prevent my DTT from clogging up knowing that I can flush out all the accrued particulates from the SM later using the syringe.
In conclusion, if I had to buy just one water filter, I would buy the Drinksafe Systems Travel Tap Pull Top. Used in combination, the Sawyer Mini can be used to provide particulate free water for the DTT. This is how I will use them together. The DTT wins on what it will filter out from the water, whereas the SM wins on versatility and flushability. The DTT wins overall in my opinion as the filtering of viruses and chemicals is my most important concern with a filtration system. Hope the comparison is helpful to potential buyers.
My plan was to use it on walking trips to reduce the weight of my bag. However, I have found it so good at improving the taste of the tap water in my house that I use it to fill my water bottle for the day. I have conducted a taste test on my wife who wouldn't usually approve of such purchases. However, she picked the filter water as tasting better and commented on the crispness of the taste.
It is very simple to use, simply fill the pouch from any water source, attach the filter and squeeze. The flow rate is pretty quick considering what it is achieving. It is also very light but appears to be very sturdy.
27th April Update - You must be careful to ensure this product doesn't experience freezing temperatures. I had left mine in the back of the car over the xmas period. When using it in Feb I started to doubt its filtering ability as it appeared to let small visible bits through. This might have been in my head as it made me stress out a little. However there was an element of doubt that prevented me being able to use it. I have binned it and since brought another. From now on it will be stored indoors!
I am currently looking to find a bottle that it attaches to and understand that a smart water bottle is what I should be looking for.
I very much recommend this product for anyone going abroad wishing to make their water safer and to use on day and multiday hikes. It is difficult to go wrong considering the relatively low price.
Most recent customer reviews