Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 August 2010
This book is part of the Space Marine Battles Novel collection published by the Black Library. These collection of novels aim to give the reader a greater understanding of the Space Marines than ever before and also to try and provide and stronger link between tabletop gaming and the Warhammer 40K literary universe. This book does exactly that.

This book deals specifically with the Crimson Fists Space Marine Chapter and the assault upon their homeworld of Rynn's World by the Orks of Warlord Snagrod. After the near annihilation of the chapter following the destruction of their fortress Arx Tyrannus the chapter sets out to survive the coming weeks against all adds until reinforcements arrive. This book tells that tale.

The two main characters of this novel are Chapter Master Pedro Kantor and Captain Alessio Cortez, who fans of the Warhammer 40K tabletop game should be familiar as they are or have been playable characters. These characters are well developed by the author Steve Parker, and the reader gets to see a greater deal of interaction between Space Marine characters than in many other Black Library Novels.

Also included in this book in the middle pages are a couple of glossy colour maps and diagrams of the area of Rynn's World and the the surrounding lands that really help the reader to visualise to conflicts mentioned thoughout the novel. In addition to this if you are a fan of the Warhammer 40K tabletop game then these maps can be really useful and they can help you plan a narrative based campaign based on the novel - recreating engagements described in the book.

Overall I would recommend this book to any fan of the Warhammer 40K tabletop game, Black Library novels or even just a Science Fiction novel fan in general.
on 11 March 2010
A Space Marine version of The Seven Samurai and The Transformers v The Hords of Mordor and Scrapheap Challenge, without too much Space being involved.

A fast paced blood and guts adventure that started well and promised much but somehow failed to deliver in important places and the ending was a sadly damp squib.
on 31 July 2011
I really enjoyed the reading of this book. I have alrealdy read everything about the horus heresy novels, and a few more omnibus from W40K.

I didnt bought this book earlier cause the ratings of another people weren't good enough, but after the reading, I'm expecting more Space Marine Battlers to be produced by Black Library.

Wonderfull characters, amazing one per one duels, heroic deeds, zealous astartes, everything you are expecting from a space marine novels.

You enjoyed some of the horus heresy novels?. DON'T MISS that one!!!

(Forgive my poor english, cause my mother language is spanish... :) ).

"There is only the emperor..."
on 12 February 2011
This book wasnt what I was expecting at all - the crimson fists were my original chapter that I painted my very first plastic space marines when I was a kid, and the story is very different than the ego I had made up for them! Some of the other reviews slate their Chapter Master (Kantor) but I think he is hardcore - exactly what you would expect from a warrior and a diplomat/ strategist. A very unusual twist in the story that I am sure had its origins in older space marine literature, but it was inserted nicely into the story. What surprised me was how some of the characters are portrayed - some with compassion and feeling for their human lessers, and some with outright loathing/ disdain. Ive never thought space marines would be like that considering their heritage and overall job? Makes for good reading, with some skirmishes well written, but little on the scale of big battles like Helsreach - get some titans in there :) Still a good read that I would recommend - Black Library often doesnt do poor books, so that goes for most of them though!
on 25 February 2012
This book gets a lot of bad reviews, which to be honest I don't think are warranted.

I bought this book when it first came out but by the time I got around to wanting to read it, there were so many bad reviews of it on here, I decided against it.

However, then I read Steve Parkers "Gunheads" which is part of the Imperial Guard Vol II omnibus and I have to say I really enjoyed reading it.

As it was then the month Games Workshop were celebrating their WH40K 25th anniversary I decided I would in fact read Rynn's World as it seemed rather fitting and I have to say I'm glad I did.

For a start a lot of people moan about the characters being two dimensional and not developed enough. Let's face it, Black Library isn't in the business of writing novels that are out to make us think of the futility of war and work on various levels, they are about war, whether it's with a boltgun or a bow and arrow and the characters in this book are developed enough for the story to flow.

The fight scenes are detailed enough to be believable and visualized without being too in-depth on every bullet fired or axe swung and although the desperate journey from Arx Tyrannus to the capital may be brief, again the story has to flow so the author has to condense what would just be weeks of repetitive hit and run skirmishes into something more digestible.

The book did start off well and get worse as time went on but it wasn't so bad that it spoils the story, I think the problem was trying to tell the story of annihilation of an entire chapter of Space Marines was given to the wrong author. As I said before Gunheads was an excellent read, but that was mechanized guard, so possibly the author doesn't have enough experience in writing about astartes to fully convey their mindset, but he does a dam good job and the parts where the survivors are torn between the future of the chapter and the safety of some civilians they find is believable.

I gave this book three stars as it's certainly not the best, but it deserves a lot more credit than it is currently getting.

To sum up I would say it ticks all the boxes we expect of a space marine novel without being anything exceptional. It's an easy read that will be quickly forgotten once its finished, but that's no bad thing as if all authors were in the same league as Abnett or McNeill, then they wouldn't be as good as they are would they!
on 9 March 2010
It's not always easy being a well-read, reasonably intellectual and imaginative thirty-something, and also be a life-long 40k fan. As I have grown-up, my taste in fantasy/sci-fi has evolved to become much more demanding, and when you are reading Steve Erickson, R Scott Bakker, China Mielville (sp), you cant help but become a bit...picky. Because of this, most of my experiences with 40k fiction are disappointing and unsatisfying. I realise that the target audience is significantly younger than myself, and that the BL (and GW in general) are notoriously poor payers (I know, i've worked for them), so it's not really surprising - pay peanuts and get...well, you know. But - and here's the thing - some of the Heresy books are dead good. Which makes the quality of stuff like Rynn's World a little less forgivable.

I was very excited when I read that one of the oldest 40k stories was going to be fleshed out and finally get a novel, and it gives me a little faith back in GW that there are still those involved in the hobby that have long memories. I think the bare bones of the story were printed on the back of the very first plastic Space Marine miniatures box, way back in 1986-ish, so its been around for a while, so perhaps was always going to be a bit of a let-down. But then again, the Heresy has been around for a bit too....

The story is flimsy; especially how the author handles the passage of time; you are informed that the siege lasts months and months but have no real feel for this at all. Characters are clunky and one dimensional; Orks are yet again portrayed as little more than big green clowns that we are somehow supposed to believe have the nous to knock out communications arrays, fly jets, and build 100ft-tall walking killing machines. Non-marine human characters are introduced in a 'space marine novel by numbers' fashion that suggests the author had read other stuff like the HH and thought that they maybe needed to put some normal people in, without much thought behind it. And perhaps worse of all, Pedro Kantor, leader of the Marines, is...well...a bit of a douche-bag, to be honest.

Finishing Rynn's World was more of a chore than a pleasure, and the other reviewer than had the audacity to compare it to Gemmell's Legend needs thrashing. If you love 40k and are under 21, you'll probably enjoy it. If you are a fully-fledged adult, you'll probably be a bit disappointed.
on 19 April 2011
Rynn's World is a perfect example of a decent story being executed with minimal effort. It never truly convinces the reader that it either knows or even wants to tell the story of Rynn's World. The plot is a minimalistic mess when following Chapter Master Pedro Kantor and an underwhelming display during the city chapters. Of greatest concern was the piece meal way in which Steve Parker used the few respectable human characters, never developing them beyond their opening impressions and sparse comments. To be truthful most of the average, everyday Imperials are a comtemptable lot constantly requiring the presence of the Astartes to justify themselves. Not that Kantor is particuarly inspiring as are any of his men, playing out the roll of Space Marines like they were cut from some generic stock book the Black Library keeps to hand for it's less accomplished writers. The idea of a planetary invasion and the devastation of a Chapter is an interesting one, but when compared to the battles at Dan Abnetts Verunhive and Bowden's Helsreach, Parker comes off all the more amateurish. It demonstrates also the Black Library's inability to differentiate between a well written and engaging story and... well, Rynns World. They really do just shoot in the dark and hope for the best. A pity really, i'd always liked the Crimson Fists. But it's always a gamble out here in the 41st Millenium I suppose.
The Ork invasion of the Crimson Fist homeworld of Rynn's World is one of the more famous battles the Space Marines have been involved in and is the defining moment for the Crimson Fists Chapter. This book tells the story of the invasion and is split into three parts. The first sees the first indications of trouble and details the invasion itself, part two follows Chapter Master Pedro Kantor's famous trek to New Rynn City and the final part details the retaking of the New Rynn City Spaceport.

This was a good book that I would admit could have been a lot better. The battles are all very good and the story is interesting, even if veterans should no what is going to happen. The major failing with this book is that it could have been written a bit better with some silly mistakes in the writing and an overly descriptive style which, although probably quite useful for beginners, is somewhat annoying to someone who has been involved in the hobby for as long as I have. Another minor problem is the leaving out of the story of the Land Raider Rynn's Might which is one of my favourite parts of the history of the invasion of Rynn's World.

Despite its faults `Rynn's World' was still an entertaining read that I had trouble putting down in places. I would say that the first two parts of the book are the best but it is all a reasonably good read.
on 16 November 2014
Rynn's World is probably my favourite release from The Black Library in their 40k range. This book is a solid read, plenty of lore and Space Marine's blasting Ork's like there's no tomorrow. So what the majority of readers are looking for.

The novel itself is very easily read and you can follow the narrative easily. For me, I was actually excited to see what would happen next, hoping that the Crimson Fist's would hold out just a little longer! (They're the chapter I play). The characters are interesting and more real and true to lore than some of the 40k books I've read. I would have no problem recommending this book to Warhammer fans, and also people who like Sci-Fi.

Sometimes the Black Library released can be quite restrictive. For example, if you don't know the lore of 40k you may not enjoy the fiction. This book, however, is very accessible and readable! An author to watch!
on 12 October 2011
When I started reading Rynn's World, I really enjoyed the introduction of the characters and the way of life within the Crimson Fists. However, this promising beginning soon descended into factors that I found either implausible or annoying. There were too many similar instances of one on one combat; the walk across the continent by the remaining Fists seemed to take a couple of days; the timeline of the siege was entirely confused. Add into this the fact that the ending was insipid and I felt incredibly dissatisfied with Rynn's World. This is far from the best from Black Library and I cannot recommend.