Customer reviews

on 4 April 2017
One mans philosophy of how important running is to his life. I enjoyed it and I took a lot away from it
on 22 March 2015
I was very disappointed by this book, and I struggle to understand how other people find it inspirational and funny. The author seems vain and somewhat misanthropic. The book is full of psychobabble, and constantly references the sayings of others, particularly Ortega and Emerson, in an attempt to support his own vague ideas about life. He's also an adherent of William Sheldon's discredited theories, which effectively say that you can tell everything about a person, personality and all, just by looking at them. It's as crazy a theory as phrenology, and a disturbing belief coming from a medical doctor. It doesn't help that he's a Christian, and sees a divine power in the background. This book has practically nothing worthwhile to say about either life or running.
on 11 May 2003
Running and Being is the most important book written on running and a pretty good introduction to complexities of Being. Sheehan is the most inspired of the sports poets crafting the central axion of man returning to his body as the antidote for the poorly lived life. Having read it four times, it continues to inspire. Running and Being reads as it is; a series of occasional magazine vignettes, and consequently can be dipped into for inspiration rather than require a serial read.
The journal format provides rich material for the philosophical athelete or anyone who has "discovered their own play".
Sheehan, first writing in the seventies, is the first of the running writers and with no legacy, pulls his thoughts from an eclectic mix of medicine, philosophy, theology and sports journalism. Running for Sheehan is both the most natural activity of the body and a mystical experience where the individual athelete has to face his/her frailties with complete candour.
The reader will likely engage with Sheenhan and want to follow up the threads he develops. To this end the republished "Running and Being" still lacks from not including directed follow up reading.
on 8 February 1999
For the Sheehan neophyte, let me say this, this is NOT a book to learn how run better. It IS a book to become a better person. Dr. Sheehan is simply one of us; a runner who happens to write. The beauty of this book is that Sheehan doesn't candy coat his stories. He tells running as it is, as he is. You'll read this book and continually say, "My god, that's it, that's what I feel, that's how I am too." Soon, things you'd suspected about yourself, become clearer. Questions like, "Why do you run?", begin to have meaningful answers.
I have read tons about running and if I had to rank them, all Dr. Sheehan's books would be on the top of the list (But "R&B" is the best of his stuff, so start there). If you want the definitive book on all the technical details about running, get Glover's "Competetive Runner's Handbook" (make sure "Competetive" is in the title). If you want or need helping understanding life, read all of Sheehan's stuff. Heck those two books (Sheehan & Glover) are really all you need for years of PR's and spiritual growth.
on 16 May 2013
If you are looking for a book about how to train and with a program to follow this is not it.
This book is much more than, this is about the why of running, and the why of life too.

I purchased the kindle version of this book, and I have highlighted more passages and quotes in this than any other book. It is a book I will return to. Although this book is over 30 years old, it says more or less everything about the philosophy of running.

The kindle book is well formatted as well.
on 5 January 2014
Great read as everyone has,said about to reread again loved it will enlighten delight inspire and drive you to experience
on 28 March 2015
I was really looking forward to reading this book, but found it utterly tedious. If you are not American you will find it, as I did, incomprehensible!
on 1 January 2015
Very entertaing and funny read. It is excellent for inspiration. Makes you put on running shoes and hit the road. Great book for new runners.
on 10 September 2013
I was expecting philosophy but not religion - too many references to scripture and god for my liking. Didn't bother to finish the book and was really looking forward to reading it initially. I'm not a religious person just a runner with an interest in philosophy. Should have been called, 'Running, Being & God' - and then I would have been able to avoid it. Very disappointing.
on 9 September 2014
First half very dull, second half not much better. I nearly gave up with it after a few chapters but because of the other good reviews I continued as I though I'd be missing out later in the book. I wouldn't have missed out if I'd have stopped.