on 20 January 2018
Almost a life changing book for a long term runner coming back to training after some time in the wilderness! A revelation to realise that you can at least maintain your performance on less running. I wouldn't say it's made me faster, but hard to compare to previous times because I had several years of not training regularly before reading this and getting back to work. I followed the novice marathon train training programme and my finish time was pretty much exactly as predicted in the book, so am satisfied that it works!
on 15 November 2017
This was an easy, engaging read. I look forward to trying this training method out for my upcoming marathon. I also appreciate the added strength and flexibility exercises included.
on 1 November 2017
Brilliant
on 20 September 2017
Great Book perfect for a runner with family commitments since using the three runs a week program I'm feeling less tired than previous marathon programs I've used and able to work harder in training.
Bring on the Bournemouth marathon in a few weeks.
on 26 September 2017
very informative
on 27 November 2013
I've always had the theory that if everyone who trained for a sport would cut their training time in half, their performance would improve. While this book doesn't advocate that exactly, it proves the idea that training a lot less does improve performance. The method is called the FIRST program, which stands for Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training.

The book is for anyone who wants to improve their running performance and is divided into 5 sections. The first section explains the FIRST approach, where a "3 plus 2" format is the foundation. This means you have 3 quality runs each week and 2 cross training workouts.

The second section is how to follow the program. Briefly, one day is a cross training day, then a "track repeats" day, then a cross training day, then a "tempo run" day, a day of rest, a "long run" day, and then either another rest day/or optional cross training day. Cross training days include activities such as cycling or swimming.

The 3rd section covers performance factors which include such things as running in hot and cold climates, nutrition, and injuries (readers who have plantar fasciitis that interferes with their running might also be interested in The 5-Minute Plantar Fasciitis Solution).

Section 4 covers supplemental training, which I feel is an often overlooked/skipped part of running training. Here you get info such as instructions and pics on how to strength train and stretch for running (important!!).

Section 5 ends the book with info on how to qualify/train for the Boston Marathon and then there are several handy appendices.

Backed by studies conducted by the authors, this is a great resource for anyone who wants to get better results with less training.
11 Comment| 37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 February 2013
I really enjoyed this book, and am looking forward to training for and running my marathon. I will have to wait and see if the program works, but the book has really got me motivated and pumped for my marathon. I've only completed one week of training before writing this review, but already I am very impressed. The training sessions have been challenging and I am clear about my estimated marathon finishing time and the outcome of each training session. I brought the book for my Kindle and was a little concerned about a negative review that said the tables didn't display properly - I had no such problems, every part of the book is more than readable.
on 2 February 2015
I would still class myself as quite a new runner - 2 years in! This is a good book, but perhaps aimed at people who do over 20km a week regularly. Even though it is called 'Run less', you still have to run 3 times a week, plus 2 CV sessions, plus stretching exercises, plus strength training exercises. Hard to fit in to my life! But it is motivational. It is FULL of tables. Lots of paces, times, distances, etc. If you are UK based, or perhaps even not in America, you may find the references to the Boston marathon, and the devoted chapter a bit annoying. Also, whilst the authors proclaim to have tried to add metric units in for the non American readers, they haven't done it throughout the book.
on 15 December 2017
Great training system for someone who doesn't want to do big mileage and/or who also enjoys another sport such as cycling or swimming.; I hit my sub 3 target thanks to this system.
on 8 June 2013
Very informative book that helps you organise your running before a race. It looks complicated at first glance but it is not, A very clever and scientific way of training. It lets you run only 3 times a week with cross training 2 times a week to vary things. all training is based on your fitness level. 5k,10k, half and full marathon. But I would recommend you have a basic level of fitness.