- Actors: Clark Gable, Burt Lancaster, Jack Warden, Brad Dexter, Don Rickles
- Directors: Robert Wise
- Writers: Edward L. Beach, John Gay
- Producers: Harold Hecht, James Hill, William Schorr
- Format: PAL
- Language: English, French
- Subtitles: English, Spanish, German, French, Portuguese, Swedish, Polish, Dutch, Finnish
- Dubbed: German, Italian, Spanish
- Subtitles For The Hearing Impaired: English, German
- Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9 - 1.66:1
- Number of discs: 1
- Studio: Twentieth Century Fox
- DVD Release Date: 27 Nov. 2000
- Run Time: 89 minutes
- Average Customer Review: 63 customer reviews
- ASIN: B00004Z2YZ
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 13,362 in DVD & Blu-ray (See Top 100 in DVD & Blu-ray)
Run Silent, Run Deep [DVD] 
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
|Watch Instantly with||Rent||Buy|
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
Robert Wise's screen adaptation of the novel by Commander Edward L. Beach. Commander Richardson (Clark Gable) is the only survivor when his submarine is sunk by the Japanese cruiser 'Bongo Pete'. Assigned a new command, Richardson becomes obsessed with revenge, ignoring orders to avoid the Japanese Bongo Straits and drilling his crew in manoeuvres designed to destroy Bongo Pete.
From the Back Cover
Rich" Richardson (Clark Gable) is a hard-driving, dedicated submarine officer with a single-minded purpose - to seek out and smash the Japanese destroyer he believes sunk his former ship. Given a new command, Richardson drills his men to the point of mutiny as he relentlessly trains them for the battle ahead. At last, word comes of the destroyer's position, and, disobeying orders, Richardson finally confronts his foe unaware that an even greater enemy lurks nearby...one who's been targeting him for a watery grave.
Co-starring Burt Lancaster as Gable's executive officer, this gripping WWII adventure thriller set a new standard for submarine pictures. Severely, nail-bitingly tense, Run Silent, Run Deep is the most exciting film made about the "silent service" ever made.
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Their face-off is a long time coming but there's plenty to keep things lively in the interim as Gable's plan inevitably goes wrong, it becomes clear that the Japanese were expecting them and they find an unexplained signal. And once the crew rallies for a return engagement there's a couple of neat twists and a particularly gripping game of cat and mouse and near misses that benefit from some excellent blocking of the underwater sequences that make each torpedo run particularly suspenseful. There's a good supporting cast - Jack Warden, Brad Dexter, Don Rickles and Lancaster's old circus partner Nick Cravat in a rare speaking role among them - and the 93-minute running time keeps things from getting slack.
Kino Lorber's Region A-locked Blu-ray offers an occasionally variable 1.66:1 widescreen transfer - most shots have excellent clarity and depth, some look softer and at times in the first couple of reels there are shots where the left side of the frame seems slightly out of focus while the right is pin-sharp even when it's clearly not an artistic choice - but for the most part pretty good. Like MGM/UA's DVD, the only extra is the original theatrical trailer.
a desk bound American naval commander
usurps a sub commander exec who believes
he should be in command during a tense mission the new commander
has his own agenda, which is to destroy a Japanese destroyer
that the commander believes sank 4 submarines not including his own
good film with a twist
pick a time when you can guarantee you won't get interrupted and stick it on and you'll see why it's one of the very best.
The acting is really good & totally believable Clark Gable & Burt Lancaster are excellent. One to watch again & again. Loved it !
Would you like to see more reviews about this item?
Most recent customer reviews