on 29 January 2014
Basically, as you would expect with a multi-channel miix, the sound really opens up with the extra channels. Instruments - and voices - that are buried (almost totally) in the stereo version are more audible. I've read reports of people not liking the vocals on the SACD but to me they sounds fine - but then again I'm not using high end Hi-Fi, just a Sony S4100 blu-ray player feading a Panasonic Blu-ray home cinema system - I just like multi-channel music.

Is it worth the massive price increase over the normal CD? OK, so SACD is a better digital system over Red Book CD, resulting in a sound closer to analogue vinyl, and 5.1 sound is a bonus, but nearly two and a half times more? I suspect that it's a personal judgement; I think I got reasonable value for money, but this is one of the reasons SACD is such a minority audio format - the cost. If priced right - and pushed better - then it could have done two things; one, killed off CD with a superior product, and two, halted the backlash against CD by people who regard CD as Just Not Good Enough and helping the vinyl revival. OK, so the 16-bit sampling of CD is not good enough, and 24/96 (like DVD Audio) is much better, but in the late 70s anything above 16-bit might well have been too expensive for the audio market to take - CD was expensive enough! Maybe if SACDs like Rumours had been released then vinyl would now be as dead as wax cylinders...

Still, what do I know? I'm just someone who - as I said - likes quad and 5.1 sound, and this album is a good example of the genre.
66 Comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 November 2016
I bought this album because liked The Chain. I was never very good at remembering which bands played what, and so was pleasantly surprised at how many songs on this album I knew and liked - I'd simply never paid attention to who the were by. This CD lives in the car and is put on regularly, and the MP3 versions are on my iPad and phone. An excellent addition to my music collection.
on 10 February 2016
Such a great album! If you are a Fleetwood Mac fan then you will love this album! This was a VINYL version and the quality was superb. There was not much background noise and the when played loud you could still hear the quality of the vinyl.
on 6 May 2013
I bought this for a friend and trusted to luck on the quality of this CD version - she says she loves it so that's all good. This review, then, is really about the album itself - an irresistible collection of songs that seem to get better with age. I bought Rumours at the age of eight because my babysitter and her rather cool, post-hippy friends got me into it. I owned it on tape and loved all the rabble-rousing anthems; but it's only as you get older that you appreciate their subtext, let alone get fully to grips with the haunting honesty of Songbird - please, will someone instigate a law against X Factor contestants and all other warblers ruining that song!? - it was perfect to begin with, so there really is no point! The second side of Rumours is subtle, downbeat and atmospheric. 'The Chain' went some considerable way towards upping the profile of Formula 1 but is an absolutely fantastic song in its own right and a gripping start to Side Two, nicely heralding the change in tone - of course, this doesn't come across so much when you play it on CD, but just imagine that you poured yourself a beer and turned it over.
To conclude, it is a truth universally acknowledged that great albums are borne out of pain, suffering and heartache and, if we were blind to it at the time, it has since become clear that all was far from well in Camp Mac when this beautiful album was being made. So thanks be to them for getting on with it and giving us something to treasure.
on 8 February 2013
I bought Rumours when it first came out, and loved the songs for what they were. 35 years on, with so many records in between, I still go back to Rumours and every time I wonder if I will ever hear a single album that has such emotion and songwriting running through it from start to finish. Of course, everybody now knows that Rumours was conjured from such a tumultuous time for 4 of the people involved, and that makes the whole album even more emotional and amazing.

I am not always a fan of repackaging albums, playing with the mastering etc, but they have done their work on this with skill. It is cleaner, a bit sharper, but the songs remain the stars. I love the live second cd, proof that there was no recording studio trickery. Steve Nicks has a stunning voice, Christine McVie has a raw emotional quality, Lindsey is an underrated guitarist, and Mick and John provide such a solid foundation for the others to paint their songs on.

Musical perfection.
on 3 February 2016
A totally excellent version of Rumours. I am generally not a fan of 'live' albums, but the tracks on disc 2 are very good indeed.

This is certainly better than buying the standard single disc edition, as the live versions of the songs are well worth a few ponds more.
on 16 November 2009
There are few bands that divide opinion in the way that Fleetwood Mac have. That a leading light in the raw-edged British Blues scene of the 1960's transformed into arguably the ultimate AOR band of the 1970's divides the fans of each incarnation even now. Love it or loathe it, this is a classic album and deserves a longer review than I would normally give.

It's not difficult to see why fans are divided: the original Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac were among the best of the raw British Blues bands. Green and fellow guitarists Kirwan and Spencer each had their demons, simultaneously adding to the passion of their music and ultimately destroying the band. Fan affection for these troubled souls and the thought of what might have been has resulted in vitriolic scorn for their 70's counterparts.

After treading water for a few years, Fleetwood and (John) McVie - now with fellow 60's Blues artist (and John's wife) Christine in the band - recruited Americans Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks. A new beginning was signalled with their eponymously titled first album which reached no. 1 in the US album chart. It was far removed from the earlier albums both musically and lyrically: replacing the typically masculine "My woman done me wrong" style of the Blues with two female songwriters to one male opened up the group to a wider female audience for the first time; the softer rock sound also appealed to those who don't normally like rock music.

Finally it was time to record the eagerly awaited follow-up, Rumours. The signs weren't good, with personal divisions in the band and far too many months in the studio over-dubbing (the booklet tells an interesting story that there were so many overdubs, the original master tape began to wear thin!). That the resulting album has gone on to become one of the biggest selling of all time, and the album most associated with the term AOR is held as an example by both camps. Fans of the newer incarnation hold up its success as testament to its quality, while fans of the Peter Green line-up hate its mass-market "sell-out" appeal.

As a blues/hard rock fan I was in the Peter Green camp so I hadn't bought this album until one day in the 80's I finally got round to finding out what the theme music was to the BBC's old Formula 1 programme. Discovering it's the final section of The Chain, I bought the album. Initially I didn't like it, too soft to be rock but not commercial enough for pop, but it did sound good (on vinyl) so I played it and eventually learned to love it. Lindsey Buckingham is a hugely under-rated guitarist and his work on this album is understated but impressive. Unfortunately he'd left the band before I got to see them in 1987 but their live performance added a raw edge to these songs.

When CD appeared, I did buy this album but I've hardly listened to it since. I now know why - reading some of the earlier reviews of the remastered edition, and having heard how much better the Led Zeppelin remasters sound - I ordered this one. In the early days of CD, studios rushed to cash in by releasing albums mastered from late generation master and even vinyl editions. The Led Zeppelin original CD issues sound very similar to the original Rumours release: flat and dated. The re-mastered edition sounds dramatically better. The acoustic guitar at the beginning of Second Hand News now sounds like fingers on strings, not a sample of a guitar. The drums on the intro to Dreams now have real snap and there is a bottom-end to the sound that gets your foot tapping.

The second disc of bonus material is better than we might expect. The rough and outtake versions of the songs have their own appeal, less polished but rawer and more emotive. To pick an example, Don't Stop features just Christine McVie's piano plus bass and drums, with her and Lindsey duetting. It has a wonderfully spontaneous feel to it. Of the two jam sessions, Mic The Screecher you'll only listen to once, while For Duster (a reference presumably to tragic fellow Blues artist Duster Bennett) is interesting only for Lindsey showing his guitar chops for once.

To sum up, in these days of minimally talented production line cash cows, any fan of real music, written and performed by people of great talent should be buying albums like these. The difference in sound quality alone makes it worthwhile buying.
on 4 October 2015
This deluxe package exceeded my expectations which were already set pretty high. I had coveted it when first released, but it's exhorbitant price prevented me, however when I saw it was being sold for a little over £30 incl postage, the temptation got the better of me & I'm delighted that I did. The 180g vinyl sounds sublime & the CDs of outakes, demos & material that didn't make the grade are a thrill for any FM fan. The packaging is in itself a work of art. I really can't fault this in any way.
on 27 May 2017
40 years old yet my 2 kids(both under ten) play this album to death. All time classic.
on 20 March 2016
Well what can be said about a legendary album, with all the turmoil and their personal problems that they had during the recording, it's an absolute
masterpiece, and to have a deluxe edition to boot well why not. And gee what an amazing price too, although i must admit i have probably listened to Rumours so many times, you could almost sing it in your sleep, that's how popular the album is, an all time classic