on 14 January 2015
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. It is amusing in parts - mainly because this author may well be Hyacinth Bucket! The writing is school standard and much detail that would have made the book more interesting is missing - but never mind, it gave me a laugh over a couple of evenings.
on 2 December 2013
First book I've given up on in 1st chapter - just after she expressed surprise that their cruise table companions showed no interest in their stories. If she talks like she writes I might have requested another table to finish the meal.
Bought this before a trip to Barbados as thought it might be interesting to read someone else's experiences but I just found it pretentious, boring and not a little irritating.
Perhaps at 67 years old, I am just too young to appreciate how interesting this person may be. I am certainly too impatient to waste any more time reading how special she thinks she is.
After giving up on this lady, I discovered my wife had also given up on the book although, to be fair, she persevered a bit longer than I did !
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 December 2013
I love the author's zest for life and her willingness to jump head long into any experience! I read her first book about her adventures on the French canals and I really enjoyed that. I haven't been lucky enough to go to Barbados but the author makes, parts of it at least, seem so very attractive that if I get the chance I will be visiting if I can. I have to say that I agree with her about some of the less enjoyable experiences of modern travel which are generally caused by people who have only a superficial interest in the places they are visiting! It is good to hear that the true adventurers' spirit is still alive and well in Eugenie Smith. Enjoyed it a lot!
on 7 December 2013
I have enjoyed all Eugenies books, I think she is an Author you either like or hate her style of writing, I personally enjoy all her tales and her enthusiasm for life.
on 15 October 2014
Good read especially as I'm going to Barbados next month
on 24 September 2014
Ok but not as enjoyable as her other books