on 6 January 2005
After never playing rugby in my life (my only experience of the game was watching England lift the world cup in 2003) I decided to take it up with a local club. However my first training session was a farce!! I decided to read up and this book fitted the bill perfectly. No matter if you are a complete novice or have experience in the game there is a lot for you in this book. It covers every aspect of the game and insights from rugby legends. This book was invaluable to me and some of the lads at my club reckon it is a cracking read too!!
on 3 March 2006
No arguments here - its a very comprehensive beginners guide as well as being a great reference point for those who have some experience, but dont know the ins and outs of all aspects of this complex game. I found it very useful as an experienced rugby spectator who is making the transition to the pitch - its hepled me come to terms with the experience on the field without having to ask my team mates stupid questions.
on 30 January 2011
Having never played the game (Swimming and Water Polo for me)and having sat pitch side for over twenty years watching all three sons play club and county level, I thought it was about time I become a little more aquainted with in 'ins and outs' of the game especially when confronted with comments from my wife such as 'even I knew that!'. Yes, she even knows the 'off side rule' and I should have done this years ago.
The book?
Easy to read, amusing, informative and in logical stages. It's all there even if you already have a 'certain amount of armchair knowledge'. I'm sure you will find something you didn't know or as I kept thinking 'oh, is that why, I didn't know that?' I have even caught the boys out with rules and regs with my new found friend.
Money well spent. If you've just started playing it is a must. You will understand a lot more from a complicated game.
Considering my next purchase, Cricket for Dummies - never really understood that game either. Nah, I'd rather watch paint dry!
on 20 May 2011
If like me, you don't really understand the ins and outs of Rugby, this is a great introduction. Too often I've watched a Rugby International, understood 80% but been completely bemused by some of the penalties. Now at least I've got a chance of getting it !
on 3 May 2011
As typical for the ...."For Dummies" series. The Rugby Union edition is an absolute must for speactators and players alike to understand the often complex details of the sport. Having been both a player, and latterly a keen follower of my local club I have found it has greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the sport.
Whilst there are more technical rule books, I would recommend this book for readers who don't want to delve too deep. The style is relaxed and full of humour and useful tips.
on 28 July 2009
I very much enjoyed this book with it's humorous and entertaining presentation. It covered a lot of general R.U. information and history as well as the basic essential laws of the game. For me, as a fairly new recruit to the rugby terraces I was still left with a quite a number of unanswered questions, but all in all, in the space available, it did justice to it's title and was a good read, well worth the money. Rugby Union for Dummies Second Edition
on 13 November 2003
My previous experiences with For Dummies sports titles was an Aussie edition of Aussie Rules for Dummies, which I devoured because the author had so thoroughly explained the intricacies of the game and histories of prominent teams. I had hoped that the rugby union volume would be similar--but it wasn't. Rugby Union for Dummies provides a good overview to those new to the game but it is a bit lacking on explaining the roles of the 15 position players in anything more than a highlight. Top leagues and teams in the UK are detailed but, again, only at a high level. Several chapters are given over to playing or supporting rugby at a local level. While this might be a major portion of rugby union at the UK grassroots level, it doesn't really help those of us abroad understand the game we see on television. I learned a lot from this book--don't get me wrong--but I felt I could have learned more.
11 Comment| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 October 2009
If you want to learn about Rubgy Union this gives you a good insight into the game. It is also full of humour and interesting bites of information - it is an enjoyable read, whilst educating too - what a way to learn!
on 30 May 2016
Bought it as a joke gift for my coach, ended up actually reading some parts of it. It has a lot of roundabout information anout Rugby Union, a lot of which is not really important (e.g. info about Twickenham Stadium). I would of liked something with more tactics in it. Not bad.
on 21 February 2015
really easy to read and to understand.