The 1st Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War (New Irish Military History) Hardcover – 19 Sep 2002
Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
This is a new kind of battalion history that brings to life many of the personalities involved with all of their human strengths and weaknesses, ignoring the Dulce et Decorum approach. Having fraternized with the Germans during the Christmas truce of 1914, the 1st RIR fought (as part of the 8th Division) at Neuve Chapelle, Fromelles, Somme, Pilkem Ridge, Langemarck and Passchendaele. Then came the controversial move to the 36th (Ulster) Division in January 1918. They suffered heavily during the retreat of March 1918 and then were part of the final advance through Flanders until the war ended. The book is innovative in its approach due to the wealth of detail given in the many appendices. Apart from the awards and casualty lists, there are details of the 301 men who were courtmartialled, including a transcript of the trial of the only member to be executed. Biographical information on nearly 300 officers who served with the unit at various times, including the medical officers and chaplains is supplied.All available files, only recently released in the Public Records Office at Kew, were fully researched to give a fascinating glimpse into the make-up of a group of officers in a typical Irish Regular formation. Jimmy Taylor, a Dubliner, works as a civil servant in Co. Wexford. He has published a number of articles on World War One.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > United States
- Books > Biography > War & Espionage > World War I
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Europe > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions
- Books > History > Military History > World War I
- Books > History > North America
- Books > History > World History > World War I 1914-1918
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Warfare & Defence