on 17 February 2016
As a router novice this books been a bit of a revelation to me. There's a mindset to getting the best out of your router and this helps the beginner tap into it very nicely. You will need some 5mm polycarbonate to make some of the jigs which will make life so much easier for you. The only problem is it's written for the American market so it's in Imperial. If your an old guy like me then measurements like 14 27/32 will be fine but if you've been brought up with the metric system a bit of conversion and rounding off will be required. I personally prefer the simplicity of metric so have been doing this without too much trouble. All in all though this book is well worth having.
on 16 October 2013
As I own a Router this book came in very hand as I was getting near the end of building my first wooden boat, (Its still afloat). Though I will say its I found it a bit techie as I haven't had the router all that long, but it was a good guide. It was also delivered before the estimated delivery date.
VINE VOICEon 9 June 2005
This book takes a simple power tool, the router, and shows how to work with it by making and using jigs. The range of tasks that can be undertaken using these jigs is vast and the instructions in the book are clear and concise. The book is written in an easy going style so that it is enjoyable to read. However, this is a workshop manual and it the best one on my bookshelf on the use of the router. If you want to use the router to its full capabilities then this is the 'must have' manual.
on 7 April 2017
As a total beginner I do not have the skils or some machines to make many of them - as a DIY person
on 20 January 2003
About me:
I have just bought a router & as yet have not used it, I have a limited knowledge of woodworking techniques. I am about to engage on a Major project.
Workshop:
None, use "workmate" in Garage
The Book:
Router Magic is well written & presented book, that covers Jigs & fixtures from simple centering devices, circle cutting, 'T' squares, dowling jigs, up to complicated turning devices & vacuum clamping.
The User:
Not for the beginner, For the confident user to expert woodworker
Comment:
Some of the simpler jigs I will make & use , but larger items require a good size workshop & will only be of use to those with permanent facillities
on 25 February 2011
This book covers a range of practical projects, from basic jigs (some of which are commonly described in other books) to complex and ambitious projects. Thankfully, there are no descriptions of commercial jigs and fixtures of the kind that cause some woodworking manuals to become quickly dated.

Both the instructions and the illustrations are very clear. Where some other woodworking books fall down in providing muddy pictures and unlear text, this makes a refreshing change. The writer excels in his practical guidance on achieving accuracy. At some points, however, explanation is overdone. For example there are are two sequences of illustrations to show that countersunk screws have a self-centering action not available through using panhead screws (though the point has already been made quite plainly in the text).

Though the book comes from the USA, readers in the UK should have little difficulty translating the different terminology sometimes used. Imperial linear measurements, given without metric equivalents, can be slightly more of an obstacle.

As for the author's writing style, tastes will differ but for me the chatty informality is a little irritating even on the first reading; in order to create one of the jigs described, it's necessary to reread those cheerful, chirpy interjections over and over again.
on 22 January 2009
This book is a fantastic companion to one of the most versatile woodworking machines on the market today. Its well laid out with plenty of photographs to illustrate the author's points along the way. With each jig you are given a complete set of instructions, a full cutting list and a list of all hardware required. So no excuse for guesswork ! The main subjects covered are :

Boring
Mortising
Router tables
Surfacing
Turning

I personally have found this to be an invaluable resource and cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 21 January 1999
Great tips and ideas with detailed construction information for all of the jigs, guides and useful accessories.
I found a number of items that I was thinking of buying for my Router could be made quite simply by following Bill's instructions.
A couple of the tips that were really an aside to main text of the book were so key for me that it was worth the money just for those nuggets of information...
...this is the first book I'd buy even before I plugged the thing into the wall !
on 31 March 2013
This is my husbands book, who has started woodwork as a hobby and for his retirement later on. He found it very informative and helpful with tips.
on 11 January 2013
Well written and informative, most tips are useful and imaginitive and have helped me get more out of my router. Thanks Mr. Bill Hylton.