on 16 August 2007
I took this book along with others to Tuscany - my first visit. We were staying in the middle of Chiantishire and found the book invaluable and for our limited time there, accurate. There are detailed descriptions of Florence and Siena but also some helpful guidance on the Tuscany villages. Useful because the villages take time to get to and we needed to prioritise. Very accurate about the restaurants and trattorias we used.
on 5 August 2009
A comprehensive and entertaining guide, well written and informative. Although I accept that in the main gazeteer section the emphasis is on towns and cities, the contexts section gives a broad overview of the history of this beautiful region. Have a couple of other Tuscany guidebooks, but this is the best by far. Highly recommended.
on 18 June 2007
I bought this guide before we decided where to go exactly, and the place we went to in the end didn't feature in the book at all. It's main focus is on the larger towns & cities, so if you are planning to spent some time away from these - the guide is not great (though it does the cities well). It also gave some misleading information on some towns, describing them as unpleasant - we thought they were lovely!